Bensen Days 2009 Teaser Photos.....

Loud

Loud

I was impressed with Ron's powerplant. I offered to be the next test weight, at 325# it would not be too much of a jump in load. He was too polite to reply.
I heard the beast at WFO, and I think most of the objectionable sound is induction noise. An air box would help, but hinder inspection.
As to fuel burn rate, he will have it figured soon, I saw five gal. jugs flying.
He flew nonstop.

As to fuel burn rate, he will have it figured soon, I saw five gal. jugs flying.
He flew nonstop.

That's what I was getting at, I know at the fly-in's Ron fly's Non Stop, so we should get some good numbers soon. so for to me this engine is proving it self better then alot of people thought it would.

I still hope someday we will see one installed in a Mini -500. I think this engine could bring new life to that old bird, and be alot cheaper then a Turbine conversion. I mean think about it 120 h.p. in a Mini 500,that would give a great power to spare ratio, the engine would not even be straining,which in turn means longer engine life.

That's what I was getting at, I know at the fly-in's Ron fly's Non Stop, so we should get some good numbers soon. so for to me this engine is proving it self better then a lot of people thought it would.

I still hope someday we will see one installed in a Mini -500. I think this engine could bring new life to that old bird, and be a lot cheaper then a Turbine conversion. I mean think about it 120 h.p. in a Mini 500,that would give a great power to spare ratio, the engine would not even be straining,which in turn means longer engine life.

When I fly I never have burned over 4 gallons an hour but Ron runs his much harder than I ever have and has also been carrying a boat load of weight. I am as curious as you are with the usage #'s

I would not be surprised if Ron has more hours on his engine than I do already, he has been flying the dog snot out of it.

The noise issue is easy to fix... Put a real muffler on it. If the intake noise is an issue I could always build a custom air box for them.

Animal, Your Mini 500 dreams are going to come true soon, I have already sent JOHNIFLY an engine block for setup purposes for the mini 500 and yesterday he said he is ready to buy a motor. So yes, the new Mini's will have Yamaha's in them.

As Tracy Crook, who flew an OMC V4 on a Bensen, was fond of saying; “Fuel economy of a gyro has no more relevance than lightweight tombstones.”

Animal, Your Mini 500 dreams are going to come true soon, I have already sent JOHNIFLY an engine block for setup purposes for the mini 500 and yesterday he said he is ready to buy a motor. So yes, the new Mini's will have Yamaha's in them.
Racer I dought I will ever have a Mini-500, but I am betting that Engine and with the new parts now being made, it will make alot of old Mini-500 owners feel alot better about their old machines.

Air box

Air box

Racer, You did a fine job on the redrive/clutch/engine/mount assy.

Check out TWM induction for their air box. It seems a backplate fitting the carb layout is all that would required to use an off the shelf unit for about $375.

Thank You, for being so generous with your services.

Hi everyone,

First let me congratulate everyone at Benson days looks like a lot of fun I’m missing out on. I wish I could be there but I’m working hard at the shop with the new Mini 500. Racer has summed it up for all interested and the new engine will be Yammer hammer 120. What Todd and Ron have done is absolutely wonderful to the gyro industries and helicopters will soon follow. I hope to have the new Mini 500 up and flying in about three months. Animal you going to miss out on some real fun.

Thanks,
John H
Millennium Helicopters

I lost one of my Cameras at B-Days.

It might be on the grounds somewhere, but I suspect I left it in the rental car.

If anyone finds a Sony cybershot with a bad battery compartment lid please contact me.

Thanks!

As Tracy Crook, who flew an OMC V4 on a Bensen, was fond of saying; “Fuel economy of a gyro has no more relevance than lightweight tombstones.”

Chuck,
I saw one of those engines in the loft of an Aircraft Mechanic Garage last month.

Fuel burn was under 4 gallons per hour over the entire event. This is total gallons used divided by time on the hobbs meter. I am sure it was sucking down more than 4 with Mike in the back seat, and less when I was messing around solo. The noise is just my straight through exhaust muffler.... a real muffler would make it much less loud

Thats Great Ron, it looks like this engine is exceeding alot of expectations.

How many hours do you have on it so far?