My Engine

There is a in-flight mixture control setup you can purchase for the Bing carburetor from Green Sky Adventures, I made my own system based on it's design and can definitely say being able to tweak the mixture in-flight can be a huge benefit and increase reliability if used properly. You may want to save this for future project however.

Have a look here: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15263

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/

Just as a precautionary, I replaced my Barry mounts with new ones unadulterated with petroleum jelly. This time, I used old-fashioned spit! It worked fine. Been spending a lot of time lately researching and ordering items related to the fuel system. Updates soon.

My Engine

I made up a support bracket from 2"x2"x1/8" 6061-T6 angle to mount the primer (Aircraft Spruce #05-01047) and Mikuni fuel pump, and got that finished and installed today. Also shown in the pic is a wooden mockup of the fuel pump I made to site where the pump needed to be, etc. But I don't trust the accuracy of it enough (which was based on just Internet images and data) to drill any holes in the support, so I'll reluctantly wait for the real thing before I do that--three suppliers I emailed said the pump comes with the engine. I'll suspend it horizontally below the bracket, from vibration isolators, and with the weep hole facing downward.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1
Treaze : Nice work, look great, where are you going to mount your F-pump?

Did you buy a f-pump or have you gotten your motor yet? Mine came with the f-pump that is why I was asking......
looks like you could just about mount it between the 2 motor mounts on the same piece of metal as the Primer....

Last edited:
Thanks, Dirtydog. No, I don't have either the engine or pump yet. I'm doing everything I can first before making the leap. "I'll suspend it horizontally below the bracket, from vibration isolators, and with the weep hole facing downward."

Btw, I just responded to your PM, so I hope I sent it correctly this time--thanks!

Treaze : Got you that time.......:lol:

My Engine

I've got some of the fuel dist system roughed out. There’s a brass-screened filter/check valve laying on the bottom of the tank, which feeds the quick-disconnect/check valve, then the tee off up to the primer (red line), then the blue line feeds the future fuel pump, line filter, and carb. The brass-screened vent is identical to the one in the tank, and the check valve function of it prevents spillage during inverted flight—ha ha. I don’t like the hose clamps. So I’ll look around for something more elegant, or may just leave them off altogether. I'm also still trying to find a brass 1/4"x1/8"x1/4" tee, but no luck so far.

Next project is the throttle and ignition switch.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
Scott - Thanks for the tip. I put in my order for the tee. They said they'd mail it and then ask for a check when I get it--that's amazing!

Yup Bear is good people, and I like to support the people that help support us. :)

treaze : Yep Bear goes out of his way to make people happy. did the same for me.... oh you have a package coming.....

Thanks, Dog!

I think what I'm gonna do for hose clamps is use safety wire. And I think I'm going to order a fuel pump now, even though the engine is supposed to come with one. That way, I can get that thing sited and mounted on my new bracket well beforehand, plus I'll have a spare pump on hand or have one to sell.

So next is the throttle. I got a #05-15905-F from Aircraft Spruce, and I realize now it's probably the wrong type--not set up for a pusher. So, since real men don't ask for directions or return things (ha ha), I'm going to have to figure out a way to modify it. Does anybody know how much throttle cable travel I need from idle to wide open at the 447's Bing 54 carb? Or know where to find that info? Thanks.

Treaze- A 54 carb figures out to about 2.1 inches. The slide has to travel that far to open up fully. Stan

Stan - Thanks for info--slide travel dist is same as cable dist? I thought I had seen roughly that figure somewhere when I wasn't looking for it, but of course now I can't find it again. I should probably set up my throttle lever travel to provide slightly more than that, right? And then use adjustable stops to fine tune the idle and full-power positions? What I need is a Bing Owner's Manual, I think, if they make such a thing.

Dirtydog - Got the pkg--thanks! Will dupe and get it back to you.

Last edited:
Slide travel and cable travel are the same.

When the slide is at idle position it is sitting on a large screw with a tapered point, this is the idle adjustment screw and it physically stops the slide from going down any further. With the slide at idle position you should have just a little slack in your throttle cable to make sure the slide is sitting on the idle adjustment screw.

At full throttle the slide should be in it's full up position.

I highly recommend Teflon lined outer housing for your throttle cable for easier throttle movement.

As the slide has a return spring trying to push the slide to idle position you will need a friction device on your throttle lever otherwise you will have to keep your hand on the lever at all times.

I have a mikuni fuel pump sitting in a box if you want it treaze, same pump I got on my bee! I got my pump on my bee floating on zip ties!

Thanks, Dog!

I think what I'm gonna do for hose clamps is use safety wire. And I think I'm going to order a fuel pump now, even though the engine is supposed to come with one. That way, I can get that thing sited and mounted on my new bracket well beforehand, plus I'll have a spare pump on hand or have one to sell.

So next is the throttle. I got a #05-15905-F from Aircraft Spruce, and I realize now it's probably the wrong type--not set up for a pusher. So, since real men don't ask for directions or return things (ha ha), I'm going to have to figure out a way to modify it. Does anybody know how much throttle cable travel I need from idle to wide open at the 447's Bing 54 carb? Or know where to find that info? Thanks.

Thanks Red, but Aircraft Spruce shipped mine off to me yesterday. I might even get it today. It's weird--sometimes I get stuff from them the next day, sometimes it takes nearly a week.

Just some misc progress today. I finally bit the bullet and shipped my unusable tractor throttle quadrant back to ACSpruce, and ordered a pusher throttle quadrant, adapter kit, and 6' cable from LEAF (H7101, H7140, & H7356, respectively). Also, I received the brass 1/4"x1/8"x1/4" primer tee from BearPerkins (thanks for the warning, Doug) and the Mikuni fuel pump from ACSpruce. And I ordered a Bing owner's manual from Bing Power Systems @ http://bingcarburetor.com/manual.html for $11.
Dawg, I mailed your pkg back to you today, too--thanks again!

Treaze :
Thanks but you didn't have to send that other item too!
Did you make a set?