axle drag struts

Redbaron

Aircraft
bee
How come star bee mounts their drag struts so much forward on the keel than the plans? Debating which way to do it? :violin:

Redbaron : :confused:
I don't know the answer to the question but I like the idea of it being were mine is because there is more metal there.

If I mounted mine were on the top and you had a ruff landing would the metal on the keel fold or bow?

or

If it was mounted on the the with the C-plates that hold the top keel, mast and bottom keel together would it take more abuse?

Attachments

• Gyrobee1-046w.jpg
    Gyrobee1-046w.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Well I took measurements of the 2 struts to see why my tire might be wearing so fast!
On the right side is wearing much faster......
Picture #1 tire wear
Picture #2 strut length is 41-3/8"

On the left side is not wearing that fast
Picture #3 No tire wear
Picture #4 strut length is 41-11/16"

I guess I am going to have to move the right side in a little.......

I checked the brakes and every thing is ok there!

Attachments

• Right tire.jpg
    Right tire.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Left tire.jpg
    Left tire.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Left side 1.jpg
    Left side 1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Chris,
Is that a bent axle tube in pic #2, or a trick of the camera? Looks like it's bent forward, increasing the toe in, and wear.

Dave

Dave B :
When out and checked the strut this morning, it is not bent I guess the camera did the trick photo.....:lol:
but I do have to readjust the linkage. I hope this cleans it up. Also I am going to order the 4 ply tires. $18.00 ea.

Log
I tried to set both struts the same length but found out that was not the problem when I tried to put the bolts back in to the SS U clamps. So I am going to have to tie the mast up so that I can remove the right side axle, strut and shock support.
I am going to change the tire also while I have it off.

Last edited:
Chris, the bottom line is whether the wheels are parallel to the keel (neither toe in nor toe out). Various things could make the struts of unequal length, even when the wheels are lined up properly.

Try putting a long straight edge (4-6 feet) against the rim of the wheel, parallel to the ground and touching the rim or side face of tire at two places (one ahead of the stub axle and one behind). Measure the distance between the front end of the straightedge and the keel, and then the back end of the straightedge and the keel. Adjust the drag struts as needed until the front and back distances equal each other. They don't have to be equal from one wheel to the other as long as each wheel's plane of rotation is parallel to the keel.

Make sure there is an adequate amount of thread engagement between the barrel of each rod end and its stud. If you must screw them out until only a few threads are left engaged, make a new, longer drag strut tube.

On Dominators, this "toe" adjustment is performed with a welding torch, blacksmith style.

Doug Riley :

My axle tube are not sloped or have a bend in the like the gyrobee does. But I did take a framing square and put in on the Keel and then measured the top of the axle tube to the bottom where the wheel attaches and it was square. But the was after my 1st attempt to adjust. On the 2nd is when I got it right..... at the 2 point the keel & axle tube and the keel and the other end by the wheel on the axle tube.

Attachments

• Hang.jpg
    Hang.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1