P.R.A. Exposed

I care not! Will do what I can and lead my caravan while the coyotes bark.
But you have to ticken your hide if you choose that path.
The nibblers will always be around, try to be a basketball referee, a pool of primadonas
Lots we can do, just need to get started with those willing.
Heron

I wrote that post about stuck ups and judgemental people, etc.... Due to my digust with a few certain peoples in this group.

As a general rule, most people in this hobby are good solid people. Fun people to be around. But there are always a few bad apples in every group and this group seems to have a slightly higher than average ratio of bad apples to good apples. Right now I have to bite my tongue, but soon I will share with you all, the reason I am so disgusted..... someone did the ultimate lowest thing you could do to another pilot, that is all I will say for now.
I'm sorry, Ron. I've worked with so many groups and there is always a couple of folks that well just make life miserable for everyone. They are not happy people and I feel sorry for them living life with there happiness meter on empty. Some here seem to need hospitalization or at lease medicine. (Not talking about Tina here at all, but there are a couple of others that aren't even worth keeping in the forum, they do so much more harm than good)

There are some people that will go out of their way to cause misery for another.
Not on the forum, but on a personal level.
These are the ones Ron is talking about. Not the ones that type a response on the computer and leave it at that.

I will ask a favor here and I think Ron is the man for it!
Ron:
Can you write (folks we need your help) something like a diary since you joined gyros about the progress (or not) of CFI entitlement. You have been more in touch with the Stabilishment so to speak.
thanks
Heron

Well I'll be dipped in...@#$%

Well I'll be dipped in...@#$%

Heron I finally understood one of your posts!:eek:
Ben S

Hey Ben, finally we are getting closer, or should I say cozzy? :D
I think our Foruns and the PRA have much to do with the growth, even if its slow.
The key will be funds to speed up and recruiting from the actual spectrum, there are FW and Heli instructors that can transition faster if we show them the market.
The TryCounty experience was not in vain, we got problems and I had to leave which was the main deterrent of the experiment.
The Golden still there somewhere (if anyone has seen it, please tell me) and a CFI could have a go at it again.
thanks
Heron

Another correction!!!

Sport Pilot CFI's DO have to take the FOI (fundimentals of instruction) exam!

That should help quiet a few of the concerns I have been hearing about SP-CFIs.

Way to go.

Way to go.

Quote: I have poured my heart into this hobby since I got started in it back in 2001. I have spent countless thousands of hours on the forums, being a active chapter member and officer, spending thousands of dollars to attend the fly-ins, even going as far as running for board for the PRA, and let me tell you guys and gals..... I wish I could have my last 9 years back. No other sport have I encountered such a bunch of stuck up people, such a bunch of judgemental people, and such a bunch of people that think they have the right to impose their will onto others. Granted, not everyone falls into those groupings, but just enough people do that it sours the whole dam thing.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

I've been a pilot for several years now, had my own plane yadda yadda yadda, then I got very interested in gyros, even went to, white castle was it? for two years trying to learn and get into the sport , flew one with an instructor and loved it more than anything in flying I had ever done, but man, like the above quote, what a bunch of stuck up know it alls, etc, etc. Actually, he was nice compared to what me and my friend said about you PRA individuals. Now you have a guy who puts his heart and soul into it,(PRA), and what does he get, some smarty pants giving him "hell" for not having the intestinal fortitude to,"go for it".
Nope, nothings changed here.......good grief everyone, it's just gyroplanes. Not even a pimple on the butt of anything really important in life. Get a grip. Me, I'll probably never get to become a gyro pilot or build or buy one. I've got more important stuff taking up my time and resources, but if and when I do, I hope All In is available to help me and has not been hung upside down and burned yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you ever want this sport and PRA to succeed, you better all get off your high horses and become servants to one another and anyone else on the,"outside", that wants to learn. That's all I got to say about that.

That was the best statement I have read to date. Beats the crap out of everything I have said and thought.

I still belong to the PRA though because a change she is on the way for this organization. Especialy if everyone reads your post here.:typing:

Hummmmmmmm

Hummmmmmmm

Wish I hada nickel, every time I heard the PRA needs to do sumthin..

Few years ago the PRA did sponser a CFI course.. would Ya believe they had to eat it as well. Two people took them up on it them ran like they're ass was on fire...

I'm livin at an airport, over the years cannott count how much MONEY i have spent traveling and instructing and hearing folks GRUMBLE because I couldn't Bless them on the first few hours..

Now to the point.... can you live with what ever happens,, Now think about it Dammitt.. Mess up and someone dies.. Ya think it's easy to be a gyroplane CFI..

Just thought I'd break the mood...Uhhh.. Y Somebody said Exposed.. ???

I don't have any argument..

I don't have any argument..

with anyone anywhere on this or any other subject really, but I will offer an observation.
I think the one single reason that the community isn't more successful is the lack of ability to just go out and buy a factory built machine. Now I know that isn't up to we the buyers, and the FAA rules on experimentals have everthing to do with it, but look at how they are sold in Europe. If you could as a pilolt or interested party walk up to a factory and pick out a nice shiny red one for about 15k dollars and get training on it untill you were ready to solo...sort of a one stop shop...I think you would have a very viable buisness plan. There is a huge amount of people( myself included) who just plain old don't like having to build a machine themselves (Yes I did, but would rather not have had to). A customer says to me one day after me telling him I could do something for him but as it was a pain in the ass and how much I was going to nick him for making me do it, "My precious commodity is not money, its time!" I relize that I too fall into that catagory as well mostly, except for the money part:)
I know this doesn't help much but its just an observation. Thnik about a newbie who gets bitten by the bug and has some money he comes to this website and finds that his best course of action is to probably purchase a used machine! Not too appealing if you are just getting into the sport...
anyway thats how I sees it.
Ben S

@Ben I agree. I'd like to build one or more, but I don't have time for another project.
Many of my FW buddies would feel much better if they could buy a factory built one, or at least the say that now as an excuse.

I was wondering, what makes the difference between a factory built Gyro, which is basically impossible legally in the US(right?), and someone who builds multiple kits and sells them as finished products? Why couldn't a really qualified builder buy a dozen Magni or other high-end Gyros kits and set up a dealership of finished products? Its legal to sell used gyro's, maybe fly it around for an hour, then sell them as used? I am kinda confused about what the law is, or is there some possible loophole like that?

Last edited:
Hello Ben,

In Europe they pay $70,000+ for the factory built gyroplanes.

Hello Brian,

Most gyroplanes in the USA are registered experimental amateur built. There are specific rules to qualify and one of them is that an amateur build it. If someone is building them for a profit they are not an amateur any longer.

Part of the fun of experimental amateur built is that the liability is on the builder. The value of this is dissipated if someone makes a bunch of them.

Some fixed wing builder assist programs are trying to work around the rules but the FAA is cracking down.

I didn’t type fast enough and Scott beat me to it.

Thank you, Vance

Thanks for the explaination. I guess I am just surprised that people don't work around that somehow. Personally I want to build my own, I was just trying to think of a solution to the problem people were talking about earlier in the thread, that factory built gyros aren't avalible here in the USA(not that I thought my idea was on the brink of changing the sport). I guess I didn't realize the FAA follows and keeps track of who is building them, or what exactly made it illegal. once again, thanks for the explaination.

from what I've seen you can buy a gyro kit and its not much differnt than buyin a fixed wing kit, unless your talkin ga planes. companies aren't gonna build it for ya and trailer it to your airport! You can save alot of money building yourself, as long as it doesn't have aircraft stamped on the part you'll save!

It is a catch 22!
Small market for not enough hardware, not enough ships for small market.
Then enters the PRA, The CFI´s Association, the Manufact Assn. and change the pace.
This is our objective if we want to see a better flow of gyronuts.
Hey Steve, stop exposing yourself you freak! :eek:
Heron