Unconventional Gyro Parachute System

Why go through the rotor head with all the complications of redesigning it. You could attach it to modified piller blocks, or accross the hub bar itself. Then set it of with remote control, like a coded shed door opener, and have a rotational link to the risers of the chute.
even if the rotor were to spin into the path of the parachute, the riser (made of stainless cable) would take the rotors out.
No it won't, it would wind the whole cable in. Most crashes still have the hub bar and rotors intact.

Why go through the rotor head with all the complications of redesigning it. You could attach it to modified piller blocks, or accross the hub bar itself. Then set it of with remote control, like a coded shed door opener, and have a rotational link to the risers of the chute.
I did consider this at first, but had a couple of concerns.
First, the whole idea was to attach the gyro's frame to the parachute riser in several locations internally to the frame, not just the rotor hub.. This way, even with frame failure, the chute would attach and arrest the occupants.
Second, even though drag on the rotors is a good thing, it might be too much drag too high and greatly affect the performance. Keeping it at least inline with the mast will reduce the parasitic effect of the assembly.

No it won't, it would wind the whole cable in. Most crashes still have the hub bar and rotors intact.

The parachute will be almost completely inflated by the time the rotor could wind around the riser once. There wouldn't be enough inertia in the rotor system to walk it up the riser. It would simply stop the rotor with possibly a single loop of the hub, but very unlikely. This could ONLY happen if the rotor was looped over the top of the hub and still spinning. I'd say both are unlikely much less both as the same time. From the accident photos I've seen, even when the blades bend up they don't bend past 60º or so.

Tex

Tex

I am right now designing just such a system and hopefully I'll have my model proven inside 6 months. I'm having to overcome size and weight but it's very doable.
I feel that even through all the negatives, if I build it, test it, prove it and demonstrate it's abilities, people will want one.

While I don't know the circumstances behind all of the accidents, I can say it's possible that many could have been averted with such a system.

From the final outcome of all the investigations. I believe that it was found to be control failures. Terry Eilands crash was not envestigated at the scene by anyone of knowledge due to the FAA and Sheriffs office considering it a Crime Scene.
:censored::censored:DUMBA$$E$ ! :der::der:

IF a system could was mounted as the radar units on top of the Apache and Scout helicopters is a definite thought that I have had.

Who Knows...:noidea:
You may very well have something that with enough thought may work.

I stand corrected.. Because the ejection of the chute is on the rotating axis of the rotors, there is no way a rotor in any condition, could grab the bridle unless slack was introduced or the angle of ejection was extreme. By powering the ejection all the way to line stretch at a very high rate of speed, the chances for any of this to happen are very slim unless ejection took place while the mast was horizontal. However, even if this did happen, the angle would only occur AFTER the canopy was inflating and at that point the rotors would have to overcome the weight of the gyro based on inertia alone as there would no longer be autorotation.

Steve - I'd heard that Terry and Doc's accident wasn't very well investigated. At least there were witnesses to give an idea of what happened before the crash occured.
I feel my system could prevent similar accidents from happening in the future.

Last edited:
It's been discussed before, of jumping out of the gyro if its' not a cabin. But only if you have the height.

Why would anyone here bash someone for thinking outside the box. If it doesn't work fine, If it does and the idea save's just one life, whats that worth. I can understand Micheals reaction (payback), but I really don't understand flyboy's reaction. Thank you for your perspective Steve. This group has quit being a positive force to change, which is not healthy for the sport.

Tex,

Take as I said earlier take a look at how the Germans did it in WW2. they could jettison the whole rotorhead, I doubt it would slow deployment by more than a second or two and it might make your system a lot simpler.

from what I understand you want to put the parachute inside the rotor mast. If so this will add quite a bit of weight high on the mast and will require a larger mast. This could easy induce vibrations that may be a problem, on the other hand it may reduce vibrations either way it needs investigation.

I noticed your comment about personal attacks here, I have re-read most posts and don't really see much that can be considered personal. We have certainly seen a lot worse here. My comments certainly are only ever intended to be constructive.

Why would anyone here bash someone for thinking outside the box. If it doesn't work fine, If it does and the idea save's just one life, whats that worth. I can understand Micheals reaction (payback), but I really don't understand flyboy's reaction. Thank you for your perspective Steve. This group has quit being a positive force to change, which is not healthy for the sport.

Hi Russ.. I did bring this on myself and will take the lumps for it..
I'm so used to having a heated debate on a subject but still being friends at the end of the day. I have to remember that I'm in a different crowd and different rules apply. However, I've never been called a piñata before!! I'm still laughing over that one. :lol:

Ranger - I did consider that design but there are two problems with it..
First, I would have to find a way to retard the fall of the rotors and hub. Otherwise someone on the ground could get killed by falling parts.
Secondly, it requires some sort of demolition to blast the hub lose and I'm not likely to be granted those.
I believe that this design will reduce vibrations by adding weight to the hub itself. Inherent to the design will be a heavier-duty hub than anything we've seen so far in gyros. The teeter will be very different as well.. All in all, I think the net sum will be lower vibrations and a heavier hub.
I have appreciated your input in this thread and have construed nothing you've said as a personal attack. I do keep an open mind and will consider anything mentioned.

Bruce.

Your idea of adding electronic flight control assistance might be expensive, however, by simply adding a recorder it would serve the additional function of acting as a 'black box'. This, in turn, would eventually contribute to safer gyrocopters.

Dave

If I set the teeter angle for say 4°, would that be ok or does it have to be adjustable as well? Is 12.5° enough for the rotor or should this be increased? There will of be adjustable stops for the rotor axis but anything other than fixed for the teeter will be an issue.. Not impossible, but more difficult to a magnitude. I've done a bit of research and with the writings of Chuck, I've gotten a fairly good grasp on the design engineering, the only thing I'm still shakey on is angles as they seem to change per design.

Dave - With the ability to record up to 5 hours of flight data at .5 second intervals, it would be simple to pull the flash card and have a look if there was an accident. The expensive components to these types of system are the R&D, but thankfully, the makers of Wii have done the hard yards. The collection interface has already been designed.

Last edited:
If you are using the ball and socket type setup, you will have a large friction surface, which will be hard to lubricate, and any dirt will grind it to become loose. Then what will retain the hub bar?
Also will you use a ram air chute or round.

If you are using the ball and socket type setup, you will have a large friction surface, which will be hard to lubricate, and any dirt will grind it to become loose. Then what will retain the hub bar?
Also will you use a ram air chute or round.

All contact surfaces will be sealed and treated to prevent contamination from dirt. There will be no part with a large contact surface and those surfaces that are socketed won't require a high level of lubrication because of the mostly static nature of those parts.
The whole success of this project will depend on the redesign of the hub/bar system. Because there will only be one riser, the chute will have to be round.

Last edited: