Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Here are some pics....

1. Departing 28 (nuke plant)
2.Where to mount the ECU ????
3. Do you think I have enough prop to upper tail boom clearance ?
4.Dog Days of Summer !

Attachments

• IM000828.jpg
    IM000828.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000833.jpg
    IM000833.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000826.jpg
    IM000826.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000783.jpg
    IM000783.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000829.jpg
    IM000829.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000831.jpg
    IM000831.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000832.jpg
    IM000832.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Damn Chris...
That thing looks huge on the back.!!! (Lol)
I must confess though...I'm jealous...it looks great.
I really like those engine mounts.
That Prop DOES look close to the boom...how much will those blades flex?
Can you mount the ECM down by the battery?
Can other stuff be mounted along the base edge of the Engine mount?

M-M

Last edited:
Looking good Chris! Looks like the IvoProp might be a little close from the picture. The prop will flex up to 2.5 inches forward and back and can be up to an inch vertical depending on your engine mounts and tail support flex. I seemed to have plenty of room when I installed my Ivo but it did nick the tail support making me do a few modifications and having Ivo cut 1/2 inch off the prop.
You don't seem to have many options for the ICU or controls. You might consider a plate across the mast where you have the strobe electronics to hold all electric units or consider building a trailer to fly behind:)

Looking great, it won't be long now!

Scooby

Scooby

Hi Chris,

Nice looking machine, grat job, nice engine, good choice!
From another sub owner EA81

regards G.

LAA. BRA. UK

My goodness....that is a monster engine! I like it! I also like to see the shocks mounted down low....easier on the long struts and it looks neat too.

Chris....me likey!

Bring her on down to ROC 2009 this year in October!

Would love to see her fly!

BarryK

Chris, I ran across the same problem with my A/C and the prop clearance issue. You are too close at this time. Consider this option....rather than cut the blade shorter, I made new plates which raised the boom over the prop by 2". They are a bit longer and more 'L' shaped but did the job quite well. There was never an issue after that. They were very stout and there was no comprimise in support of the mast arm or top of tail sections. I was able to keep the full size of the prop and not lose any performance with that modification. Besides, you want as much prop as possible for that whopper.

Looking good!

How did you get the photo from the air?

Wow ! Thanks for the interest you guys !

First off....Tim, That pic was taken from the single place with that new 503 on it. I love what that engine has given me !

Barry....I won't be bringing her down this year, but I would love to see her fly , also !

Mark & Brandon.... when I originally built her with the EA81 & 68" Warp, I installed the rotorblades & tilted the blades all the way to the rear to check for blade to boom clearance. No Good ! I had to have the cheekplates made an inch taller.

So, right now the blades just clear the boom. Any attemt to raise the boom will create another situation. The Ivo is a 70" Magnum & IVO said the 2.5 should have no less than that. I know that it could be trimmed but don't really want to do that.

I want to get as much of the flying weight on her as I can & then do some hang testing. If new cheek plates are in order, then I will redesign to raise the boom. If the plates are fine, then I will have to see what I can do with what I have.

I made the mounts so that there is 1 1/2" of clearance at the bottom of the prop. Even that looks kind of scary. That prop would probably just chop the 2x2 tail boom clean off !

One thing is, the further the prop flexes forward, the more clearance it will gain.

Do you guys really think it will flex rearward ???

As far as mounting the ECU..... Things to remember.... 1.Exhaust sytem(don't have one yet).

2. Harness length is inhibiting. 3. some other things ?

Anyway, I am thinking about going over the top of the engine with the harness.

I'll take some pics of the possibilities & post them.

Thanks again guys & don't go away !

HEY ! I found a great place to mount the ECM . Forgot my camera.....wil post pics later.

I am having some clamp brackets for 3/16" bolts made & having the stock mounting tabs removed & new mount tabs welded on.

I will probably paint the ECM for looks. I am going to look for some really nice loom to bundle all those wires neatly.

Chis good job, buddy!!!

HEY ! I found a great place to mount the ECM . Forgot my camera.....wil post pics later.

I was curious if anyone has found a small box to waterproof the ECU for the external mounts. I look forward to pics of your mounting or would also like to see anyone's weather proof external mount.

Chris............70" Ivo mag...............what box ratio??

The Ivo guys ran my numbers came back with 74" on a 2.4 box

BTW...........your build is lookin good ( you'll cream yourself with the grunt )

ECM mounting

ECM mounting

The ECM will be mounted to the front of the mast between the seats. 4 AN3 bolts will clamp around it, eliminating any holes & allowing me to slide it up or down.

The connectors will face downward to help prevent water intrusion. I hope that this machine will never see rain. I can always put a bag over it , if needed.

I wanted to install it in a weatherproof box, so I picked up a 8x8 PVC junction box. I returned it because it was overkill. I'm sure that an enclosure could be built for it, but I am not going to worry about it.

That bunch of wires will get wrapped with braided wrap. They will do a u-turn back up the side of the mast & jump across the gap , clear of the alternator pulley & belt, under the intake manifold & plug into the intake harness plugs.

There is the oil filter relocation kit. I am not sure where I want to mount the filter housing yet, but the location shown would make it simple for piping. It would also clear any exhaust that I might use. The material that it is held against is only 3/16th aluminum. I worry about the weight of it & vibration.

There is the air intake & filter that I hope to use. It seems very solid but a support bracket would not be a bad idea.

Attachments

• IM000845.jpg
    IM000845.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000846.jpg
    IM000846.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000836.jpg
    IM000836.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000837.jpg
    IM000837.jpg
Last edited:
Details, details

Details, details

Some things I have not figure out yet are....

1. Throttle cable with the proper end(heavy duty).

2. Coolant fitting with cap & overflow.

3. Oil pressure sensor install( I may install a tee & keep the idiot light....or not.

4. Fuel pressure gauge........Do I need one ?

5. The last picture is me holding the part of the harness with the MAFS connector. Does anyone know what those other gizmos are ?

6. I may have to add some braces to prevent the motor from tearing off of it's mounts.

Oh Russ.....I think I have the same ratio as you. Ivo said 70" would be the minimum, so I hope to not have to trim it down. I think I can crank in enough pitch to control that little 4 banger.

Here is some wire wrap......http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Flexbraid-Wire-Cover/759804/10002/-1

Attachments

• IM000847.jpg
    IM000847.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000835.jpg
    IM000835.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000838.jpg
    IM000838.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000839.jpg
    IM000839.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Chris maaate, your prop clearances scary close.

Drop in a longer mast.

She looks great Chris!

She looks great Chris!

There is a lot of very nice work and some careful thought demonstrated there.

Thank you for sharing, Vance

Chris, I think those gizmos are the barometer sensor. I Like where you mounted the computer, it is coming along nice!

Chris- Sure is looking nice! I hope your radiator cap-filler neck was a better match than mine. You may remember I had very inadvertant spout offs of my coolant, received all kinds of ideas what was causing it from people here..but none helped. ..... it took over a year before it just came to me to check the seating depth of the neck versus the cap. I went through a bunch of caps at NAPA and voila....I found one that had another 1/8 reach. END OF PROBLEM!!!!

Stan

Stan, I plan to get that from tech welding....http://www.techwelding.com/

Look under products & then cooling systems. He custom makes them with your measurements. Money first !

Brandon, barometer sensor, HUH. They are in the same loom as the MAFS wires. My MAFS is kindof high so I will probably weed those wires out & mount them lower.

Do you know where the small hose attaches to the manifold ?

BTW...That was a temporary mount job. The final mounting will be much nicer & I plan to paint the box red or black & slap a Harley decal on it. I am pretty happy with that location though.

Another thing.....I was only kidding about the prop clearance. I would never even crank that engine over with that clearance.

I explained this before but I'll say it again......I want to get most of the weight on the machine & do some hang tests. If I have to remake the cheek plates I will figure out how to get some more clearance there.

I know that this has nothing to do with hang tests but she was very balanced on the mains with this bigger engine. It would stay on the nosewheel if you pushed it down.
Now that the redrive guts & prop are on, she wants to rock right back on the tail.

I believe with the heavier engine , I will have to move the rotorhead back. That will give me a whole new geometry for the upper tail boom & rotorblade fit. The cheek plates that are on there now were made 1" taller than the originals. We made them from 3/16" plate. It may be possible to make them even taller.

Russ that mast is made of 3 2"x1"'s. I won't be "dropping in" another mast.

Vance, Thanks! At least you got to do some serious flying with yours before the rebuild. This is the second time I am building this one. The EA81 I put on it didn't have what it takes to push this beast. But that engine has a home on a KB2 frame. Nothing is going to waste!

One more thing.....I noticed that this IVO Magnum did not come with a locknut for the pitch adjuster. I have one on my ultralight IVO. I Image it should have come with one.
It must be HUGE !

I was just doing a sketch for the wiring as it pertains to my machine & locations. Don Parham sent one but it is at the garage. He shows an ammeter being used. I have a voltmeter but do I really need an ammeter?

Do you really need a fuel pressure gauge? Do they read pump pressure or the regulated pressure ?

Should I install a switch to turn on/off the primary pump that gets it's power from the computer?

The secondary fuel pump will have a switch & will be powered from my fusebox.

Don said I can use a tiny tach for an 8 cylinder....that would be a drop in replacement. Then what do I do with the tach lead from the puter ?

I'll need a check engine light......nobody pays attention to them anyway !

I won't need my carb temp guage on this machine anymore....so I need to fill that hole with something.

Attachments

• IM004252.JPG
    IM004252.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM004314.JPG
    IM004314.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM003266.jpg
    IM003266.jpg
  • IM004312.JPG
    IM004312.JPG