New Instructor Applicants.....

automan1223

Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
This morning I was told that the FAA is exploring expanding the Read, write and understand the english language section in the FARs is going to be expanded to initial CFI & SP CFI candidates that a “HIGH SCHOOL” diploma or "GED" equivalent will be required for domestic applicants and foreign applicants will need to have an equivalent certificate / diploma from their native country BEFORE THEY CAN APPLY FOR THE CFI test. ......this is for now just a rumor I heard from a local boater visiting, who works within the FAA. I do not have any more details on this but from what I have been told there are some new significant changes to the instructors program that are going to be coming down the pipe, some good some not so good.... this is just one I thought might raise some interest within this group,.....for now it is just a rumor however....

Jonathan

Based on the speed with which the FAA moves. That may happen around 2015?

LOL

Kandace

What are the current requirements? What steps does someone take to pursue instructing gyros?

I am a high school drop out with no diploma or GED.... And I don't plan to go back to School like Rodney Dangerfield just to teach knuckleheads how to fly a gyro :)

What are the current requirements? What steps does someone take to pursue instructing gyros?

No matter what the rumors are, there is no formal education requirement now, and there is no Rulemaking activity on the FAA docket to change that. FAR 61.183 and 61.403 say only that you must be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.

If you want to be a conventional CFI (able to train for private, commercial, etc.) then you need:
a Commercial gyro rating,
logged flight and ground instruction for the instructor rating,
an endorsement that you know the Fundamentals of Instruction,
a knowledge test on that topic,
an endorsement that you are ready for aero knowledge test,
a knowledge test on aeronautical matters for gyros,
an endorsement for the practical test, and
a successful checkride with an Examiner or Inspector.

It's a little different for a Sport Pilot Instructor (which only allows you to train sport pilots) because there is no "commercial" sport pilot rating. Instead, you need:
sport pilot (or higher) gyro privileges,
125 hours as a pilot,
100 hours PIC in powered aircraft,
50 hours in gyros,
10 hours cross-country with 3 in gyros, and
15 hours PIC in a light sport gyro.
You still need logged training for the rating, endorsements for the knowledge (including fundamentals of instruction) test and the practical test, and the checkride.

Thanks J.R. for the info. I'm seriously considering pursueing CFI under a sport pilots lisence somewhere in the near future. We have no instructors in Texas and there is a demand, I'm not looking to do this as a full time job but to offer instruction for our local people that can't really travel for instruction. I only want to get sport pilot myself and if I do train as that then anyone that wants more would still have to travel but not for as long.

Language Proficiency??

Language Proficiency??

Hi Jonathon,

I was wondering when that will be expanded.

My curiousity,... is it a requirement now on other licences, ie. Private, Commercial, ATPL in the U.S.?

ICAO has mandated (to member countries) that a language proficiency (LP) must be noted right on the licence document itself.

We had to go through the same thing here. My Licence shows LP: English.
For most pilots I know, our GED would suffice. It was a non-issue when this came about.

In our annual recurrent ground school, on the last day we always review other accidents, we listen to the CVR tapes leading right to the end.

Not sure if any of you ever saw the one about The "N" registered jet doing the approach somewhere in (I think) Malaysia. A G4 comes to mind.

The ATC there (on that day) was pretty bad. Every time the crew asked a question regarding a Jepp Proc., the controller would clear him lower. When the captain finally decided he had enough and decided to pull up and climb. They hit a mountain,.... 100 feet from the top.
When the FAA showed up to talk with the controller,........ he wasn't available!!!!!

Didn't mean to get sidetracked.

Jk.

I was wondering when that will be expanded.

My curiousity,... is it a requirement now on other licences, ie. Private, Commercial, ATPL in the U.S.?

ICAO has mandated (to member countries) that a language proficiency (LP) must be noted right on the licence document itself.

English proficiency is a requirement for all types of U.S. pilot certificates, and has been forever. Previously, there was no mention of it on the certificate itself, because everybody knew you had to speak English in order to get the certificate in the first place. Recently, to comply with the ICAO rules, they started putting a statement directly on the certificate. But the way they do it is rather amusing. The statement "English Proficient" is placed in the limitations section!

It's like the old joke:
Q. What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
A. Bilingual
Q. What do call someone who speaks three languages?
A. Trilingual
Q. What do call someone who speaks only one language?
A. American

Last edited:
Its under the radar for now....

Its under the radar for now....

Like I said this is on the down low, it is not in the formal stages yet. It is just being talked about internally. Yes just like the "English" proficiency standard came about, I believe that what drives such rule making is the accident reports.

Just look at what happened with the accident over the Hudson River the other day......they might make a new rule that you have to "see and avoid other traffic" but stick your head outside the airplane to really make sure you are awake after you announce your intentions !!!!

Anyway, like its been said before they, move slowly but it would make it a step in the right direction if the FAA determined after a needs assessment that there are too many sub par CFI applicants, or currently training out there.

Wasp...
If I'm not mistaken...don't those requirements also say something about NO Felony convictions of any kind..?
This too could exclude some for stupid past mistakes with regards to Drug Convictions.
Just clarifying.
(I haven't actually looked up the FARS to be precise).

M-M

FAR 61.15 authorizes the FAA to deny a certificate to anybody convicted of a federal or state drug crime for up to a year after the conviction date, and to suspend or revoke a certificate already issued. There are parallel provisions for drunk/drugged driving offenses, and an obligation to report such things.

There's also a new provision in 61.18 that says, in effect, if the TSA puts you on their no-fly list, you can't have a pilot certificate (duh!). I suppose they might put you on the list if you had a conviction for smuggling by air, for example, even if you didn't have an apparent link to terrorism.

Oddly, I don't recall ever seeing anything that prevents a convicted bank robber from getting a license, if the TSA doesn't consider you a threat to national security.

Last edited:
...Oddly, I don't recall ever seeing anything that prevents a convicted bank robber from getting a license, if the TSA doesn't consider you a threat to national security.

With new Cessna 172s going for a quarter-million dollars, only former bank robbers can afford new airplanes these days.

Or, you could buy an LSA if you've knocked over a convenience store... ;)

Commercial Gyroplane rating requirements

Commercial Gyroplane rating requirements

Assuming you don't already have a U.S. Commercial certificate in another class of aircraft, you need to:

be 18 or older
speak English (this isn't tested separately - during the oral and flight portions of the practical test it will be obvious)
Hold a private pilot gyroplane rating
Get endorsed for the knowledge test
Pass the knowledge test
Get endorsed for the practical test
Pass the practical test

Have 150 hours piloting time, including
100 hours in powered aircraft
25 in gyroplanes.
(The rule says that up to 5 hours can be in a gyro simulator or gyro FTD, but I don't think there are any FAA approved gyro simulators!)

Have100 hours Pilot in Command time, including
10 in gyros
3 gyro hours cross-country.

Get 20 hours of training, including
5 hours of instrument training (in anything)
one day gyro cross-country, 2hrs or more, more than 50nm from departure
one night gyro cross-country (same time/distance rule)
3 hrs of gyro instruction in prep for the checkride, in the last 60 days

Solo gyro time of at least 10 hours, including
one cross-country, landing 3 places, one of which is 50nm from departure
5 hours night VFR including 10 takeoffs and 10 landings

Last edited: