Saw Rotocraft for first time at LSA EXPO

Old chuck

Been interested in Powered Parachutes and traveled to the Light Sport Aircraft Expo in Sebring, FL this weekend. One of the demos flights featured a rotocraft and I must say I was very interested and amazed at how it performed. I had never seen a rotocraft before and been thinking do I need two types of aircraft? Just started my trek into learning about the craft. Have seen some articles in Powered SportFlying but seeing one up close is something else. Interesting that there are far more rotocraft folks close to me in upstate S.C. then there are PPC folks but it seems that PPC's are more well known and certainly more accepted by the FAA. I have many questions such as : Are there factory made affordable rotocraft? How much to get into one? Is there any problems with the FAA or do they come under FAR 103?
Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and that you guys have my attention.

Welcome Chuck,

I sent you a private message!

BarryK

3 of us flew over from Wauchula on Saturday.
Auto Gyro had 2 flying the show, one for sale at their booth and Ernie had his nearly complete 2 place at the Viking tent.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

Ultracruiser, TimChick,
Thanks for the info. I am starting to get real interested. Ultracruiser, thanks for the invite and may take you up on it. Timchick, thanks for the videos. Have a Powarchute Pegasus PPC and looking at staring the SP process however, that does not mean that I can't be interested in both. It would seem that most of the gyros come under the ultralight regs. Are there any LSA rotorcraft that don't cost an arm and a leg? I just got into a N numbered PPC for a very reasonable price for a nice used aircraft and was wondering if that is possible in the gyro world.

It would seem that most of the gyros come under the ultralight regs. Are there any LSA rotorcraft that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Chuck, what you saw at Sebring was the high end, pricewise. There are single-place kits starting under $20K new, and if you're patient you can find used single-place machines in airworthy condition for less. There is even a used two-place which needs very little work selling well under $20K in my area right now.

Most gyros, including many with unlabeled tails, are not ultralights. All the single-place gyros qualify to be flown by Sport Pilots, as do the lighter two-place machines.