Ethanol and Mr. Funnel.......

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+

It will not filter out water that is chemically bonded to the ethanol that is sometimes added to gasoline ....:confused:

I'm posting this 'cause I didn't know. Maybe I'm the last one to find out about this - and maybe it's debatable - but here it is anyway.

If you go to this link:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/filterfunnelautomater.htm
and read what it says below the last photo on the page, the claim is made that Mr. Funnel will likely not separate any water that has mixed with ethanol.

Hope this info is useful to someone...............

Trez

Mike, just wondering if you have pulled it apart for inspection and if you are getting much lead/carbon build up. I have used 100LL but not exclusively and I am tempted to use it 100% just because of the ethenol in mogas. I would think the lead would be harder to clean than just carbon.

Uhhh, Trez ol buddy, ya ought to run av gas man...

Mike,

I know, I know.........

That's why I DO. My 503 has never tasted ethanol.........:boink:

I was passing this info along for those hold-outs using it, 'cause I hadn't known about this before and figured there may be others who hadn't either.

Trez

The limits of a MR funnel

The limits of a MR funnel

The fine mesh of a MR funnel will limit a lot of crud and junk, and solid water from getting into your fuel supply but it will not limit EVERYTHING. But it is a very good start. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE....For example it will let old fuel through, which is just as damaging as water etc. Fuel has a shelf life of that of a house fly. Fuel today is designed to be stored in a "pressurized" container. Pressures above atmospheric to the tune of 4 psi are used on todays vehicles. If you store your fuel in the standard vented gyro tank, or in a cheap fuel can, the lighter "octane" enhancers will boil off. What this means is your engine will not run as desired. Every gyro seat tank I have seen will not take pressures well so do not plug the cap because the seat tank will look like an overinflated beach toy if the heat gets high enough...

Second, I do not run a 2 stroke but I do have enough experience to understand that you do not want to run a straight synthetic oil product so many of you cling to (pun intended) . Blue max oil, as is a lot of other oils today mix heavily on the synthetic part of the blend. While this may allow a perfect fuel mix to run with a very light ration of oil to fuel, or finely tuned oil injected power plants it does no good for the longevity of the engine. You want a blend of synthetic to mineral or organic product. I ran the CPS California power systems, in house special blend and had no troubles for the time I ran my 503. Most if not all of the newer 2 stroke oils are meant for oil injected systems. The drive has been towards lower emissions which has led to newer (less reliable) 2 stroke oil mixes. Ethanol is not the monster everyone makes it out to be, IF you recognize its there (or could be there) and tune for it.

J

Steve, I borescoped the jugs at 50 hours, and had a surprisingly light 'layer' on only about 40% of the piston crown. The pattern was the same on both pistons. It was interesting to note a 'washed' area near the ports. On the next event, I will remove the exhaust to inspect the ring/groove condition. At that point I will have a more educated opinion of the AV-GAS-vs-MOGAS argument. I may also test a product designed to 'decarbon' 2-smoke top ends...

Trez, you had me worried for a bit there. I had to slap little Dave for this issue. Now if I could just get him off the 100-to-one habit. Anyways, I will see you in 89 days man... NO excuses...

Ethanol is not the monster everyone makes it out to be, IF you recognize its there (or could be there) and tune for it.J

I don't believe that everyone is making ethanol out to be a monster.

But wouldn't the world be better off without it?

I had to slap little Dave for this issue. Now if I could just get him off the 100-to-one habit. Anyways, I will see you in 89 days man... NO excuses...

He uses nothing but 100LL.
I didn't know about the 100-to-one thing. There aren't many things I'd argue with him about - so, I still don't know.......
What's the 89 days thing?

If the chemically bonded water was fine enough to get through the funnel filter,
it should also be fine enough to get through your carb jets.

No?

If the chemically bonded water was fine enough to get through the funnel filter, it should also be fine enough to get through your carb jets.

I spent a lot of hours in heavy jets, much of it crossing the Atlantic, usually up at the colder latitudes, mostly at night and "SHOULD also be fine enough" doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy!
Ethanol sucks.............

Trez