My Plans for my Single Place

PS......Who else wants to buy a transponder for their single place gyro ? C'mon, don't be shy, let's all put our hands up !

Chris,

I don't know anyone that "wants" a transponder. They are no fun in my book.

The question is, do you need a transponder with what you fly and where.

I put too much into my wings to put them in any unnecessary risks.

I don't have the FAR's handy right now but I would let that be your guide.

I don't know what kind of output your engine has but I do know that a Transponder and encoder pull some amperage. It might be reasonable to say that your electrical system can't hack it.

Get your facts together and call a FSDO.

Steve, I am licensing my city backyard as a heliport. I will be converting the RAF into a vertical takeoff machine.
It's about time someone does it ! I will be selling plans.

I am also developing a transponder with alt encoder. Expected list price --$50 Very compact & operates on 9V battery.

I will be consulting with Dick & Carol Degraw........now what do you think ?

Last edited:
Chris, I do not want to invest in your new company. I feel that the RAF will be more unstable than before because of vertical lift capibility that you have pioneered. You need to seek liability insurance. Also creating a vertical lift RAF shows a desire to be a bad example. I think your 9 V transponder in a problem for the FAA. Everyone will want one and all those ident and squak codes will be congesting the airways.There you go again creating problems and being a bad example!!!

LARRY.......There are no problems,.......only solutions !

Larry,....... do you have anything serious to add to my thread ?

I thought that really was Elvis !!!!! Are you practice-ing your hand clapping ? & Deb ?

yes, on a serious note. Let's work on that 2 place you have and get it ready for spring. Or lets build a single place from your Benson. I have lots of extra parts looking for a home!When the projects are done, I will applaud wildly, I think.

I am also going to add a "sport horn " . You know...an air horn in a can.

I've been thinking about a smoker kit. Are there any down sides to a smoker ?

Maybe some Hegar wheels ? They look nice, but I might have to change my axles.

Heritage field....gyrocopter 26Tango departing runway 28 !!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IM000783.jpg
    IM000783.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000779.jpg
    IM000779.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000786.jpg
    IM000786.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
got a great pair of "long range markers" here Chris

Tony

Yeah, on a clear day, it's hard to get lost !

Well yesterday I finished installing the extended range fuel tanks on the gyro.

Is anyone else here using them ?

Since the right tank drains from the bottom to the top of the left tank......I imagine that as the right tank is consumed , it pulls fuel from the left tank. This is why the right tank must have the air vent open & the left tank's vent closed.

This is why the instructions say always use the left tank for partial filling.

I think I will use them this way........ Starting on the Aux tanks, run for 1 hr then switch to the seat tank. This should leave a safe amount of reserve in the aux tanks.

Then I should easily get another hr from the seat which I can easily monitor the seats' fuel gauge.

Last time I was at the hangar I started the 503 for the first time all winter. She smoked pretty good for a while but started relatively easily.

Yesterday I noticed that it had spewed alot of oil from the ball joint on the exhaust & it got all over the place.

Why does it seem to sump up oil when it sits for a while. You would think that with the engine upside down that that amount of oil would stop them plugs from firing at all.

But she fired up & belched smoke till it was all burned off & squirted out of the joint in the exhaust.

Do you think that without a valve on my oil tank, that it seeps through the pump , down the injection lines, & drips into the manifolds ??

I will clean her up while I do this years condition inspection. I also plan to run/ taxi test the new fuel tank plumbing.

I feel that 2 hrs of flying will be enough for an evening or morning.

If the fuel burn is more like 4 gal/ hr......It could fly for as much as 3 hrs !

What do you guys get with your 503's ????

Chris,

With my AC, I plumbed both tanks into one common line, and pumped that line into the seat tank. The gauges on the tanks sucked, so I just monitored the pump line to know when they were actually empty in flight.

I always flew using the seat tank first. When the level got down to 2 gallons left, I'd pump fuel up.

My fuel use was about 4 gph, when not using the reserve tanks. It went up to about 4.5 gph with both tanks filled.

My machine weighed about 355 pounds empty, and I weighed in at a whopping 155 pounds. My prop pitch was set for climb, as I flew out of a couple of short grass strips occasionally. The airstrip altitude is, I believe, around 740 feet.

Hope this gives you something to baseline against.

Thanks , Mark ! I will try them as is for now but will reconsider the pump.

CLS447 :
Oh I though you had the tanks all finished already....:noidea:
I'm sorry!

More pics

More pics

I have been riding my 125 Zuma to the airport & took some pics for the scooter forum.

My hangar junk.

Iko with Mom Daisy.

Attachments

• IM000164.jpg
    IM000164.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000174.jpg
    IM000174.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000158.jpg
    IM000158.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1