Rick Martins new toy

Hey Rick,
Come on up with Jake. I have a 900 foot cow pasture landing strip with at least 500 foot overrun. These cows up here are like the ones at Wauchula, don't even look up any more!

Bud,

I can't wait 'till the time is right to do it. And I know this machine will do it just fine. Thank you. And please tell those two lovely girls I said hi.

That is a great brake design...good job..!
This is really shaping up to be a VERY sweet machine..!
Steaks and lobster..?
Man I gotta try that technique on some of my suppliers!!

M-M

I understand Rick...
It's just that I have some extra capacity for a little bit of extra weight on my machine and have always wanted just a bit more than the 7 or so Gallons that these seat tanks usually hold...10 gal is about perfect.
With a weight of about 64 lbs for the Fuel, then adding the 15 or so pounds for the seat frame and hardware...it is not too terrible a weight penalty.

M-M

Bill Weiger has that seat on his Bensen , He flew at Menetone this year. I also have that seat on my KB 4. It is so comfortable with a padded seat cover. I run about 9 gallons for hour and half of flight 7gallons and two gallon reserve
Jake,
I have throughly enjoyed this build thread. Many clever new ideals for some old ways of doing things.

Mark,

It's nice to hear a first hand account that the seat is comfortable.

Do you have any leads for a seat cover for this seat? The only place I can fine them is "Ulparts.com" and they want $140.00.

Here are a few more photos from last Saturday.

We mainly removed all the old set-up hardware and installed the reall stuff. And we also checked for correct clearance between the rotorblades and the tail.

The HS will be mounted with about 2* negative incidence and at least as high as the normal Air Command unit. It has about 25% more surface area and it's pretty cool stuff. A little angel provided me with the glass over aluminum honeycomb panels - very light and strong. I just took the photo to get a feeling for proportion.

The black things on the front keel up near the pedals are special covers on the reversing pulleys for the brake cables. All four pedal cables will be routed through the frame for a clean look.

The other two diagonal struts for the engine mount are still not installed because of having to wait on some bolts.

Got my 68 Warp with HPL hub yesterday. Very pretty.

Attachments

• DSC02777 800x600.JPG
    DSC02777 800x600.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02778 800x600.JPG
    DSC02778 800x600.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02779 800x600.JPG
    DSC02779 800x600.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02780 800x600.JPG
    DSC02780 800x600.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02781 800x600.JPG
    DSC02781 800x600.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02782 800x600.JPG
    DSC02782 800x600.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1
Some pics of rotor parking brake. Full stick forward puts brake on and this holds it there.

SWEET HUH?

Jake

Hey Jake, Great work and idea on the brake system.

But I'm slow sometimes, help me understand.

You said, "Full stick forward puts brake on and this holds it there."

Does that mean full stick forward puts the brake on by itself or do you have to flip it over to engage by hand or toe in this case? Looks like a manual thing to me.

Does it have some kind of lock to keep it from flipping over while in flight?

If it doesn't and it did flip over in flight would it restrict the forward stick movement should Rick decide he wanted some?

Last edited:
You said, "Full stick forward puts brake on and this holds it there."

Full stick forward will set the rotor brake in place, then by hand you must flip the stick lock. The stick lock is held with a pin so in flight it can not move or get in the way . Even if it flips in flight it will not lock the stick or get in the way of the controlls.
Thanks for asking Phil

Jake

gyrojake :
Hey Jake that latch bets using a B-cord to have to hold your C-stick FWD. I like the latch also!! Great thinking.....

RICK MARTIN :
Looks good! Can't wait to see you flying.....

Jake, are you building yourself a gyro at the same time?

Mine is on hold till I finish Ricks.

I've got my frame, wheels and motor mounted. Since the design is abit different it will be hard to make parts for both.

The name of my gyro when complete will be " More Nuts Than Bolts " !!!

I was also thinking to call my line of gyros HUM-N-Bird . What cha think?

Jake

You are not building an 8 cylinder 2 stroke are you? :D

Yeah Man, I do have enough arrows to make a six cylinder!! I think I'll stick with the 65hp and have two spares for parts. Once I get back on it I'll post some pics. 8 cylinders would be More Nuts Than Bolts ;)

Jake

You are a brave man for using the arrow! :)
I liked my 65hp arrow, until it tried to kill me! :)
But my hirth, rotax, and arctic cat have all done the same.

Mark,

It's nice to hear a first hand account that the seat is comfortable.

Do you have any leads for a seat cover for this seat? The only place I can fine them is "Ulparts.com" and they want $140.00.

Sorry,
I missed this Rick.
Bill and I both had our seats covers made at a local shop. It was $136 for each of us. I went two tone, Bill went solid , I think. That price is not bad when you consider that the curved sides must also include the cutouts for the seat belts to past through. Make sure you have at least 1in foam in the bottom and 1/2 in the back if you fly for over an hour. I think Mike Gaspard was considering a seat like mine after he flew my gyro. Not to take anything away from Tom, I just like the comfort of my seat. Bill may have said he found it a little too tight. The one area that was an issue for me, was the high lip on the front may lift your legs up higher where touching the pedals could be difficult. I think Gaspard made a comment about that to me.
Hope this helps.
Now it time for you to post some more pictures.:wave:

Thanks Marc.

That's very usable info. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get the prescribed seat cover (provided it's padded sufficiently).

You are right. The front of the seat is long and high. But it shouldn't be a problem because Jake has custom fit every aspect of the ergonomics for me. Plus I'm used to that seating style as I put a similar very comfortable dune buggy bucket seat on my Bee and it also had a long and high front edge.

More photos when I get them.

Thanks again.

I liked my 65hp arrow, until it tried to kill me! :)
But my hirth, rotax, and arctic cat have all done the same.

Those air-cooled jobs are getting a pretty bad rep. Glad to see Rick going with a radiator. Jake, I need some of those cluster plates for my redo. It's all looking great.

Those air-cooled jobs are getting a pretty bad rep. Glad to see Rick going with a radiator. Jake, I need some of those cluster plates for my redo. It's all looking great.

Make some templates and come on down.

In reality the arrow is probably the most reliable 2 cycle engine ever made. I know of many that have thousands of hours of service.Thats why I jumped on these when I saw them.

The biggest problem with the arrow engine are people with tool boxes!!!
Rotax is also a great engine but the cost of a new one is expensive.
I didn't mind spending big bucks on a car that will last me 30 years but not for an oil burning toy engine that may need work after 300 hours.

Jake

Jake,
Do you know what happened to the Arrow Engine Manf.? I would like to know more about this engine. Maybe a new thread, so this one remains on track.

They went out of business....

The only reason Rotax stays in business is because aircraft engines ARE NOT the major source of income, Mater of fact look at how the engines have been dropped as they age, now all you can buy is 503, 582,
as far as 2 strokes go, I heard rumor they may drop the 503, even though they have all the tooling paid for and have more than recouped the costs.