Please Identify Part on this Picture.

GyroJon

Super Gyro
Total Flight Time
4rw01g.jpg

Thanks

It's the pre-rotator drive.

It's used to start the rotor blades spinning prior to takeoff roll.

Jon- That is the prerotator drive. There is a spiral wrapped cable inside with ends that are swagged square. This cable is greased and drives the bendix at the top to engage the rotorblades.

Stan

Jon- That is the prerotator drive. There is a spiral wrapped cable inside with ends that are swagged square. This cable is greased and drives the bendix at the top to engage the rotorblades.

Stan

Hi Stan-Thanks all for the Quick answers. I would guess it has a small gear on it driving a much larger one.

What is the average takeoff distance without a Prerotator drive and how much is that reduced with the Prerotator?

Who sells this system in that picture ? I can't find it on Tommy's website !

What I am particularly interested in is all the different types of lower drive/ gearbox mount assemblies.

Can someone post the pics of them here ?

Let me start with my custom made bracket for my 503 with C box.

It moved the drive up high & allowed the cable routing to be clear of all the other stuff.

Attachments

• IM004933.JPG
    IM004933.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM004932.JPG
    IM004932.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000188.jpg
    IM000188.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
geez, i thaought it was the cable from the engine to the clingon cloaking device, a revised model number 5 actually. or it could be a prerotator cable,who knows.......

Are you making fun of his question ? You spelled thawt rong.

How about a pic of your lower drive unit ?

Last edited:
Who makes the bracket to mount the lower drive like the one in the picture ?

Who makes the flat drive plate ?

Chris
Thats dad's adaptation of a Wunderlich prerotator. Dad had one laying around the shop when he built the first Dominator in 1989. The cable was too short for a drum. He decided to use a plate instead ands it worked great. The cable has is has less of a turn in it and seems to be more efficient this way. I saw David Seace turn a set of 22' Dragon Wings to 300 rpm's on his old 503. Dad uses the upper portion of the orginal and makes the lower unit.

So he sells the hydraulic version & the "90 degree" wheel drive ?

Scary Gary

I think that is more likely a JU-44 or JU-66 ( 1/2 or 3/4 scale)

Tony

Here is another on my 2.5 with Autoflight gearbox.

Attachments

• IM000637.jpg
    IM000637.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000697.jpg
    IM000697.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0