SH1 Build Questions.....HELP !

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Yesterday I got back together with my friend ,Andy Peters, at his new hangar & home for his SH1 build.

He hasn't done much since the last time we were together, but he did get some upgrade parts.

1. What are you supposed to do with the alignment pins on the bellhousing of the Subaru 2.5 ? We did something that we did not see in the drawings or plans & I want to see if it was the right thing.

2. There are 3 bolts that hold the "arms" for the prerotator lower unit to the PSRU & engine. What bolt is used to go through the engine? Must the metric threads be drilled out , so a long bolt can be slid through ?

Some pics of these areas would probably be more helpful than the drawing that we have !!!!

I pulled up my old thread also.

I don't have my camera today so no pictures but there is a long bolt that goe through one of the holes and it needs to be drilled out. There are two other holes that need to be tapped. If you take a picture of the area you have questions about I may be able to add comments to help. I have built or helped build 4 SH gyros and have two in the hanger for reference.

Thanks Mike ! We may need you for a great reference source.

We have tapped the 2 holes that held the alignment dowels. We were in doubt about the other hole , Thanks !

Mike, was just trying to get some information for a friend that has a Subaru 2.5 engine on his RAF, he is thinking about taking off the oil cooler, and my question, is it really needed on the 2.5 engine, or possibly this is a dumb question.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne- My 2.5 on my SparrowHawk ran fine without an oil cooler. Stan

That may depend on your radiator.

While flying on a 105 degree day at Buckeye in a Sparrowhawk we landed as things were starting to get warm at mid morning. They have oil coolers. AZ is one hot state in the summer.

3 days earlier I flew with KennyJ on a 105 degree day (at sea level) with no problem. Ken has a large radiator and no oil cooler. We may have had some cooling at flight elevation from the Ocean 10 miles away.

Thanks, Stan and Larry, my friend would like to remove the oil cooler, although he has not flown his machine yet, he is located in western part of N.C., i know Stans S/H and it had run here in middle Tenn. and the new owner reported to me that it was doing well, when he was flying it. The same person that bought Stans machine, has also now purchased a Zeon.

Wayne

Sorry, i can't even SPEAL, my fingers are dumb, i ment Xenon instead of Zeon.

Wayne

It ran fine ?

It ran fine ?

Stan,

You say your engine ran fine ?

Could you elaborate, ?

What was the engine supposed to do ?

What was the engine oil temperature average and max out on the hottest day you flew ?

Do you know why an engine needs an oil cooler ?

Jonathan

18 engine outs

18 engine outs

Jim,

I am not trying to start something but I have a problem with folks that say, ahh, you don't need it , I never had one... and do not have the foggiest notion what it does, why you needed one and how close they may have come to having a problem. Subaru is one tough engine but if you have been following the evolution of the engine you know that they now come stock from the factory with one.

I will put together something worth reading.

Jonathan

Stan, I am sorry that Jonathan has decided to start picking on you too. Have to admit it though.... Feels good knowing I am not alone in the Automans crosshairs, but hate that he has moved on to being a dick to you, as you don't deserve it, I probably do deserve at least a little bit of it . :angel:

Hopefully he will learn how to better communicate one day :argue:, as he isn't really a bad guy deep down inside. :noidea:

Last edited:
Jonathon- You sit there like a vulture on a limb.... Once again...nothing you can say will get a response out of me in this thread.

Stick it.................

Stan

Last edited:
Please educate me.

Please educate me.

Stan, you built and flew a SPH.

I have asked you a few questions because you sounded off like you know.

Are you man enough to answer them or is that too much for you ?

J

Stan, you built and flew a SPH.

I have asked you a few questions because you sounded off like you know.

Are you man enough to answer them or is that too much for you ?

J
Wow!
Buddy, lighten up!!!
"All he said was it ran fine".

That's hardly expert advice offered now is it, It ran fine. He never offered or tried to explain how an engine can benefit from using an oil cooler now did he?

I know Stan, Stan is a friend of mine and we both don't have time for fighting with our fellow man and we expel negatively by ignoring it.

So buddy why try and look for or start a fight? Life can be a party if you let it be.....

Why not just help and explain the benefits for those who don't know.

your friend John

Ron- Hey...dont worry about me....its not like I am over in the corner bawling for my buttermilk! :)

Stan

I guess if someone wants to run walmart oil then a cooler would help and also help to add weight and other problem sources such as hose or clamp failure.
Running a good synthetic oil in todays engines without a cooler is fine!
It wont break down or oxidize with normal use even in hot weather.
After all the engine was designed to be water cooled and the water does cool the oil.:yo:

Just wanted to say i apologize, for asking this question, for a friend of mine, but at the same time i want to thank, Stan, and all the others that have assisted me with my question. we have lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum, and i have had lots of help, when i needed it, i will inform my friend with the 2.5 engine, of your comments, and let him make up his mind as to the direction that he should go.

Thanks

Wayne

Question for the question.

Question for the question.

Look,

Since there are some crybabies here, I will stick to the question asker.

The RAF with the oil cooler issue. Why does he want to remove it ?

What is the oil temp during the winter ? . summer ?

You can install and oil cooler thermostat that will regulate the temperature.

J