A Falcon is hatched.

Ron and Animal:

Man, that ride makes me jealous. I've never rode in a open frame gyro. All my gyro experience has been in RAF's. I wonder what I'm missing?

Unforturnately, I weight about 280 so I'm not a good candidate for a demo flight. Hmmm....maybe I'll have to think about an open frame gyro as my next project.

Merry Christmas to all....and to all GOOD FLYING!!!

Bob

Surprised Tim didn't mention my attempt at trying to PIO the Dominator.....

Flying along at about 50 mph I jam the stick full forward and the quickly full back and then full forward, over and over about 10 cycles worth. The gyro just flew along like nothing was happening. I wonder how many RAF type gyros would get away with this test? This is what you guys who haven't flown a Dominator or simular gyro are missing. The stability is there and the manuverability is also still there. It is a win win type of thing. Bob, I'd take you up but I don't think my 618 could do it... Maybe Dave Seace could take you up in his Dominator if you come to Bensen Days 2008

Tim,
If the tail is too tall and maybe for a 2-seater, instead of raising the mast how much trouble would it be to modify the rudder and shorten it?

Surprised Tim didn't mention my attempt at trying to PIO the Dominator.....

Flying along at about 50 mph I jam the stick full forward and the quickly full back and then full forward, over and over about 10 cycles worth. The gyro just flew along like nothing was happening. I wonder how many RAF type gyros would get away with this test? This is what you guys who haven't flown a Dominator or simular gyro are missing. The stability is there and the manuverability is also still there. It is a win win type of thing. Bob, I'd take you up but I don't think my 618 could do it... Maybe Dave Seace could take you up in his Dominator if you come to Bensen Days 2008

yeah that is something you for sure WILL NOT DO in an RAF!

that gyro is rock steady. Ron gave me a very good demo of what CLT and a Dominatior is like. needless to say I am impressed.

I highly recommend anyone looking to buy a Gyro FLY a dominatior first!
trust me I am sold, but they are out of my price range at the moment.

I can honestly say it was more stable then a cessna 150. even with it not trimmed, it did not do a single thing I did not want it to do.

if I can get my falcon close to flying that stable I will be so happy.
would love to get more time in a dom sometime when it is warmer...:)

Last edited:
Tim,
If the tail is too tall and maybe for a 2-seater, instead of raising the mast how much trouble would it be to modify the rudder and shorten it?

Tim I called Neal at rotorhawk and he said that is the hight of the single place tail, and said they have never had a problem ,but I think I would feel a lot better with more clearance.

Tim is this what you want. 250 pounds as seen with oil.

Attachments

• EJ22Weight1-2003Nov15-800.jpg
    EJ22Weight1-2003Nov15-800.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1
Tim. The ride that ron gave you sounds FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!
It looks like everything is coming together good Just don't let the set backs get to you. Your doing outstanding work, solving the problems is just part of the fun. Good luck and have fun.

Tim is this what you want. 250 pounds as seen with oil.

yep brent that would be sweet, to bad I don't have the money for it, what the price on one like that?
that would be perfect.

Right now i got to get the van or my harley sportster sold.

here are some pics of the toys I need to sell.

Attachments

• IM006061.jpg
    IM006061.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM006067.jpg
    IM006067.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM006064.jpg
    IM006064.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IM006144.jpg
    IM006144.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
Questions on CLT

Questions on CLT

Ok if I am thinking right for true CLT the trust line would go thru the pilots belly area. now correct me if I am wrong.

Now if that is the case, according to my calculations on the Falcon, that would be 29" about the top of my lower Keel tube.

this would allow me up to a 56" Prop and still be CLT.

If I go 3" above CLT point I can go up to a 64" Prop.

From my measurements it is right now 52" from my CLT point to the teeter bolt in my Rotor head, If I go to the 3" above point that would then be 48" to the teeter bolt.

So now seeing I need to rise my head a few inches for more blade clearance over the tail, how will this effect my CLT point will riseing the mast make it a higher or lower point. and if so where would I want my trust line in relation to where it is now?

All these numbers and I failed math in High school...eeekkk!

Or am I completely off on these figures?

Tim. The ride that ron gave you sounds FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!
It looks like everything is coming together good Just don't let the set backs get to you. Your doing outstanding work, solving the problems is just part of the fun. Good luck and have fun.

Larry, all I can say is you are going to love your Dominatior. that is a sweet flying machine.

did some more work this week, new rudder mount.

did some more work this week, new rudder mount.

AS has been noted here I gave Ron the Horz. stab that came with my falcon kit. it had a spherical bearing in it that the Rudder mounted to.

that being said ,I had to make a new mount. here is what I came up with.

it is an a block milled for 6061-T6 I drilled a 5/16 hole in it for the pivot bolt that goes thru it with a luck nut on it. it is mounted the same way the Horz. stab would have mounted it.

now what I want some input on is, should I put brass or teflon bushings in it or just drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting. or do both?

Attachments

• rudder mount-1.jpg
    rudder mount-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks Good !

Looks Good !

Hey Tim, thanks for putting me onto this !

Does Neil sell the stepped keel kits for the KB2 ? What's his contact info ?

Ain't building FUN ? I'll be watching this thread.

Chris,
Neal's drop keel kit is good for the Bensen, Brock and other derivetives.

Thanks guys! I really wanted to keep my KB2 in the classic stock configuration & use an EA81 direct drive with 52/26 Tennessee prop. But since my EA81 with redrive &68" Warp will need a place to go, I may consider stepping the keel .

I will have to call & see what is included with the kit. I wonder if it includes the longer nosewheel setup also.

What is everyones opinion on the nosewheel & steering linkages on the Falcon?

Animal.....In post 56, I am wondering ,without instructions,if you have the steering linkages the way they were designed to go.

Could you reverse the heim joints , flip the angles or at least install washers under the "heads" of the heim joints?

In other words....how did you arrive at this configuration ?

Do the heims have to be loose enough to turn or is there enough movement in the joint itself ?

You have plenty of thread there. You can see that I installed thin nylocs & a washer under the "head".

Otherwise it looks like a clean setup. Those steering links remind me of a Harley shifter rod end !

Can they handle this job ? Springs look pretty soft.

Attachments

• IM004006.JPG
    IM004006.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004001.JPG
    IM004001.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004446.JPG
    IM004446.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Unforturnately, I weight about 280 so I'm not a good candidate for a demo flight. Hmmm....maybe I'll have to think about an open frame gyro as my next project.

Bob

When I started with the gyro there was only open frame home builts and they were the...cats meow, nuttin' better.

Since my RAF experience, there's no way I'd go fly an open frame again. Enclosed, no wind in the face, no goggles and no helmet...that's the way for me. Of course, I've been accused of flyin' like an old lady now, but, what's wrong with that?! How many old, bold pilots are there around? ;)

Note the newest designs...Exnon, SCII.

Cheers :)

Chris,

The pics in Post #123 look similar to the setup in the RAF. The springs primarily are to keep a bit of tension on the adjustment nuts?! IMO, they have no return/centering power.

Cheers :)

Yes Harry, I reverse engineered the RAF & SH setup.

It is also reversed ...my wheel is in front of the pedals. The RAF & SH are behind the pedals.

Also my steering does not count on the rudder cables being connected to work, they are independant systems.

The springs allow for a little self centering in a crab landing instead of being solidly linked. Like small shock absorbers.