Soviet Gyrocopters. Great footage.

I'm not one for loving the nazi's or anything but the chopper at 7:47 is pretty sweet. I only thing I admired about them is their aircraft and choppers seemed to be more advanced than our's, at least in the WWII era. Heck even the tanks really, a Panzer Vs. Sherman wasn't much of a challenge for the Nazi's. It was a sure thing in their favor.

Thanks for the link. There's footage I've never saw anywhere before. In particular, that of the 'Flettner' dropping a depth charge.

It's a pity that my already elementary Russian is now so badly corroded that a real improvement would require perhaps a partial brain transplant... Apart from 'samolyot', 'avtogir', 'TSAGI', 'niemietsky' and -a very correctly pronounced 'Juan de la Cierva', I've got very little... Anyway, I am going to try a more conventional treatment, and I hope to get at least partial success... Russian is (and has been) a very important language,

Regards

Xavier

Much of the Autogiro footage in that Russian film was first shown on the Discovery Channel about 10 years ago. The Flettner dropping a depth charge was also shown on the Discovery Channel during the same series.

The Autogiro loop sequence was a little misleading by cutting to a Russian crowd looking upward. The loop shown was that of a Pitcairn PCA-2, probably by pilot Johnny Miller.

The first Autogiro loop was actually performed by a Canadian, Godfrey W. Dean at Willow Grove, PA in 1931. (from Cierva Autogiros by Peter W. Brooks)

I just love that little single-seat co-axial rotor helicopter in Chunk 4. Does anyone have any info on that machine?.

That wasnt the one Chuck, though it was very interesting. Thanks.

Have a look at http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYD10OB1FA
from 2:20 and several bits thereafter.

Presumably if they could make them then, they could be made now.
That would be serious fun.

I've never been turned on by 'goldfish bowl on a stick' designs, but
I like co-axial or intermeshing types.
If Flettner could fly 20 miles hands-off in the 30s, they cant be bad.

If you mean this one then it should be Breguet-Doran (at least announcer says that) which "is generally acknowledged that the first successful helicopter flight was accomplished by the co-axial Breguet-Doran on June 26, 1935".

Attachments

• snapshot2008100910041.jpg
    snapshot2008100910041.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0