A new heart for the Predator!

Edna and Vance I am so happy for you two. Some people will think that you are lucky to have a soul mate like who you guys have. Luck has nothing to do with it! It was an excellent choice :) at the beginning and it's a constant love, compromising, trust, negotiation, understanding, respect, and every element of life that makes relationships work in general. (yeah it is required to put in some work!) You have already proven to each-other these qualities and that assures pretty much you happiness in the future too. Good for you. I love to hear good stories, and yours is certainly one of them :)

Gabor- Excellent post. Vance and Ed add so much to this forum. No one challenges me as much as reading what Vance posts. I am not saying he is challenging me at all .....but just watching his careful steadfastedness to achieve "his" goals......makes me feel somewhat in a vacuum. I learn a lot from my friend Vance...and need to learn a lot more.

Stan

Progress and fun!

Progress and fun!

I headed up to Smokey’s shop on Monday and we got the new improved alternator bracket finished. It is still made out of 4130 but it is thicker and the base of the tabs are wider to stiffen the bracket and put the stress closer to the bolts.

While we were at it we put a sleeve in the metric alternator pivot for a 3/8 bolt. We feel this will hold the sheaves in alignment a little better.

We also modified the adjustment bracket. It needed a tighter curve to clear the alternator and we shortened it quite a bit.

Bert had already put a 3/8 coarse healicoil in the alternator tab.

Smokey had his usual bunch of neat stuff.

First is an MGA with a supercharged Oldsmobile V8 and a lot of chassis work. As Smokey put it the owner had backed himself into some corners and he was working to get him out. Smokey didn’t do most of the work.

Next is a sports racer that is for vintage racing. Smokey has done most of the work on this and I am puzzled how it can be vintage when it is brand new.

Last is another one of the Indy cars that he helped build and is “restoring.”

It is always fun to spend time with Smokey.

I will take some pictures of the new stuff after the bracket is painted.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 002 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    002 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 001 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    001 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • 010 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    010 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 004 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    004 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
  • 006 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    006 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 005 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    005 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Now we are ready for the new Propeller.

Now we are ready for the new Propeller.

I installed the new improved alternator brackets and alternator today.

Everything went very smoothly and I feel we have better belt alignment.

I added an Adel clamp to the wire so if it hangs by the wire it can’t reach the prop.

The first pictures are the modified alternator, the new bracket and the new adjuster bracket and then a couple of shots of the alternator in place.

I left the battery charging.

I am ready for the propeller now.

Craig Catto was not able to finish the new propeller in time to give it to his daughter at Thanksgiving so she could bring it to me.

I hope to pick the new propeller up Tuesday or Wednesday.

Craig lives in Mokelumne Hill, Ca.

Ed and I are going to make it a romantic trip to the mountains out of it.

We hope to make Santa Paula on December 6.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 011 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    011 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 008 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    008 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 016 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    016 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 017 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    017 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
I miss flying!

I miss flying!

It has been 22 days since our propeller mishap.

Not a cloud in the sky, 58 degrees, wind 030 degrees at 11kts gusting to 16kts and we don't have an airworthy aircraft.

Ed and I are going to head down to the hangar to unplug the charger, clean up, organize and be around flying.

It is a poor substitute for flying but much better than not having an aircraft and hangar.

We know how it feels to fly and we often muse over how a particular landmark around here looks from above or the wonderful feelings that flood our senses in the air.

With our hangar door open we will probably have some friends stop by for some hangar flying.

We will eat lunch overlooking the runway listening to the radio calls and watching fixed wing aircraft struggle with the gusts.

Thank you, Vance

Vance- Hang in there.....You will be back in the air. Maybe in around 100 days I will be back also. Stan

A new Propeller for the Predator.

A new Propeller for the Predator.

I just got a call from Craig Catto and he will have the new propeller for the Predator ready Friday at 17:00 Zulu.

Ed and I will drive to Mokelumne Hill Thursday, making an overnighter out of it.

It is a great place to visit.

We hope to return Friday evening.

I hope to install the new Propeller Saturday morning and make some test flights so we can fly to Santa Paula on Sunday.

I love the drama and the challenge of it. 12 hours of driving and some time at the factory. I hope to learn a lot and I will come back with whatever pictures he allows me to take.

Craig is also going to drill the hub for my Prince Prop to fit the IO-320 B1A so that I have a backup in case there is a challenge with my Catto propeller in the future.

He worked through the last weekend to get the propeller finsihed by this Friday. I am grateful for his generosity.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
Vance

Glad to here you will be back in the air soon. I take it that the Engine folks were OK with the motor not needing to be torn down for inspection due to the prop strike. Keep us posted......

Hey Vance, zoomed on yer alt install. How bout a drilled head a/n bolt on each end of that pretty alternator adjust bracket, saftey wired to the bracket? I know, you already thought of that. We used a threaded tube with a heim at each end for the alt adjust bracket on our diggers. Those automotive brackets are weak. Lets see..oh, you could use a LONGER bolt on the alternator end of the bracket, with a couple of large area washers against the slotted part of the bracket, then, use a jam nut on the back side of the bolt where it protrudes from the threaded alternator boss. OR, you could run a B&C alternator that mounts to the accesory drive boss on the front of the mill.:tape:

Hi Vance,

Glad to read that the repairs are falling into place and you'll be up in the air soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you and Ed will make it to KSZP on Sunday. In fact, I should keep my fingers crossed for I to make it too.

I plan on being at KSZP Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon, my wife and I will be at Los Alamitos JFTB for a holiday and retirement party. Unfortunately, There's a strong chance that cold front will be coming through So Cal Sunday afternoon bringing IFR weather and precipitation. I have access to a friend's C-172, however it is not presently certified IFR, so flying to KSZP and then to KSLI and back home is out of the question for Sunday.

If you and Ed arrive in the late morning, my wife and I could meet you at KSZP, and then leave by noon time to drive down to Los Alamitos and make it to our other event.

Let me know Vance!

Wayne

Hello Mark, the engine folks felt that the most likely thing damaged would be the case.

The run out on the propeller flange is less than I am able to accurately measure. I looked at my notes and it is less than .003 and it shows no sign of being bent.

I am to watch the oil pressure, watch for leaks and change the oil after a few hours of operation looking for metal and cutting open the oil filter.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the advice.

I am trying not to over react.

The two brackets broke in an unexpected way.

None of the bolts were loose.

The new mount bracket is a better design and made out of heavier 4130.

The new adjuster bracket is thicker and uses a 3/8 bolt instead of a 5/16 bolt and I am using a thicker washer.

The alignment of the through bolt with the alternator shaft is better because we sleeved it. This improved the belt alignment with the pulleys.

I am not an automobile enthusiast so I don’t know an Oldsmobile small block from a Chevrolet small block; I just read the valve cover. Smokey was busy making chips when I took the pictures.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
Santa Paula Sunday is the plan.

Santa Paula Sunday is the plan.

Hello Wayne,

I don’t have the confidence in long term weather forecasting that you do.

I will check with Lockheed Martin Sunday morning unless everything looks good Saturday and then we might fly down Saturday night and spend the night.

If there is a chance of rain and IFR I don’t want to be in Santa Paula.

A cold front moving in can mean big winds over the hills around Santa Barbara and that could stop us also.

I am sorry I am not more reliable.

Thank you, Vance

Hi Vance,

I agree about the weather on Sunday. That's why I'm not bothering to use the C-172 for the day. Flying to the two events compared to driving would make my life easier if it was good VFR.

No harm or foul if yo do not fly to KSZP on Sunday.

If it were me, I'd put at least 5 hours on the new prop and mount close to home before I'd venture far from the nest. The number of hours you average in a week just flying locally, the 5 hours would burned off in no time.

Wayne

A visit to the Catto Propeller Factory!

A visit to the Catto Propeller Factory!

We left our home a little after 2:00 AM this morning for Mokelumne Hill to pick up the new propeller for the Predator from Craig Catto.

It was a crisp morning and it took the interior of the Ford van quite a while to warm up.

Ed fell asleep as we motored along through the early morning fog.

The coastal fog dissipated as we climbed the Questa Grade.

We wandered up Highway 101 and turned east at Paso Robles and north when we arrived at interstate 5.

I woke Ed up for breakfast as we neared Santa Nella.

We turned east at Stockton and the terrain became more interesting. In some places there was a strange carpet of fog caressing the low lying fields. As we climbed into the hills the vineyards, rolling hills and oak trees made for a lovely drive. There was a light frost on the ground in patches.

We floated along until we found Jesus Maria road, a very narrow winding road with a big drop off on the right. Because I don’t have depth perception when there is an oncoming car I put the edge of the right side tires on the edge of the road so I can feel where I am. I am used to this type of road and know if I am on my edge and the oncoming traffic is within a foot of the other edge we will miss each other in spite of what looks like not enough room. I did fold my side mirror in. Ed found this disquieting as she peered out her side window and could not see the edge of the road, only the bottom of the deep canyon.

We eventually arrived at the electric gate and we did not have cell service. We were supposed to arrive at 10:00 and it was only 9:15. Ed slipped through the gate between the bars and walked up to the house and brought Craig back with the remote.

I asked Craig if I could take pictures of the Catto Propeller factory and he eventually acquiesced.

I was expecting to see a numerically controlled router and a lot of fancy equipment. Instead I found a dedicated craftsman with a lot of passion and skill. There was not much in the way of tools.

There were bits and pieces of propellers in various stages of completion in a small, somewhat cluttered shop. There was a roof with no walls where he stored his maple and began the propeller making process. I hope the pictures will speak for themselves.

He was balancing my Propeller by drilling holes in the hub and pounding bits of lead into it with a drift and a hammer. He used two round bars mounted and leveled with a bar through the propeller hub to check the balance. He eventually put some two part epoxy over the holes.

The new propeller is completely different. It is wider in places and the twist is different.

He quickly drilled my Prince prop so I can use it as a backup.

He tried to explain about three blade props, the one degree target and the roll each part played in producing thrust over a range of RPM. I am afraid it was what some would refer to as “pearls before swine.”

As we left Mokelumne Hill we passed a restaurant with an interesting roof decoration.

We came back through Hollister so we were not retracing our path.

We returned home a little after 5:00 PM and after a light dinner I was fast asleep.

I hope to install the Propeller tomorrow, fly a few hours, pick up Ed and perhaps fly to Santa Barbara for lunch and then spend the night in Santa Paula.

We are expecting a cold front and rain Sunday evening so it is all very iffy based on the arrival of the cold front.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 004 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    004 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • 009 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    009 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    69 KB · Views: 0
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 013 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    013 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 014 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    014 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 015 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    015 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 018 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    018 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 055 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    055 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Very cool, Vance ! That looks easy....I think I'll try to make a 3 blade wood prop for myself.........NOT !!!

Good luck with this prop & the weather. Try to keep things from going through it !

Hi Vance,

Great pictures of Catto Propeller Factory. You are like I am, we appreciate a true craftsman and their skill. I hope the new prop will serve you better than the previous one.

As for tomorrow's weather, I spent the day at the Channel Islands Air National Guard Base. While there, I some time at FLT OPS and checked the local weather and the forcast from KSMX to KVNY, and for the next 48 hours it does not look good. Precipitation could start near KSMX by noon time tomorrow and near KSZP by 1700 hours local time.

If you and Ed are still planning on driving to KSZP tomorrow if you're unable to fly, let me know and I'll still meet you there. If not, I'll skip KSZP for the day.

Thanks,

Wayne

We are looking at the weather.

We are looking at the weather.

Thank you Chris,

It was a fun day.

I will try to keep things from going through the propeller and will try to keep from going through bad weather.

Hello Wayne,

The propeller served me well, I didn’t take care of the propeller.

I installed the new propeller and she is ready to fly.

It was cold and blustery all day today.

I have not done my maintenance flight and today the fog took it’s time burning so we will probably get a late start.

I will check with Lockheed Martin in the morning and if the weather looks good we will fly to Santa Paula, otherwise I will stick close to SMX and explore the new propeller.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 002 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    002 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
That's a great looking prop ! I would love to see the Twinstarr guys try one. (TIM O. ? )

I look forward to your report, Vance .

Santa Paula is looking good!

Santa Paula is looking good!

Thank you Chris,

I feel this new propeller with it's sensuous curves is sexier than the first one that Craig made for the Predator.

Craig explained the point of the wider chord at the root and mid span but the explanation was lost on me.

Craig feels that it should be more efficient at lower RPMs and will take out about 150 RPM so I should be able to firewall her at speed without worrying about the 2,700 RPM redline. This propeller is also rated for a higher RPM than the first one and is 2 pounds heavier.

I clocked it the certified way.

The Density altitude this morning is -1,219 feet which should make for lively performance.

Ed doesn’t have her camera back yet so she will have to use mine. The buttons are very small so she will have to take off her gloves to use it. I expect fewer in-flight photos

It is currently 12:00 Zulu and Lockheed Martin feels that the rain won’t come before 05:00 Zulu and the clouds along the route will stay above 4,200 for most of the daylight hours.

Current temperature at KSMX is 34 F, 1.1 C, wind is calm.

I don’t expect to have overheating challenges.

I will fly around for a bit solo to check my work, load Ed up and hopefully be to Santa Paula by 17:30 Zulu.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited: