Hello one and all!

skygoat327

I am considering taking training on gyrocopters over this winter, here in Ohio.

I would like to know if anyone has any experiences with gyro motors that are not rotax or Mcculloch brands. I am looking for a less expensive alternative to these motors. I have been looking at some Honda, Kawasaki, and other gasoline motors in the 28 to 35 horsepower range. Anyone flying a Benson type with a smaller motor than Rotax?

Now, a little about me. 62 years old, retired, used to skydive years ago ( 253 Jumps, Class C FAI license, jumpmaster rating) Absolutely love the air above the ground!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum David! Depending on your all-up weight, it will take at least 45 hp to 55 hp to get a safe climb rate. Some people are using snowmobile engines instead of the Rotax or McCullough. You can read the Engine Section threads in the Forum Tab for information on what others have tried.

Welcome, Type in "Yamaha Genesis 120" using the search feature. Lots of good information on Todd's Yamaha thread.

me: 62 been flying JJ 6 years. Im next in line for the state of the art Yammie genesis (thank you Racer). Get lessons! Welcome.

The mz 202 is cheaper than rotax. A few people use them. Hirths have a bad reputation. The other snowmobile conversions are tough to get a gearbox or reduction mounted. Racer did the initial one with a Yamaha and I think he helped Ron modify one also. Some suburu's are also quite popular.

PS There are quite a few flying gyros around for sale right now. Certainly priced lower than you can build one for. But the best advice is to get some flying time in with an instructor to see if you really want to pursue gyros. It ain't cheap.

Thanks for the comeback

Thanks for the comeback

I'm definitely planning a trip over to Newark heath airport to scare up Ed Newbold for some instruction. Probably early January, if he flies in the dead of winter. Or i might head to florida for a few weeks. This cold weather sucks!!!

Welcome David!

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Welcome David.

Some folks put a EA-81 or EA-82 Subaru on a Bensen. You will be surprised how much horsepower it takes for a gyro, compared to a fixed-wing aircraft.

I would suggest you go down to Wauchula, Florida for the New Year's gyro get-together, but then you'd be hopelessly hooked for certain, and I can't deal with that kind of responsibility :D