Old Benson

getut

A 'lil twisted
Aircraft
Drop Keel Parsons
Total Flight Time
175 gyro / 200 ppg
This evening, Airscooter and I were scouting out a possible new airfield a little closer to our homes.

I had heard people in our EAA club mention that a Bensen was hidden in the back of one of the open hangars at this field and while we were walking around we found it. I took some photos. It looks like this guys last flight was an unhappy one.

bensen1.jpg

bensen2.jpg

bensen3.jpg

bensen4.jpg

bensen5.jpg

Last edited:
Now that thing is looking rough!

Jeez... I even know how to spell it and still typed it wrong. Bensen. Fingers over riding brain. Is that a bad sign?

Does anyone know if that is the 100 HP Mac? The thing has a steel Old Milwaukee beer can covering the carb. So I think it has been there for a while.

That is a very unhappy looking bird, I bet there is more than the pics show.

I will call an old friend of Brad's tomorrow, brad may not even still be with us, he was an older fellow when I knew him and this was back in the early 1980's.

when I saw the tail number and saw the damage I knew it was his old Gyro.

where was it ya'll found it at?

It is at Twin Lakes airport in Mocksville/Advance in the back of one of the open hangars. I don't remember what aircraft was in front of it. We're thinking of moving out there to get a little bigger strip with more safety margin, plus its paved. We just don't have the glide that the fixed wingers there with us have to reach the big fields further out from our field. Although our current strip has an awesome owner who loves having us there, it doesn't change the fact that the strip is a little small and there just aren't any areas reachable for a safe engine out once you reach the end of the field. Twin Lakes is paved and is 2900', but has probably twice that length of landable area if you count the rough cut areas at the ends of the field. Our current field is 2200' with 75-100' tall trees on each end. Its closer to home also.

The only downsides are that it costs more and the hangars with dirt floors are much worse than what we have now. We have hopes of starting a gyro nest there though. We have some nibbles from other people who are interested. If we eventually get a couple more, we'll upgrade to an enclosed hangar.

Last edited:
Looks like a 72hp Mac. I don't see the extra piece (that looks like a bolt head) on the side of the jug between the mounting studs.

Ok twin lakes, yeah several from chapter 8 use to fly out of there,I have not been there in years.

Chapter 8? I just looked it up and it says Chapter 8 is centered in Long Island, NY. What is up with that?

Just last weekend I was thinking about the history of the PRA local Chapters. Wasn't Bensen based near Raleigh, NC when the PRA came about? How was it that our chapter got 13, did local Chapters not start until later in the PRA's life? Why were several members of Chapter 8 all the way down at Twin Lakes?

Other questions pop to mind like who actually started Chapter 13? Why did they like 13 so much hehehe because our EAA Chapter number is 1313.

Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe some old timers or history buffs have the answers to these burning questions.

I think that the number 13 is some how associated with dope smokers or something.

Glad I could help. :)

AHA!!!

That would explain....

Barry <pause>.................."Whuz up duuuude" Kropelin

Chapter 8? I just looked it up and it says Chapter 8 is centered in Long Island, NY. What is up with that?

Just last weekend I was thinking about the history of the PRA local Chapters. Wasn't Bensen based near Raleigh, NC when the PRA came about? How was it that our chapter got 13, did local Chapters not start until later in the PRA's life? Why were several members of Chapter 8 all the way down at Twin Lakes?

Other questions pop to mind like who actually started Chapter 13? Why did they like 13 so much hehehe because our EAA Chapter number is 1313.

Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe some old timers or history buffs have the answers to these burning questions.

Chapter 8 was an early Greensboro chapter,but has been dispanded for several years. I don't even know of a local to greensboro chapter anymore. Chapter 8 use to be very active back in the mid 80's and had probably 50 members or so, had some great monthly fly-ins and cook out. I really miss those days. Chapter 8 had mostly antique planes in it so you would see anything from a Tiger moth it T-6's and even some old twins.

Chapter 8 had member all the way in Va. since it was so active. but a lot of the members were very old. several have since Passed on. I found out today that Brad Thomas, flew his staggerwing to oshkosh and on the way home it cought fire and burned to the ground and he stopped flying shortly after that. he also had built an aerosport scamp biplane. he passed away several years ago. don't know how the Gyro ended up at twin lakes as Brad was from mt. airy.

AS for PRA, I have always wonders why there is not a local PRA N.C. PRA chapter. Bensens Factory was at the old Raleigh-Durham airport and from what I heard was torn down for airport expansion. Mike Driggers aka Maddog on the Forum worked there for awhile,and I even got the tour and saw many of his designs in person.

man I have been around to long..lol

oh talk about history, just yesterday some old members of Chapter 8 located and bought the missing link. it was a one of a kind airobatic low wing home built that a local guy built back in 1955. they plan to restore it.

Chapter 8 was an early Greensboro chapter,but has been dispanded for several years. I don't even know of a local to greensboro chapter anymore. Chapter 8 use to be very active back in the mid 80's and had probably 50 members or so, had some great monthly fly-ins and cook out. I really miss those days. Chapter 8 had mostly antique planes in it so you would see anything from a Tiger moth it T-6's and even some old twins.

You are talking PRA Chapter 8 and not some other organization right? Because I found page that listed PRA Chapter 8 as a being in Long Island, NY. Unless when it shut down here they grabbed the chapter number.

You are talking PRA Chapter 8 and not some other organization right? Because I found page that listed PRA Chapter 8 as a being in Long Island, NY. Unless when it shut down here they grabbed the chapter number.

No I am talking EAA chapter 8 not PRA. read post 6 I think it was,I said EAA chapter 8.

as far as I have found there has not been a local NC pra chapter.