KBFF El Mirage 2009

okikuma

Some photos I took at KBFF El Mirage on Saturday.

The last photo I took sometime after Mike Schallmann was taken by ambulance after his accident.

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Here's some I took.
I'm not great with a camera.
but there's a helo for Animal, a Scorpion I think.

Attachments

• DSC01058.jpg
    DSC01058.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01066.jpg
    DSC01066.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01044.jpg
    DSC01044.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01042.jpg
    DSC01042.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01045.jpg
    DSC01045.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01055.jpg
    DSC01055.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01088.jpg
    DSC01088.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01028.jpg
    DSC01028.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
Here's some I took.
I'm not great with a camera.
but there's a helo for Animal, a Scorpion I think.
yep that is an early scorpion with the RW-133 engine. looks like a nice one.

I like the trailer it is on, looks like a nice set up. did it fly?

Tim it did not fly, but it was for sale and no PH#

Attachments

• DSC01089.jpg
    DSC01089.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01090.jpg
    DSC01090.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01091.jpg
    DSC01091.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
yeah it is clean, but is an early Scorpion too, the Scorpion 133 cab had a 1 piece seat and back cab panel, if you look at this one you can see it has 2 dune buggy type seats and a panel behind them.

It dose have a pretty paint job and has door mounts.

More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
more photos

Attachments

• IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
last batch of my photos

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey Tim,
The Scorpion was a junk yard dog! It caught my attention and I thought of you but after looking there was very little usable other than a doorstop or yard ornament. I had to chuckle as it was U-bolted to the trailer and the trailer and U-bolts have been painted a few times with the Scorpion never moved. I didn’t see anything usable but the fuel tank for my dune buggy. It would look cool hanging from a restaurant ceiling though, but not for $5900 bucks.

$5900, he told me $6500 You must have seen him later in the day.

I did think of animal though. Tim, I did not take any pics of them but there was the coolest, red, one man helo turbine powered there. And two other suburu powered singles one flew. (maybe MT 01 or sometehing like that.) There was also a cream colored 4 place helo that the guy was hotdogging low to the ground, steep banked and next to the other helo's.

The gyro guys played it cool and kept their stuff out in front of the line over the dry lake where there was nothing but dirt.

Different strokes for ....these were the coolest for me. Marion's first flight with Born Free after the electric starter instal. Dennis Fetters Air Command Elite - absolutely clean. Although I did not get his name, this gyrobee was from Phoenix - again absolutely clean and uncluttered. You really have to see these machines to appreciate them.

Did not mean to hijack the thread but when I saw the news about Mike Shallmann I just couldn't post something I was happy about for a while. Probably be up most of the night thinking about the 2009 KBFF.

Attachments

• Marion and Born Free.jpg
    Marion and Born Free.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Fetters Air Command.jpg
    Fetters Air Command.jpg
  • GB from Phoenix.jpg
    GB from Phoenix.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
$5900, he told me $6500 You must have seen him later in the day.
/QUOTE]

John, While he told me $5900 I heard him offer it for $5K to another and he would throw in the trailer! Such a deal--- might save the seller money and the time to chip the paint off the mounts to separate. It is all good, I have a friend who has a bunch of $10K horse sculptures in his front yard and to me this would be cooler...

Brandon, saw you flying your machine a lot. (Judging from your avitar) Unfortunately I did not get around and meet many of the gyro owners/pilots there.

Great photos! thanks for posting!

Hey Tim,
The Scorpion was a junk yard dog! It caught my attention and I thought of you but after looking there was very little usable other than a doorstop or yard ornament. I had to chuckle as it was U-bolted to the trailer and the trailer and U-bolts have been painted a few times with the Scorpion never moved. I didn’t see anything usable but the fuel tank for my dune buggy. It would look cool hanging from a restaurant ceiling though, but not for $5900 bucks.

yeah, no more Scorpions for me, I have wasted enough money on those machines.

If they have the upgraded rotorsystems, (about $6,000 ) and the larger 162 engine ( about another $5,000 unless ya come across someone doing the jet exec conversion and wants to move the engine ) and replace the chain drive with a cog belt drive ( about another $3,000 )

Then you can see how much of a money pit a bargain Scorpion can be, and trust me that old a model is worth about $3,000 as old as that one is it probably had the old blades.

The early old blades had problems with the glue debonding in flight and well you know what happens then.

but this one does look safe ( meaning that it is firmly bolted to a trailer.)

still kind of neat to see one for static display.

Hi There,

Nice little MC-1 helicopter, any more pictures of it? Do you know who it belongs to? Did it fly?

Regards,

Francois
yeah I have seen that MC-1 before, I wish the owner would join the Forum and post about it so we could all learn more.

It is a nice little helicopter.

I loved the KBFF!

I loved the KBFF!

Sorry, no photos so this is probably not the correct place for my rambling about the KBFF. I was not able to find another place that is correct. Events are in the future and there is nothing in general discussion, so here it is.

I saw a lot of friends and spent some very special time with a few.

I got a hug from Marion and basked in the warmth of her love for gyroplanes and the joy of our friendship. As I watched her fly and encounter some challenges I stopped breathing even though I felt confident that her vast experience and skill would pull her through. The challenges of her age seem to slip away when her wheels leave the ground.

Lonnie shone her light on the event in so many ways and expressed her energy and enthusiasm every where she went.

I spent quite a while with Mike on Friday and we reinvigorated our friendship on what turned out to be our last visit. We shared our feelings in a way that was complete and appropriate. There are many things unsaid but no feelings misunderstood. I have many lovely memories and a lot of valuable inspiration.

I was fortunate to spend time with Bob A and his beautiful white Continental powered gyroplane that was built around the same time as the Predator with a similar sphere of influence. I learned a great deal and found much inspiration. I loved the relaxed way they flew and the sound was music to my ears.

I renewed my friendship with and admiration for Bob Lewis and learned more about the Predator and how Mark feels about things.

I was able to spend time touching Dennis’s amazing collection of tubes in an amazing and unique gyroplane. He was kind enough to spend a lot of time explaining his thoughts behind so much innovative thinking. Saturday night he was honored with the Pilot and Machine award that is a vote of the participants of the KBFF.

Paul Plack showed up with his team from Utah and injected his insightful wit into the day. It is always fun to visit with Paul and try to keep up with his very fast eclectic banter.

Dennis Fetter’s Air Command was an inspiration in the attention to detail and Dennis and his brilliant friend, Guido honored me with a great deal of time on Saturday. It is exciting to peak through Dennis’s window as he shared his vision of gyroplanes. As always he was very patient with and responsive to my questions and generous with his time and knowledge.

Guido is one of my engine heroes. His vast experience and knowledge expanded my universe. I felt fortunate that he spent so much time sharing his wisdom. He filled many pages of one of Ed’s notebooks trying to illustrate some of the concepts he was trying to get across about the mission of an engine driving a propeller. He had a remarkable insight into the history and vision of Rotax and shared many of their challenges and successes along the road to today and tomorrow. He understood Lycoming and Continental aircraft engine history and evolution in a way I had not previously encountered.

Wayne popped in and out of many conversations. He was, as always, kind and sensitive and stood clear when asked. I witnessed his judgment and experience in a very challenging situation. I hope Wayne is around when I need help. I am proud to know him and he continues to grow on me.

Teddy was generous in sharing his “modification” to his gyroplane and his friendship and kindness made it easier to deal with his incessant flirting with Ed.

Marie still looks like she is in her fifties and I reveled in her hospitality.

Mark Sanders shared his steak with me when I thought that Brandon had become distracted and was going to let me down. His kind act enhanced the meal.

I was fortunate to spend time with my good friend Brandon who would never actually let me down and enjoyed some of his wonderful cooking. I do not have the words to describe how much I enjoy him.

Scott Hedger added to the fun in so many ways and Ed got a great picture of him flying at sunset. His friend was fun and had a great voice and a nice presence.

Brita and Mark are always a joy and Marks machine was elegant in so many details. 400 pounds for a 912 powered machine. He has created the best POH I have ever seen for an experimental gyroplane. I found his quiet competence a lovely addition to Britta’s bubbly enthusiasm.

Karen seemed to work nonstop as she reveled in the freedom of her new fitness.

I missed the adventure of last year flying to El Mirage but it was made up for by the time I had to interact with my friends and bask in the passion and history of gyroplanes.

I finally met Ben face to face and he is the personification of a gentlemen. His manner and attitude was a pleasure to be around. We started to leave without saying goodbye and after I looped around in the big silver van I felt that it was a fitting way to finish the event. To spend a little time with a new friend that is tough, elegant and loves gyroplanes.

Spending the weekend with Ed is always magic; she took close to 2,500 pictures. Seeing the world through her artist’s eyes always expands my world. She is reviewing them now and from time to time she will bubble over with excitement when she comes across a special moment captured on camera. She wants to review them all and sort them before she posts so people won’t have to look at them all to find the special ones. I think they are all special but she feels that is just because I love her and she discounts my praise. There is something magic about the lake in the darkness and the mist in the morning.

I am desperate to fly and as we floated along in the Van with it’s panoramic windshield view I kept remarking to Ed on how different things would look from the air.

I kept checking my GPS for altitude as we found our way home and I believe I can stay below 5,000 feet msl if we go along State Highway 138 to Gorman, slide through the Tejon pass and across state highway 166 over Maricopa and New Cuyama back to Santa Maria. I think that is the way we will return home next year as long as it is not too windy. I always prefer to make a loop and it avoids the afternoon fog along the coast. Conditions permitting, we will still fly down the coast and spend the night in Santa Paula. Then fly up to William J Fox field in the cool morning air and over to El Mirage. I feel it will be a lovely loop and a great adventure in 2010.

I have to go back to work so many of the event’s adventures will go unreported. If I didn’t mention a valuable interaction I apologize, I am just out of time. I enjoyed every one I met and every interaction.

Thank you all for your kindness, Vance

Last edited:
I was able to spend time touching Dennis’s amazing collection of tubes in an amazing and unique gyroplane. He was kind enough to spend a lot of time explaining his thoughts behind so much innovative thinking. Saturday night he was honored with the Pilot and Machine award that is a vote of the participants of the KBFF. Vance

Hi Vance. What a pleasure to talk to you, and looking forward to many more conversations.

I wanted to get something you said corrected. The Pilot and Machine award was not given to me. It was given to another person named Dennis, that didn't hang around for the awards ceremony. I don't know which machine it was.

Nevertheless, thank you for thinking so.