• Dues were 45$ per year

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Dues were 50$ per year

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Dues were 60$ per year

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I must get a paper copy of rotorcraft magazine with my membership

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I would be okay with a online only version of rotorcraft magazine with my membership

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • I would not be a member of the PRA at any price point

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
If you have never joined the PRA, or was a member but let the membership lapse, please take this poll.

Select one of the price points and then select one of the two choices about the magazine Paper Verses Online only.....

Feel free to post here if you want to put a name with your vote. I voted 30$ and online magazine

Last edited:
Good one Steve...

Hey guys, even if your a current PRA member, I see no reason you can't take this poll. It would be good to see what you feel the dues should be and your vote on the magazine. Thanks

Poll question

Poll question

Ron,

you can put a few more questions on the poll..

> I would rejoin the PRA if ownership of the airport were returned to the membership....

> I would rejoin the PRA if they supported the chapters in some way

> I would rejoin the PRA if they supported the CFI's.....

> I would rejoin the PRA if I could see that they are executing their mission statement in a pro active way......

etc etc....

Jonathan

Ron, I fit in your poll as I was member for several years; a long time ago. As this was before the internet the PRA and its magazine were about the only source of Gyro information. The more I learned the more I became concerned with people getting killed and the lack of understanding about how an autogiro flies. Some of that has not changed but I have seen an improvement the last few years. This is why I still look in here once in a while, just to see what’s going on.

Membership in the PRA is currently at $50 which is just too high for a small magazine and, and - well mostly for a magazine. If it was $30 or maybe even $35 people would be more willing to join. PRA has priced itself out of the market.

I prefer the paper magazine but could live with an online version it's just not my favorite. I still know people who do not own a computer and others that do not get on line. An online ONLY magazine may hurt in the long run.
Wilson

Maybe the PRA should check into the costs of doing the magazine in newsprint. Might be a little cheaper. Then they could use some of the savings to start advertising, printing flyers to be passed out, setting up a booth at regional fly-ins, etc.

my 2 cents

my 2 cents

I voted $50 and paper copy. I would be OK with $35 and electronic copy but the paper copy is more collectable :) and there is no better rest room companion. You can't take your electronic copy there unless you print it or you have a puter in the john:humble:

I've been a member a number of times in the past, not currently though.

I voted $35 plus online magazine. If the magazine is online how about having it downloadable?

Kandace

For $50 a year what exactly do you get besides a magazine and what are the benefits of being a member? I would want paper version of the magazine. Liability insurance should be something to look into. USUA http://www.usua.org/Insurance/ has it but they do not list gyroplanes as being covered.

There seems to be alot of votes for the 50-60$ option, For those clicking on those options, are you current members or not?

I voted on the $50 option and yes I'm a member. I voted after you said it was OK for current members to vote.

Just checking. That tells me you are okay with what your getting for what your paying.

My main goal is to see what is stopping all the non members from being members, I think the price is a major factor

I'd like to see more of my dues going to other things besides publishing a magazine. I voted for the online copy also.

For $50 a year what exactly do you get besides a magazine and what are the benefits of being a member?........
I can't find the thread where I provided this info recently but it is here some where!

So, I'm providing (again!) what was in a 2007 PRA magazine but not with the complete explanation as to why I'm shown as author when I'm not! These are the benefits that members should really feel are important but they are intangible and a case of out of sight out of mind.

Attachments

• What is the benefit of belonging to the PRA.jpg
    What is the benefit of belonging to the PRA.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
My membership ran out around March, I tried to renew it on line no luck.
Then I try to call no luck so then I was going to renew it at Bensen days. The PRA did not have a place to sign up Bud introduce me to a guy that would take my money but could not even give me a receipt.

I was there for 2 days and never seen a booth or any thing to do with the PRA.
I want to support this sport but I don't give money away in the hope's someone will remember why they came up with a extra $50.00 in there pocket.I'm sure the guy was a up right guy but stuff happens part of what wrong with the gyro thing is it's fly by night way of doing business .

You have a few good company's to deal with like RFD and then you have some that jerk you around for a month then tell you it you're fault they screwed up.

Ron

I checked off $60 for membership cost plus I want the paper copy of the magazine.

We are all on the internet now of course, but it is a better historical record when we can pass around an actual magazine with you in it Ron , or Stan Foster, or Animal with his Commutor helicopter restoration, Or Chris flying across America , or Vance and his friend Smokey welding a new heart in the predator , with Ed's pictures of course . Even more articles from C. Beaty

How about Todd (Racer) with his alternative power source. That would be a good article. Maybe it has already been written about in the PRA magazine. I do not know. My last magazine is from the 1980's. I think I bought it because of the helicopter article.

I will confess I am not a member of PRA until yesterday. I joined. Cost me $57 US. Pretty cheap considering I often have opinions from the sidelines without putting a nickel in the pot. The work you have done Ron , Stan Foster , John Rountree (all in) has been greatly appreciated , many others as well. The least I could do was buy a membership.

Anyone can be on the internet. But to be in an aviation magazine ..... that is something. My opinion.

Make the magazine so desireable that everybody wants it. Membership included. That is how I first subscribed to PRA. Found a copy on a magazine rack.

I briefly mentioned this elsewhere, but let me bring it up here. What if the regular editions of the magazine were online, but once each year, you got a 120-page (or however big) magazine called Rotorcraft Yearbook, with all that content in one bound softcover, instead of spread out over the whole year? The savings on postage would be immediate and huge compared to bi-monthly magazines, and if you're saving the magazines for a historical reference, this would be a great format.

Let's imagine further that this issue comes out each May, and you joined in March. When renewal comes around, you'll be thinking about how you're going to miss out on a terrific asset in two months if you don't renew.

Such a big magazine could also hold a DVD with enhanced material, and would probably bring 30 or 40 bucks on a newsstand if a non-member wanted it.

Am I making any sense, or am I the only one who thinks this would be a great format?

My membership ran out around March, I tried to renew it on line no luck.

I was going to renew it at Bensen days..

Firestar, the online renewal is now working well.

B-Days is not an official PRA event. The PRA is looking at ways we might be a more active participant.

Thanks!