PRA / Chapter training aids...

robo_nipsy

Aircraft
Gyro Technic
Hello everyone,
Within the tragic thread discussing Steve Weir’s accident, I posted a picture of a cut-away model of a rotor head which was received quite well….

I built the model with intentions of using it as a demonstration model at our next chapter meeting to discuss the accident.

We have some very bright and experienced people in our #17 Minnesota chapter.
They have brought in several little models to our monthly meetings to help demonstrate thrust vectors, stability issues, the causes of 1 and 2 rev shake…all kinds of things.

I’m sure there are many clubs out there who possess similar talent and gadgets….

I am continuing to work on my little “gizmo” gyro dude that I had displayed at Mentone this year.

This is intended to be more than a cute little model to get attention… I did design it to have a bit of a “Playschool” look to it, but at the same time, it also contains a representation of most all of the critical gyro control components.

I want this to be a functional training aid.
I will be adding various attachments to show engine thrust lines, CG positions, rotor thrust vectors, stability concepts, and some AOA indicators to help demonstrate autorotation and so on…
Anyhow, I would be willing to bet, that almost ALL of the PRA chapters have something to share.
The PRA, my local chapter 17 (The best chapter :p ) and this community have given me a LOT. I want to do what I can to give something back.

Chris Toevs,
I believe you are still acting as the chapter organizer, correct?
Is there anything we can do to create a little network for the chapters to share, and pass around such display models and gadgets so that we can all benefit from such?

Maybe every 2 months or so, each club would pack up their little trinkets and Pass it forward, and ship it to the next club on the list???

I would be happy to help out and build what I can with my resources and when I have the time (Time would be a big factor).

BUT, the last thing I want to do is spend a good chunk of my time and money to build a small model only for it to become a personal display item on somebodies home bookshelf or such......so, an inventory and tracking system would surly need to be in place…Thoughts?

I would happy build another rotor head cut-away or 2 to pass around. If someone else has some ideas for another device that would help relay some flight theory concepts, I would be happy to machine some parts for you...

As far as my little “gizmo” model (It needs a new name…Ideas anyone?) that would be a little more effort than I have time for right now, but once I get it completed, I could surly throw a set of plans together to put out there.

Who else thinks this would work and would be willing to contribute?

Denis

Call to action heard!

Call to action heard!

Excellent suggestions Denis ..... yes I was just thinking that a Chapter co-ordinator email to all chapters is in order here & before years end! let me get past the craziness of doing 2 turkey dinners & cleaning house etc this next week ...I'll be on this!

You do produce nice work Dennis. That cutaway Rotor Head makes it so clear.

Denis, I really loved that cutaway, it was the best way to show everyone exactly what happened. Your work is very much appreciated. I believe training tools like this are great, it would nice to have something like this for training that can be passes between the individual chapters.