3DRV plans

Stoney

Bitten by the Gyro Bug
Does anyone know if the 3DRV are still available. I've tried to contact Monty Hoskins via e-mail, but have seen no response.

Thanks

wooden rotorblades

wooden rotorblades

He also had a set of plans to build wooden rotorblades. I think this would be a great option for those newbees who are starting practice with rotor management and crow hops. That way you dont risk screwing up your pricey aluminum blades. Then when you feel like taking to the pattern, buy the aluminum blades from Ernie or one of the other manufacturers...

Anybody have a set of those? I'd like to have one...

Jan's plans were already sold. Does anyone else have a set that they would like to part with?

Good idea, using the wooden blades to practice taxiing.

Or you could try some flight training and fly a lifetime on a set of blades

Or you could try some flight training and fly a lifetime on a set of blades
Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on having flight training before I build. I still think it's a good idea to practice with expendable blades. Making a set with a short cord and perhaps 6 ft in length would allow one to get used to the spinning blades over your head, while not providing enough lift to allow an unintended takeoff.
I've read about quite a few noobs that left the ground unintentionally and do not wish to be one of them.

:wave:

I have the plans on the way.

Last edited:
I have a brand new set of Barnett rotorblades. They are each 10ft long and you would need a hub bar from Barnett to mount them. the bar would be 40 inches.

I am asking 1000.00 for them.

Jim

Jan's plans were already sold. Does anyone else have a set that they would like to part with?

Good idea, using the wooden blades to practice taxiing.

Stoney,
Bogman,
Miles Manson post here from time to time. He built one I think. He might would part with his. Are you building from scratch or modifying a Bensen?

It's going to be a scratch build. I have a great deal of design work to do prior to starting. I'll need to have a fairing or a pod on the DRV3, due to in flight blood glucose testing requirements of the FAA (I'm a well controlled diabetic, but will strictly meets FAA requirements). I can't see myself doing this on a pure open frame gyro. Of course adding a pod\enclosure will affect the CG and most likely require a wider Hstab as well. Again, when I said design work, I'm not talking eyeball, but proper engineering practices to account for weight distribution and changes in aerodynamics.

Stoney the short blades won't teach you the problems with spinning up longer blades.. It's the real slow spinning long blades that can hit the ground or tail that are the problem with flapping. After that is mastered the next big problem is landing without any crabbing. Got a crab-tip over the gyro. It is not quite that simple because you have to do throttle, rudder,brake and rotor control all at the same time but those are the two areas that get a lot of new people into trouble I think from my limited experience.

Last edited: