The last flight of Hanna Reitsch

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
This is a stunning video reconstructing the last flight of Austrian's famed soaring pilotesse Hanna Reitsch in 1978. She died 1 year after this 750 km soaring flight across the Austrian Alps holding several world records.

Even, strictly speaking, this video is not about a gyro flight, the air-to-air footage was shot from a gyro. You can see the gyro (an MTOSport) twice in the film: once around 5:50 and the other time near the end around 8:30.

This footage was used in a documentary which aired this September about the person of Hanna Reitsch.

The video is best watched directly on vimeo following this link: www.vimeo.com. Once there, type in the name "Hanna Reitsch" into the search box near the top right corner. Choose "HD" as viewing option if your bandwidth allows. I tried to post it embedded in this post but then it won't allow you to expand it to full screen, which takes away a lot from its beauty. Be sure to let it download fully before viewing it, because watching it haltingly in bits and pieces takes away from its beauty.

Enjoy, -- Chris.

Last edited:
Worthwhile Veiwing

Worthwhile Veiwing

Fantastic and the music kept me on the edge of my seat !

Beautiful film Chris!!!! thanks for sharing.

I would love to fly the Austrian Alps one day!!!!

Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.
Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see . . .

Thanks Chris for sharing

Last edited:
Great flying and stunning scenery. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nicolas, if you like this video, you should come fly around parts of New Zealand sometime.

Cheers

Barry

Great flying and stunning scenery. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nicolas, if you like this video, you should come fly around parts of New Zealand sometime.

Cheers

Barry

Barry,
New Zealand is my ultimate goal to come and fly Gliders. One day i will!!!!

I hope to visit New Zealand some day too.
But I heard aviation can be kind of tricky there sometimes.
I heard you can be standing on the ground and still feel like you are way up in the heavens :)

Chris: great video. Thanks
Arnie

Nicolas, Arnie...... would be delighted and honoured to help show you guys around New Zealand if you visit.