Chapter 18's NEW Gyro Project - The Tractor Gyro

Adam H

Aircraft
Dominator
We decided that we had so much fun working on the last club gyro project (widely known as the "Monster Gyro") that we decided to do it again. A few guys in the club started talking about tractor gyros and we had some metal and hardware left over from the last project, so we decided to give it a try. This gyro will be a single seat, very light tractor gyro built using standard Bensen type construction methods. In fact, one of our club members has recently come into possession of a Bensen rolling airframe, so our prototype will be based on that frame.

2 masts, connected by plates at the top, the rear keel will be made longer, but we haven't gotten there yet. I think we must be getting better at this gyro building thing because after the first night of cutting and drilling, we were already able to sit in the seat and make engine noises. The engine for the prototype will be a Rotax 447.

Attachments

• IMG_3548 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3548 (Large).jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3550 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3550 (Large).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1
Adam, you chapter 18 guys worry me..lol

we never know what to expect from you guys. the monster gyro was interesting to see go together,I am sure this will be even more interesting to see.

I am sure it will be very well thought out and will fly great when done.

keep us posted.

Monster gyro

Monster gyro

Adam,

Did you guys ever create any plans for the Monster Gyro?

Interesting. :spy:

Have there been others like this? Excluding Pitcairns and the like. I'm referring to open look of gyro.

:cool:

Sorry I didn't make it last night guys. I got too tied up doing yard work preparing for Mentone.

Anyway it looks interesting.... I wouldn't wanna be the sorry bastard sitting behind the propwash. 400MPH is gonna suck w/o some kinda wind screen.

I wouldn't wanna be the sorry bastard sitting behind the propwash.

I was told at the club meeting you were going to be the test pilot. :rolleyes:

There will be a windscreen attached to the front mast. We put the axle in the original Bensen location just to start out, we will move it to a more appropriate position after the engine, tail, etc are installed. We never made plans for the monster gyro, if I had it to do over again I would do it differently anyway. There are, however, plenty of pictures here on the forum for anyone who wants to copy the design.

Chapter 18 has alway's done cool $hlt .
I miss them .

We miss you too. (Tom paid me to say that) :D

More progress!

More progress!

The build team assembled again last night and got the engine installed and started planning the tail. A 4x8 sheet of 1/8" 6061-T6 is on order for the rotor head cheek plates.

Attachments

• IMG_3777 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3777 (Large).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3776 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3776 (Large).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello all, I like the idea of simple tractor designs,here is one I built a couple of years ago.

This gyro would only fly in ground effect due to lack of streamlining. The thrust from prop was down 100 LBS due to the slipstream hitting all the ugly bits (Including the pilot) on its way down the fuselage.

The engine is a Rotax 532.

Attachments

• Pictures 037.jpg
    Pictures 037.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures 006.jpg
    Pictures 006.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Murray

What ever happened to that tractor? Your comments about the streamlining of the prop blast around the front structure and the pilot are exactly right on. Many years ago I had the pleasure of talking to "MR". Jay Carter Sr. while at Mentone at the nationals and he graciously showed me an album of his early experiments with tractors and this is exactly what he ran into, he had a open frame and set directly behind the engine and the machine would not fly and he kept going up in power and bigger engines and it still would not fly until he decided he was acting like a reverse thruster brake and added a fairing and Zoom away he went with power to burn.

Tony

I still have it but a friend of mine is going to put some streamlining on and make it fly.

Take the tractor prop of this machine and put a pusher prop on of the same type and the measured thrust goes from 250 to 360 LBS.!!

If I didn't have tall trees at the end of my runway I would attempt a circuit,even with 250 LBS of thrust it would climb slowly over a distance.

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I dont think a Rotax 447 is going to get you off the ground without some serious streamlining.

Last edited:
Its always interestimg what you Chapter 18 people get done. This thing of getting together for a Monster Garage night is just off the charts in group accomplishments. I dont know of any Chapter that does such a thing. Proud to be a member even though I am not contributing to your awesome project. Keep up the cutting edge work, and it will be nice to see it fly. Shelbyville? Stan

Cool gyro, Murray. So, it looks like unless we streamline the gyro with some fairings, the drag will be too great and the gyro won't fly. That is something that I don't think any of us thought about - streamlining the airframe isn't usually that big of a deal in the open framed gyro world. This is something we're going to have to think about. Thanks for the input!

Without streamlining the tail surfaces will likely be operating in turbulent airflow as well reducing their effectiveness, especially if they are on a short tail arm and close behind the pilot.

The main landing gear on my gyro was 4130 tube heat treated to make it into a spring.
There have been plenty of gyros fly successfully with a 447 and no reason it wont on a tractor.
You have the advantage of no radiators sticking out like on mine so a simple cowl over the engine and streamlining from behind the seat back to the tail.

The trouble with mine is the 100 mile an hour drag over the airframe before it even leaves the ground.