Contour HD helmet Camera Discussions

Leigh
I went to a flyin this week end and my son pointed the camera at me and Bill Weiger as we did a flyby. I was taking off from a near runway and turned as soon as I got up to fly down the joining taxi way. Bill is flying down the other runway at about 150 feet. The sound is very good with out the wind noise as you can tell. So you may use your camera for a pocket video recorder as well. The scratching sounds are the record slide switch on top.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gyroflight
The new you tube is making all of my videos darker.

Mark I have been doing just that and as you say does pretty good.

I had a friend take some shots of me on the Bensen however as one cannot zoom a lot of it was too far away to be much use, also the fish eye effect seems to be more noticeable.

I have noticed that it does tend to be a bit on the dark side. On the airfield it was a dull day but on the clip it looks like late evening. Having said that mid afternoon here at this time of the year it is a bit gloomy.

I did try the lower res Fergus and it was very evident. I didn't like the quality of the picture much. It was however a very short clip. Will try a longer one.

Contour HD

Contour HD

I used my Contour HD for the first time at the ROC flyin.

Strapped it to my helmet and set it to the SC mode.The pictures were not
that bad - The video taken on a foggy morning came out pretty fair.

The only thing is that i had the camera set a little down on my Helmet and
the video shows that. Also my head movement was to much,but you have to
always check around for other a/c .I since then set the camera pretty level
on the helmet and had more video in line with my eyes but still had to much
head movement.

I don't know how to down load to the Forum but all could see the video if you
go th contour HD web site..Look for ROC Local Flying by gyro JB.

Would like to get some coments on it.

Thanks Guys Jim B

Jim not sure if it will help but posted this earlier.

connect the camera to the computer, ignore the message that asks you which program you wish to use to open. Close that.
Go to my computer select the E:drive ie the camera, double click.
You will then see two files. Select DCIM and double click.
You will then have a media folder. Double click that and inside will be your picture files. I had a choice of using Quicktime or Windows media.
I can then open and watch any file on the camera hard drive or copy it to the C: drive anywhere I want.

I then used Photobucket which is free to download the video to my account there, copy the URL location of that video and paste that onto my post

To see it work. Just double click on the picture on the post.

Yep, it came up eventually. Good video. The head movement is OK.
It gives you some idea of what the pilot is thinking.
Was that on standard definition, and was it 90deg or 135deg.?
Thought I saw a little distortion but not like on Rons video.

I've had the 'picture too low' effect a few times.
I have to remember to push my helmet back a bit before I take off.
It's better to have the horizon in view if possible. Gives better perspective/reference.

The light looked about right for a misty morning.

Would like to see more if you have it.
I rarely see a video I don't learn something from.
Good learning tool.
Thanks.

Contour HD

Contour HD

Try clicking on the video processing box and it will come up,also camera is in the standard definition 90deg mode.

Will try to get some more video loaded.

I have a problem on picking up a lot of wind noise when i turn my head
sometimes.

Jim B

Jim,
thanks for sharing the link, I like the other gyro flying with you. I don't think the head movement was that bad, especially considering that is raw movie files that are not edited. I paused it several times and I could read your instruments well and the other gyro was same as it were a single frame shot. I saw you taking pictures and it sounded like you could hear a click from the camera. I would have liked the rotors to appear to turn faster, but mine does the same thing in HD. I agree with you about the noise. When you turn your head there is more camera dragging in the air and the ribs in the side of the camera amplify the noise. Be careful of the sticky attachment to the helmet. Mine came off the first day. I have the microphone covered with black elect. tape on my Sony Handy Cam and it really made a big difference in wind noise. I am going to try it on my HD camera as soon as I can get it attached to my helmet or some other place. Great landscape around there. Neat airport.
I gave you a thumbs up .

Fergus, any idea on how I can adjust the light settings with the PC?

Leigh, this from the website;

http://vholdr.com/contourhd/features

Extract;

Configurable

ContourHD1080p gives you choices. Use the Easy Edit software to dial in your contrast (high, med or low), exposure (-4 to +4), metering (spot, center, avg), and the gain of the microphone, making the ContourHD1080p the world’s most configurable HD wearable camcorder.

Contour HD

Contour HD

Here is my second video with the contour HD.Moved camera back on helmet
and now have horiz in view.

Flying in local area Ksms, Sumter Sc.

http://www.VholdR.com/52549

Jim B

Very good. Much better perspective with the horizon.
No frame stagger with head movement.
Lovely countryside to fly over.
I'll have to get one of these.
Here comes Christmas.
Thanks.

Yeap, thats clearer than my footage and less of a fish eye effect too.... I almost bought one, just the higher price made my mind up on going with the 135$ Go Pro Hero Wide. Go pro just came out with a new HD version of the hero, same price as the contour, but supposed to be better, I might get one next year once they start selling at discounted pricing on Ebay.

Here is some more recent videos I made with my go pro http://vimeo.com/7391593 http://vimeo.com/7657282

Been away, got back and then was not taking pictures due the cold.

Had not been happy with the results of some filming done on the gyro in December as they had come out very dark so didn't think it worth the effort of trying to get them onto Youtube. Pity as I had some quite good sequences around the airfield.

As Fergus had suggested downloaded the Easy Edit software for the Contour from their website but then found it would not allow me to configure the camera settings. Found out from Tech support that I had an early Contour HD camera and needed to download upgrade software then put that into the camera memory chip.

Have finally got round to doing that, just downloaded the fix file from their website, put that in the camera upgraded then removed the file. Camera was then fully controllable and found it has made a big difference with the test shots I have taken. It would seem a far more versatile camera than I had first thought.

Delighted with the quick response from their tech support who got back with the fix immediately, and then responded to my concerns when doing the upgrade. Had tried calling but had to do it all via email. Although a bit slower has sorted the problem.

Hoping to get a decent mount now to be able to clip it in various places without all the tie wraps and foam I am playing with now. Looking forward to some warmer weather and doing more vids.

upgrade,

upgrade,

Been away, got back and then was not taking pictures due the cold.

Had not been happy with the results of some filming done on the gyro in December as they had come out very dark so didn't think it worth the effort of trying to get them onto Youtube. Pity as I had some quite good sequences around the airfield.

As Fergus had suggested downloaded the Easy Edit software for the Contour from their website but then found it would not allow me to configure the camera settings. Found out from Tech support that I had an early Contour HD camera and needed to download upgrade software then put that into the camera memory chip.

Have finally got round to doing that, just downloaded the fix file from their website, put that in the camera upgraded then removed the file. Camera was then fully controllable and found it has made a big difference with the test shots I have taken. It would seem a far more versatile camera than I had first thought.

Delighted with the quick response from their tech support who got back with the fix immediately, and then responded to my concerns when doing the upgrade. Had tried calling but had to do it all via email. Although a bit slower has sorted the problem.

Hoping to get a decent mount now to be able to clip it in various places without all the tie wraps and foam I am playing with now. Looking forward to some warmer weather and doing more vids.

I did not know there was an upgrade. Is it worth the effort? Do you have some video to post?