Gyrobee X-Plane Model

DanielM

Total Flight Time
Hey guys, long time no post. Because of college I get to fly very little, thus causing me to still be in the crow-hop/close pattern stage (I'm very conservative when I'm learning things that could kill me :)). Anyway, to alleviate some of the problems that long periods of not flying causes, I've made a pretty exact model of the Gyrobee in X-Plane. Its still beta but I hope some of you guys can help iron out the wrinkles.

Here it is:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=5856

P.S. Before anyone asks for photos of me flying, I've avoided the 3 C's like the plague. But I'll try to get a few shots when I'm out next time.

Hey Daniel, congrats on flying your bee! I've flown one other gyro on MS flight sim (I think it was Ken Wallis' gyro), anyway, it didn't really fly like a gyro at all. I look forward to trying yours out.

Good news Daniel.
Glad you are back in the air!!

Thanks guys.

@ Adam
MSFS is not great for realistic flight models, just VFR and comms practice. While not perfect, X-Plane is as close to reality as computer simulators get, so long as the correct info is used when making the aircraft.

UPDATE

I accidentally released a experimental version I was messing with. Please download it again.

Last edited:
Daniel none compooter geek here how do I down load this to FSX
from my desktop ? :help:

It's for X-Plane, not FSX - totally different program. There's a free demo available at x-plane.com...

I'll have to try this out tonight :)

:censored: :twitch: :eek: :Cry: :boom: :wacko: :noidea: :(

@brett

Since your the X-Plane rotorcraft guru please let me know what you think of it and what I can improve upon. It would be much appreciated.:)

@greg
The demo allows you to fly for 10min without any restrictions before it cuts you off.

Last edited:
Just finished updating the model with the some help from brett(HUGE Thanks!). It now simulates the twist in the DW's. Also I upgraded it to a 503 just so people can get around faster :). I'll still need all the feedback I can get.

I downloaded the trial version of X-plane 8.64, but the gyrobee won't open. It says that the file doesn't look like an aircraft file. What am I doing wrong?

Wrong version of X-Plane - it's a v9.20+ file, they aren't backwards compatible.

Edit - you can also download a v9 demo from X-Plane.com, in this case you'll need to enable the installer option to download betas.

The constant upgrades to X-plane are a right royal p**n in the @**.
Who is likely to take the trouble to write a good model, when it'll be obselete in a
few months.?
Similarly, if I buy X-plane version x, am I likely to buy the later version just to try out
a particular model, which are often pure cr@p.

I keep reverting back to version 5.66, which had a great model called 'Skydancer'.
The scenery is very basic, but the model is great.

I'd love to try your model out, as I know how useful a good model can be, but I already
bought ver 5, 7, and 8, so I'll have to pass.

Good luck with it anyway. If its good it will help you a lot.

Will X-plane 9 run it ????:noidea:

Yes X-Plane 9.20 and above will run it. To get the demo to upgrade to 9.20 (from 9.00) you have to go into the installer options and enable the beta tester option. This will also work with the retail versions updater.

Yay Daniel, thanks to your program I "soloed" on the gyro. Adam claims I did, but I practiced holding the gyro straight and level and worked on some turns. I would've landed but we ran out of demo time. Fun stuff!

Nice Work

Nice Work

You did a really great job Daniel. Your attention to detail is impressive, I especially like the whistling of the rotor blades as they spin up. Your idea for a combined engine/rotor tach is cool, somebody should make something like that in the real world. One thing I noticed was that when you try to hover or vertically descend, the controls get much more sensitive than a real gyro, it acts like a plane stalling, but of course, our gyros don't act like that. I'm definitely not criticizing! I have no idea how you program something like this, just giving you some feedback on how it could be made more realistic. It is already the best gyro sim I've ever played.

BTW, I happened to have my gyro helmet next to the computer, so I plugged it in to the headphone jack. It is really cool because you hear so much more of the audio detail. The pics are of Angie virtually tearing up the sky... ten demo minutes at a time:).

Attachments

• IMG_2084 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2084 (Large).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2085 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2085 (Large).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thing27 (Large).JPG
    thing27 (Large).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Adam the dual engine rotor tachs are available in the real world. Use the search function on the forum and you will find the threads about it.
I bought one but it is in Fl so haven't seen it yet.

Adam,
Awesome! I never thought to do that.

I'll be releasing a update for it by the end of the weekend. The rotor physics will be better and it will have a much more compact panel. Again thanks for the comments guys and gal. Please keep them coming, they can only help.

BTW I have to give a HUGE thanks to brett, he has helped me a lot with this project.

I've still got a few more things I'd like to add - how about a pilot figure?

Also, would you prefer the vertical stab to be like yours?