vortex sportcopter on ebay

themonarch

Aircraft
'06 Monarch 582. 150 hrs. tt. Purchased from the builder. Please see my aircraft on Craigslist.org.
Total Flight Time
46 hrs tt. 36 hrs CFI. The additional 10 with accomplished privates. Snuck in an optional solo.
Today I viewed this Vortex model by Sportcopter for sale on Ebay. The seller described his gyro as being equipped with, amongst other features, a "rotor pitch adjustable hub bar". "track adjustable, self alignment, with coning and dampening system". I own and have under tutor flown my own gyro, so I continue to study the sport, yet these descriptions mentioned above are new to me. I fly a 2005 build Butterfly 582. Dragon wings, Powerfin prop, with G-force gear. Would someone here, possibly the builder, please explain to me further about the above mentioned items, and how my gyro might be the same or how it might differ? Thank you for responding, MJD.

I assume this is Tina's machine you are referring to.

The hub bar has built into it a means to adjust tracking without shims. It's very easy to adjust.
It also features a special adjustment that allows one to adjust the pitch in each blade. Not to be confused with tracking, increasing or decreasing the pitch allows you to maintain performance, and RRPM over a broad range of temperatures and altitudes.
The dampening system is like that of the "magic" bushing claimed in RAF's. It's a simple piece of urethane that absorbs shock loads and prevents it from traveling into the blades. The result is a softer feel. I won't go into the frequency explanations unless this thread goes that way. ChuckB doesnt agree with me on some of this :)

The difference between our own fixed bar and the adjustable bar is quite noticable.
The only drawback is weight. It's a bit heavier.

Your gyro is different in that your blades have a smaller chord and have twist in them. I think your hub bar is fixed too. I think your tail surfaces may be smaller. (correct me if I'm wrong)
The G-force type gear is an option we dont offer on our 582. Our 912 however has a similar,but still less stroking gear. We feel it's adequete. I'm impressed with the G-force gear though.

Consider our hub bar the same as your G-force gear. It's nice to have :)

Last edited:
Yes this is my machine on Ebay. I love my rotors and thanks Jon for clearing up the his questions.

Sure thing Tina! Good luck with your sale. Shouldn't last long at that price.

I forgot to mention that the hub bar allows the blades to cone without stressing the root area or bending the hub bar as much. This gives a longer life to the blades and hub.
Some rigid rotor systems crack in these areas.

Tail surface of the butterfly

Tail surface of the butterfly

Master Roda, I will check out the surface area of my gyro's rudder. I will get back to you with the sq. inches so that you can compare. Otherwise, should it make any difference to the reader where the location of the center area of the rudder is positioned in comparission to the center area of the prop blast? Seems to me like the center of the rudder area is best located directly behind the prop. Doesn't have to be like that, I know. Only asking. Thank you. MJD.

It's not fair to compare the two because they are very different.
Our vertical is 2 pieces and one is offset for prop blast. The other (rudder) with a trim tab.
Your tail is a single piece.
Our horizontal is below prop wash, your horizontal is in line.

Don't worry so much about it. You have a good machine and you should just enjoy it.

Unless you want to design one :)

Last edited:
explanation appreciated

explanation appreciated

Dear Master Rhoda, (or is it Jim?)

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me the features of your aircraft. I had no idea that these "tuneabilities" were built into your product. I have always thought that Sport Copters looked well designed, and now I have more to go on the next time I get to view one. As far as me having an interest in designing any thing about gyros, heck I can't even recall how to go about folding a paper airplane! Thanks again man.
Take care,
Joe Daly

Erin go Bragh

Erin go Bragh

Hay John Dailey, nice to meet you. Back in the old country they spelled my last name O'Daleigh, or something like that. Salt of the earth we Irishmen. "May the sun shine on your face and the wind be always at your back". Just not when you are landing. Take care Bud. J

There's no getting away from you Irish folk!

Irish fortitude

Irish fortitude

Dear Marv, thank you for contributing to this at present pointless thread! Takes a considerate individual to do so. You are correct, you will never abolish the Irish, so you might as well dance with us. I say strike up the music. Good luck to Trina, good luck to Sport Copter, and good luck to us all. Sincerely yours, Irish Joe. (oh-oh... my new name?, please no! )