The Dragonfly Gyrocopter

Lovely looking machine, and very aptly named, right down to the 'eyes' and color. Nice job.

Matt, I love your workmanship!!! Sweet looking ride.

What an exciting entry into the open machine design. Can't wait to see one up close.

Matt,

Would you mind giving some details on the prerotation capability? Do you control the throttle for the goped engine, or is it a set RPM with a clutch to control rotor spin up? At what point do you disengage the system?

Thanks, GaryMac

a Dragonfly has 6 legs and it goes with the theme! ;)

:D

First gyro I built myself was painted khaki. So did I for Rotax-912S valve covers which unnatural green discorded with airframe&tail natural khaki.
When I flew this gyro to our flyin almost everybody asked me which Rotax is this - with such covers. I kidded that it is Rotax-916, 128 hp military issue.
After the flyin ended I got a call from local Rotax dealer asking where I bought this secret engine - they got a number of requests for such engines.

Alex,
When people see something they haven't seen before, most of them would believe almost anything you told them...It's true whether it flies in the air or drives on the ground, or does both! I tend to be a person that wants proof about something before I spend my money. :suspicious:

Again, thanks for all the praise. I am truly grateful for the warm reception.

On these goped engines that have a built in clutch, when you are ready to go, you apply full throttle and hold it until you are in the air and even for a few moments longer if need be. Mine will not over rev at flight RPM, so it's quite effective. The clutch provides a very nice soft start and doesn't show much sign of wear. The moment you let off on the throttle, the clutch disengages as well as the bendix, and voila'. There is some finessing required for ground handling as the torque applied to the airframe is trying to rotate it to the right.

Last edited:
On these goped engines that have a built in clutch

I can second this, Matt, since I fly a gyro with same setup ;)

Cannot tell about light gyro - never flown single seater - but on a heavy gyro with 30' SportRotor such goped prerotator definitely makes very good job.

This time I'm building a single seater and plan its pre will be goped as well.

One thing I wonder to know is how difficult it will be to keep gyro straight on take-off roll with prerotator on in case of castoring nosewheel on a light gyro. A goped engine on heavy 'Adelle" is 14 hp and it took me a lot time to find a way to keep it straight on take-off.

Bump
Here it is Dave!

Muffler bit the dust

Muffler bit the dust

At 36 hours, my muffler's internal baffle broke free. When this happened, I was in flight near the ground and I couldn't even break ground effect due to loss of power. There was no external cracking. Seems as tho the 30 hour mark is where trouble strikes for quite a few MZ 202 flyers.
Here are the pics of the guts of the muffler.
The repair and reinforcement pics will follow.

Attachments

• 2009_07110001.jpg
    2009_07110001.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2009_07110003.jpg
    2009_07110003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2009_07110004.jpg
    2009_07110004.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2009_07110005.jpg
    2009_07110005.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
The rebuild

The rebuild

Hopefully, I won't have any more issues. I will put a few more hours on it, then get it re-ceramic coated. Thanks to Alan Cheatham for the repairs to the muffler. :yo:

Attachments

• IMG_4097a.JPG
    IMG_4097a.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4098a.JPG
    IMG_4098a.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4111a.JPG
    IMG_4111a.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4112a.JPG
    IMG_4112a.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 1
Mz202

Mz202

Other than the muffler (which I believe broke due to poor quality, not how it was mounted), I really like this engine. It is a fantastic motor for any gyro with an AUW of less than 600 lbs. It has a great sound, great power to weight, and is over all a good quality motor. You can learn a lot about others in use on the Mosquito Helicopter Forums.

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping the thread John, it was pure pleasure to see that machine over again.

I do like that prerotator setup. Was strongly considering it before deciding to go electric.

Interesting to hear your experience with the breaking of the exhaust interior Matt. Something I had considered at all as being a symptom of sudden power loss.

Did you know when it occurred, that that might be the likely cause?
At what phase of flight?

Most of the information about Dragonfly's goped prerotator have been posted by me so search for posts I have made, it will take you to several threads on the subject.

Where is this machine & it's builder ???????