Hangar Home

Underground Hangar House

Underground Hangar House

I now want an underground hangar home. Years ago I saw a model home by John Swayze. He had a great concept of an underground home that was actually just a very large underground room. You entered through what looked like a classic underground home front, but it opened up into a private world where there was a fence and yard. A pool was part of the temp control. The beauty thing was that the house was extremely ornate because it did not have to be weatherproof. I wonder if I could build an underground runway?

OH YES, an underground hangar house; that is the best.

steeldomes.jpg

Lots of interest in steel build homes. I agree space could be put to better use. I live in a coffin at the moment and space is a valuable commodity. I am unsure what I would do with so much space............

the one in the link is pretty lame IMO. then again, i should talk. i keep a cot and sleeping bag in the hangar for those day when i don't have enough time to drive the 3 hours back home.

if i could get my hands on a nice old hangar big enough to house a family and the airplanes i want then i'd definately go for it. a nice old brick hangar would be perfect, but it would be kinda hard to get the wife to agree...

I built mine over the course of a couple years, I bought a 2400 sqft, hangar back in 2001, built a 2 story 1000 sqft apartment.... best investment in aviation I've ever made..... instead of paying $250/mo for a hangar around here....
It is invested in my mortagage..... I'm in an airpark with ~20 lots and 3700 ft long grass strip..... Our runway maintenance & light bill comes out to $100 /yr per person.....

Great way to share the costs....

I like the idea of a hangar home and I like the idea of an underground home but I'm not so sure that I'm ready for my husband to build an underground hangar home. LOL

Must be some mistake

Must be some mistake

I'll try not to take it personally. :D

Joe,

I don't think he was talking about yours. I think your place is beautiful and the envy of almost any pilot out there. If someone thinks your place is lame they have to have a budget the size of Bill Gates and their nose so far up in the air they would be in danger of drowning in a rain storm. Rest assured, Your Place ROCKS!!!!

Depends on the barn, My neighbor in the woods has an amish built barn that would rival any house around! I could live in a barn as long as it had a place for my plane and living quarters!

I live in a barn.....