Reducing Ground Accidnets.... Is there something more we can do? Ideas?

The forum could include a list of accidents that have happened and suggestions on different ways to handle the situation that could have prevented the accident.
Gyro Doug

When I flew Powered Paragliders, probably the biggest website for info sharing, as The Rotary Forum is to Gyros, was WWW.USPPA.ORG. One of the links on that forum was to INCIDENTS http://www.usppamembers.org/incidents/incident_list_public1.cfm .

This was a self reporting format where a pilot or witness would report an incident/accident to that sites' administrator and it would be posted for all to see. It was a way for everyone to learn from the mistakes of others.

An Incident Thread could easily be added here on our site...

I am now workiing on the first draft of the brochure at lunch.

If any one has photos of people working on gyros could you please email them to me or post them here??

Thanks!

Lessons from the tragedy!

Lessons from the tragedy!

I am pleased that some here on the forum are paying attention to this very expensive lesson.

My hanger mate, John Ready, chains his Acrosport to the hanger while he hand props her and has a release in the cockpit that he uses once he is secure and ready to taxi.

When I would start a SparrowHawk according to the procedures, I would make a mental note of what to do if the engine ran away because my hand was already on the key/ method of stopping the engine. It is easy to forget that the ignition switch is quicker and go for the throttle with the same hand, leaving behind the option of turning off the key quickly.

I have had run away engines on other vehicles and the noise is very intimidating and it is easy to freeze long enough to exacerbate the challenge.

When I start the Lycoming on the Predator, both the lean cut off and the magneto ground switches are close at hand. I practice shutting things down with my eye shut.

Only the left magneto is ungrounded but I am aware that it is easy to have problems with the P leads. Part of what I learn from the magneto check is that the P leads are working. If either magneto didn’t have an RPM drop I would not fly until I had located the source of the challenge and fixed it.

Any aircraft is a very unfamiliar place for someone with limited aviation experience. Brakes, throttle and steering are not where they are expected to be and work in an unfamiliar way. In my experience this unfamiliarity causes a delay in appropriate response.

I find benefit in writing emergency procedures for the Predator and practicing them when there is not an emergency. An example would be for engine runaway; Lean cut off full back, throttle full back, magneto switches forward, toe brakes equally on, look for the least expensive thing to hit.

Thank you, Vance

I would add "When servicing your aircraft, do not use the aircraft as a resting place for tools or parts. It is too easy to forget them and have one pass through the prop upon startup."

A screwdriver of mine is probably still in low earth orbit as a result of disobeying this rule. Didn't help the prop much, either.

Also, many carburetors make a distinctive "click" when the throttle is reduced to idle. Listen for this click from the carb when you put the throttle at idle before startup, to confirm that the throttle control has worked. Carbs such as the Bing slide unit can stick; if this occurs, it will not be obvious from the feel of the throttle handle.

1st Draft, Please review

1st Draft, Please review

Here is the first draft.

I know fonts are messed up and things are not aligned and the address is missing.

Before I get all that right I want to see if the content passes muster.

This is a Tri-fold brochure, made to be printed on both sides of a piece of paper.

Please comment.

Attachments

• Ground Safety Gyro Brochure Draft 1.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
This might be going abit too far, but for those machines that use a clutch on the redrive it might be advantagous to PLACE SAFETY CONES BEHIND THE MAIN GEAR when starting up. The prop doesn't spin immediately on engine start-up, which is good for the engine but bad for a stupid unseen bystander. .......

Could you explain this one? If you start to taxi away won't the cones have a chance of getting chopped up?

Tim, I think your right. Them cones are going through the prop.

I like it. Simple and to the point. Not overloaded with too much info. Perhaps though, another additional question could be included such as, " Do you alwys practice SAFE START-UP procedures? "

Great work Tim.

Maybe state that it is best practise to have a pilot in the seat.

Way to go Tim! PRA rocks!
'Let me know when it's a final copy and I'll publish it on the current PRA site too.

Last edited:
I like it. Simple and to the point. Not overloaded with too much info. Perhaps though, another additional question could be included such as, " Do you alwys practice SAFE START-UP procedures? "

good idea. will do.

Great work Tim.

Maybe state that it is best practise to have a pilot in the seat.

Will do, thanks!

Way to go Tim! PRA rocks!
'Let me know when it's a final copy and I'll publish it on the current PRA site too.

Because it has the PRA logo....

Once I have a final draft I have to post a copy for the board and prez to look at. If no objections then we are go.

Same with the MySpace and Facebook, once we are done I have to post the info to make sure there are no objections.

Please keep up the input! I plan to finish it tomorrow during my lunch.

Could you explain this one? If you start to taxi away won't the cones have a chance of getting chopped up?

The placement of cones would be the triangle's point BEHIND the prop, before the tail and out a bit from the main gear, or outside the VS of a twin-tail. I don't believe they would get "sucked into the prop" being 5' away from the prop downwind, and probably wouldn't even be blown over as you pull away. Cones have heavy bases that keep them pretty stable. It's a visual "Hazard Area", especially with one on each side.
It's just an idea to potentially save a BODY from getting chopped up.

Last edited:
Can we supersize this ??

Can we supersize this ??

Excellent so far.

I'm not too sure PRA will want their name attached, liability etc.

My Question.
Can we supersize it.

What about web pages dedicated to gyro safety.

It can include the accident/incident reports mentioned by someone earlier.
It could include all the advice so far about where to put tools, duplicate inspections of critical components, what to do if.......... happens.

I am thinking along the same lines as the leaflet but much more in depth.

Any Thoughts ??

Excellent so far.

I'm not too sure PRA will want their name attached, liability etc.

My Question.
Can we supersize it.

What about web pages dedicated to gyro safety.

It can include the accident/incident reports mentioned by someone earlier.
It could include all the advice so far about where to put tools, duplicate inspections of critical components, what to do if.......... happens.

I am thinking along the same lines as the leaflet but much more in depth.

Any Thoughts ??

One of PRA's projects is just that. See: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22279
Actually your idea is split into two sections, in project 3) ii) and x)
Here's an excerpt:

3) New Public Content Online “eZine”

a. The good news the department head positions are filled with really knowledgeable folks.
b. We need researcher looking for articles and press releases for new technologies that apply to rotorcraft and flying. Here are the new sections we are looking for:
ii. Near Misses (Accident reports, how a bad situation got saved).
x. How to: How not To! (Safety articles)​

Looks like the rest of the BOD liked it!

Duane Hunn added some good missing points.

I will be sending a copy to AllIn for the PRA web site.

Thanks everyone!

The pamplets look good Tim,, but will it put extra expense on the PRA budget sine there is already a movement to stop the mag..

Next thing is that new pilots or students need a more recognisable reference for safety reasons.. such as an armband etc..

The Airboss, whomever it may be has long hours trying to assist those already on the runway... (It's NOT Fair to Bill or Rodney) Safety personell should be assigned to help with matters from the hangar down to the runway..

I'm not saying this to vent or a gripe session, we were fortunate not having a fatality this year.. I spoke my mind at the meeting, and meant every word of it. There's no forgiveness for being careless and unsafe.

Now we have a chance to make it much better and safer for everyone at Mentone..

Your headed in a good direction...

Thanks Tim

The placement of cones would be the triangle's point BEHIND the prop, before the tail and out a bit from the main gear, or outside the VS of a twin-tail. I don't believe they would get "sucked into the prop" being 5' away from the prop downwind, and probably wouldn't even be blown over as you pull away. Cones have heavy bases that keep them pretty stable. It's a visual "Hazard Area", especially with one on each side.
It's just an idea to potentially save a BODY from getting chopped up.

How would someone carry the cones to other airfields when flying on cross country flights?

The pamplets look good Tim,,

but will it put extra expense on the PRA budget sine there is already a movement to stop the mag..

Thanks Steve!

The pamplet is digital only so there is no expense to the PRA.

People will be able to download read and print as they wish.

I hope to include a link to it (and other safety info) in a PRA welcome kit that will also be digital only.

Way to go Tim!
Thank you!!!