Pondering Transponder....

automan1223

Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
I visited my local atc at Craven Regional today for a "student" discussion about the airspace around the class D here. During my discussion with the controllers they hinted that the controlling agency responsible for the restricted airspace would be more agreeable to letting me in if I had a transponder.

My question is what is the lightest, lowest cost unit that may fit the bill for a gyro. ? Not exactly in my budget but would be something to save for. Doing my homework.

Jonathan

They're high, at least $1,000 for a new one. I've been looking for a used one.

Jonathan,

If you can find the space for the old standard panel mount transponders, I think 6-1/4" wide is what they are, they'll turn up for $600-800 sometimes reconditioned at avionics shops.

If you need one of the itty-bitties that mounts in a 2-1/8" panel hole, that'll be tough to find a used one you can trust.

I bought a good used transponder off ebay for about $800 with altitude encoder and tray and harness-- took me about a day to put it in the panel and another $150 to get it certified by an avionics tech.

Your comment about needing a transponder however does not quite make sense-- whose airspace are you trying to fly through or into?

Rob

Rob

ventana7 said:
I bought a good used transponder off ebay for about $800 with altitude encoder and tray and harness-- took me about a day to put it in the panel and another $150 to get it certified by an avionics tech.

Your comment about needing a transponder however does not quite make sense-- whose airspace are you trying to fly through or into?

Rob

Rob

I was wondering the same. If it's to fly into Class D - you do not need a transponder. If it's for the restricted areas.... those are best avoided. I imagine the ones in your area are to support Cherry Point MCAS. Lot of high speed, low altitude dudes. The wake turbulance from a AV-8 Harrier will just make your day (briefly) exciting.

R 5306a

R 5306a

Is the restricted airspace I am under. We have approved "airways" in and out of the resticted but once in a while I like to see where I live and make some noise over our quiet town. Now the marines do a good job of keeping the skies filled most of the time but you know there are only a few more than a dozen pilots in the county and I have to do my part for general aviation. CHP will on a rare occassion let me in and play but they always ask if I have a t-ponder and I have a feeling that they would allow me a lot more leeway if I did have one. When I say I only have a radio there is usually a long silence and then they usually tell me no good.

However last week our town had a spirit of CHRISTMAS parade and in years past I taxied my 2 place in the parade or 2. I was crazy cause too many people to hit so the little devil on my shoulder told me to go have a quick flight I called and got clearance. People are still coming into my shop and strangers in the grocery store are asking me if it was I who buzzed the festivities. Well yes I did 1.5 passes and everyone who saw me said I was the high point of the event. Had I known I was such a big hit I would have donned a santa suit or something. I was lucky chp let me in I guess they took the weekend off. I am surprised at how happy everyone was to see me fly....

Jonathan

That is his buddy here in the picture

Attachments

• john1.jpg
    john1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
You fag.

You fag.

Ron, stop drooling about him.

Cherry Point Approach.

US Marine Corps.

They have a lot of authority and handle all air traffic from Oceania down to wilmington. as far as I know.

Well then shouldn't it be CPA and not CHP?

I went through the San Diego Police Academy many moons ago with a black guy, whose sister graduated from the CHP academy. We were all at a party one time and he referred to her as a "Chocolate Chippy." They call the CHP (California Highway Patrol) folks "Chippys." Aaaah. You had to be there.

Ken, you will have ta get an old valve transponder to match you and your "old" gyro!!!!!

I'm just jealous!!!!!!!

A past student of mine is bringing a J-2 up to airworthiness standard, so I might get to fly one yet!!!

Aussie Paul. :)

I know one of the most difficult pieces of equipment for a pilot to justify is a transponder. It does nothing for the pilot or operation of the aircraft. It is strictly for ATC use. It doesn't do anything else. Take a good look at Cherry Point's location in reference to all the other military installations on the east coast. Those guys are in the middle of it from New Jersey to Augusta. Their traffic is helicopters to super-sonics off the coast. Do you really want to be in that airspace with an $800 used transponder? I used to be a controller at Simmons Army Airfield at Bragg. That chunk of air over eastern NC from Bragg to the beach can get a little busy.

Cody;

I like your references to ATC happenings. Maybe we could start a new thread... ATC Vignettes. It could be for real shorties...true or false...that could or would, be mostly entertaining. I've heard and experienced a few over the years, that I've mostly forgotten, but someones posting could possibly jog my memory.;)

Wha'cha think?!

Cheers :)

I think I started one not too long ago. I'd have to search my own threads. I know I posted "PAR, right turns only" for Sikorsky's Cessna 310 when the left nose cargo door came open on take-off at Troy, AL.

Radar.

Radar.

I agree but I could justify it because I view it as an important piece of life support equipment. Sure it does nothing for the pesky wildlife but those A-10s and Harrier pilots sure know how to fly the trees.

I have no luck with used electronics.

Jonathan

Cobra Doc said:
I know one of the most difficult pieces of equipment for a pilot to justify is a transponder. It does nothing for the pilot or operation of the aircraft. It is strictly for ATC use. It doesn't do anything else. Take a good look at Cherry Point's location in reference to all the other military installations on the east coast. Those guys are in the middle of it from New Jersey to Augusta. Their traffic is helicopters to super-sonics off the coast. Do you really want to be in that airspace with an $800 used transponder? I used to be a controller at Simmons Army Airfield at Bragg. That chunk of air over eastern NC from Bragg to the beach can get a little busy.

Jonathan, I have to agree with you on the Wart Hawgs. It is best to know where they are. When you rear-end one it's like hitting a fully loaded dump truck except that the Hawg doesn't go as fast as a dump truck. The Harriers just suck! Anything within 1/2 a mile is in danger of getting vacuumed up. My biggest fear was topping a ridge at tree top level and having an F-16 take a short-cut through the Black Hawk. At least the Hooks and Jollys are big enough to make the fixed wings go around! Then with all that military traffic you add in the high density civilian traffic on VHF while all the green suits are on UHF and the occasional jarhead that can't get a word inedgewise on either that switches to FM. Well, it's enough to make you want to slap the Flight Data guy upside the head just to relieve a little frustration! Then to top it off some ag guy with no radio or transponder catches his Ag Cat on fire and nobody can figure out why he is flying triangles north of the field instead landing next to the fire truck taht is waiting on him!! Actually, it makes you want to smack Flight Data and Final just cuz they are there. I don't blame you for wanting a good transponder!