Rotor Brake Pad???

CjAwe

Aircraft
RAF 2000/Cessna 172
In my neverending geniusness, I decided to paint my rusty 'ol rotor brake arm on my RAF. The heat resistant paint I used required it to be heat cured. Well...steel and a high temp friction (brake) pad...it should survive a heat curing, right? Wrong. the pad cracked all to hell.

So, my question, anyone know where I can pick up a friction pad similar to what the factory sells? I tried several auto parts stores and Northern Tool. Nobody seems to have any ideas.

I'm impatient and cheap so i'm looking to find somewhere local or online to get a pad. Help!

Lewis Gulley uses a chunk of leather. He says it works very well.

You might see if a transmission shop has a old clutch plate laying around , then you can use a piece of the friction material off it and glue it on.

brake plate

brake plate

Hi,

Get to the car brakers yard and get yourself a brakeshoe of one of the larger wagons! A..PRESTO

Gary

LAA.BRA.PRA.............:plane:

pad

pad

Hey Brad,

theres one on ebay but its attached to a RAF2000.............:D

gary

LAA.BRA.PRA................:plane:

Thanks all for the suggestions and offers. I went ahead and ordered a 1', by 1" by 3/16" strip of friction material from the web site Pete recommended. It cost $3.60. (plus shipping). I'll update with my success or failure...

Hey Tom what's the status on pre-rotator cables and inspections?

Hi Tony,
I will call you when I get to the phone. I am fairly back up-to-speed and shipping parts daily.

I did not reply to you regarding the certificaton as I am so back logged that I'm not sure when I can get away.

I am hoping most of the aircraft that need certification can wait until Mentone.... but I will try to get away before then.

Hi Tony,
I will call you when I get to the phone. I am fairly back up-to-speed and shipping parts daily.

I did not reply to you regarding the certificaton as I am so back logged that I'm not sure when I can get away.

I am hoping most of the aircraft that need certification can wait until Mentone.... but I will try to get away before then.

I can't do Mentone so if you get my pre-rotator done and sent, then if you can't get here I'll find someone local. Just would rather have Tom do it.
And my apology for side swiping this thread. We now resume normal programing.

You may also wish to check with a local auto specialty shop, I use one locally to replace the pads of antique autos and the can rebond almost anything....