Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
It looked like a nice day to fly.

Santa Maria had winds 310 at 18, 9 miles visibility, sky cover 2,500 scattered and 58 degrees F.

San Luis Obispo was better in every way.

I called Lockheed Martin and VFR was not recommended along the route of flight.

The Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (The people who have a window to look out of) predicted nothing but slightly bigger winds and VFR till sunset.

I walked down my hangar row and could see the sky over San Luis Obispo 22 nautical miles to the North West so I suited up and did a careful preflight inspection. I checked the sky again when I was ready to go and it still looked good.

She fired right up and I quickly worked my way down the list.

Lean for taxi, alternator on, transponder to standby, radio to ATIS, Spot on, GPS on and set destination, listen to ATIS and call ground. I had not flown since last Sunday so I was ready to get back to that magical place.

I called ground for a taxi to runway 30 and he came right back with “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Taxi to runway 30 via taxiway Alpha.”

I taxied slowly to let our Lycoming warm up for the magneto check and waved at the tower as we passed by.

Temperatures and pressures were in the green when we reached run up and the magneto check went well. Transponder to mode C and change to tower frequency. I reset the trip computer and set the GPS for SBP. It was too windy to release the rotor brake and I reported ready for departure, holding short of runway 30 and requested a straight out with a slight right.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, straight out with a slight right approved, runway 30 clear for takeoff.”

I felt excited as I richened the mixture, advanced the throttle, released the rotor brake and pressed the prerotator button. The winds had picked up and I saw a couple of bounces to 30kts IAS when were barely rolling. The blades came up quickly and we soon rocked back on the mains. The balancing seemed second nature and required movement of the cyclic back and forward to manage the gusts. I had exactly the right amount of rudder in as she stepped off the runway and she climbed out nicely. As soon as the mains broke ground I had that rush of freedom. Off to my left were low clouds rolling in around 30 kts. As we reached 800 feet MSL I could see some ugly clouds directly ahead.

I pressed the push to talk; “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf requests a right cross wind departure.” It was approved as requested.

I backed her down to 2,150 rpm and we continued to climb. We were at 2,200 feet MSL before we hit the edge of the air space. I looked down to see a solid layer of clouds rolling our way and what appeared to be rain at the river.

I checked ATIS and it had not changed. “Experimental 142 Mike Golf 10 miles to the north east with information Victor inbound to land, request special VFR” Special VFR was approved and I was to make right traffic for runway 30 and report mid field. We were pushed down to 600 feet a couple of times to remain clear of clouds.

Before I could report mid field we were cleared to land, wind 320 degrees at 20kts gusting to 32kts.

I plopped her down from about a foot when the gust stopped and I felt like my freedom had been snatched away. I taxied to parking and monitored ground.

As I filled out my log book I realized the entire flight was three tenths, AKA 18 minutes. I did not get out my camera until we were at the edge of the air space so the pictures were over around six minutes. I checked ATIS after I reached the hangar, the field had gone IFR with 500 foot ceilings and they were using the DME back course for runway 12. I would have landed with a 30kt gusting tail wind.

It was hard to let go of the freedom after all that foreplay. I could have made it to San Luis Obispo but would have probably had to spend the night there.

For a change I was pleased with my Aviation Decision Making.

I was glad I decided to depart right cross wind because I could have climbed over the inbound clouds but I would have had fewer options on the return. I was pleased with my decision to turn around and my decision to ask for special VFR.

For the sharp eyed SMX is ahead and slightly to the left in pictures 7&8.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
You sure need a good dependable engine to be flying around that populated area Vance. Nice photos.

Good point Harry!

Good point Harry!

That is exactly why I usually fly straight out with a slight left or right. It takes me over the fields of the Santa Maria Valley rather than the town of Santa Maria with a population slightly exceeding 100,000 and the most populous city in Santa Barbara County.

As I climbed out I could see the clouds moving across the valley and decided to skirt them to the North East. Once I was up high enough I could see a relatively unbroken blanket of overcast as far as I could see in the direction the wind was coming from.

It would be more like me to simply go North East to get around the overcast but there were some clouds peeking over the ridgeline that gave me pause.

Even though SMX was still VFR there was no good way to manage the clouds on the way back to the airport so I asked for special VFR.

I felt the pictures showed how fast a nice day to fly can turn into a not so nice day to fly.

The clouds were moving around 25kts.

This weather was not anticipated by any of the sources I checked (Meteorological Terminal Aviation Routine Weather Report, Weathermeister, The National Weather Service and the Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts).

Basically the wind picked up, shifted direction a little and blew the marine layer inland.

I usually report on my poor aviation decision making so I felt this was a nice change.

Thank you, Vance

It was hard to let go of the freedom after all that foreplay
Ha ha ha, mate, you have a way with words. :)
And if i had to go through that much forplay, i wouldnt get past ,"She fired right up". :(

All i gota do is fill er up n f***off. ;)

Difficult for me to take her home!

Difficult for me to take her home!

That is part of what makes good aviation decision making so hard for me David; I find it challenging to desist when I am effectively romancing the joy and the freedom that I find in aviation.

I have already done and said all the right things for the satisfactory culmination of the romantic endeavor.

It is much easier to just keep going knowing that continued flight into instrument flight conditions is a common cause of fatal accidents.

I find not being able to see the ground or have the reference of a horizon disorienting and it is against the rules here for visual flight rules flight.

In class D air space I am supposed to stay 1,000 feet above, 500 feet below and 2,000 laterally from clouds so you can see and avoid people flying on instruments in the clouds. With special VFR you need only remain clear of clouds and the tower will use their radar to look out for the people in the clouds.

Because it is near an Aerodrome there tends to be a lot of traffic.

Making the decision to turn around and manage the details is contrary to my nature.

I was romancing my aviation mistress when I had to say no and stop because I didn’t want to do something that could result in the end of our relationship.

This good aviation decision making requires a maturity that I often lack.

Because I often write of my poor aviation decision making I felt this was a nice change to brag a little about making good aviation decisions.

I realize as a story it seems anticlimactic because I did not succumb to the perils or even come close to the edge.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
Vance,

You seem to have a good grasp for many things that indicate you are a good airman. I can tell you are comfortable at a busy, towered airport. This intimidates many folks. You use terms in your descriptions that show a deep understanding of the big picture.

The biggest impression I get is that you fly your gyro in a way that will keep you out of the statistics for accidents. You takeoff, climb, fly to your destination, and land. You don't seem interested in "cowboying" or pushing the limits.

BC

Thank you for the kind words Brian.

Thank you for the kind words Brian.

If I gave the impression that I don’t sport around in The Predator that is a false impression and I apologize for the misrepresentation. Even dodging the clouds on the way back exceeded the maneuverability of most aircraft.

The destination is an excuse for me to get up in the air and seldom the point of the flight.

I love the feeling of freedom that flying a gyroplane affords and I find it seductive and intoxicating.

I feel like if I can see something I can fly to it.

I love to fly toward at a 4,000 foot hill and feel the flow of the wind over the hills lift me up like the hand of god.

I love to bank enough to look up though the rotor at the ground.

I usually make a power off near vertical descent over the shoreline of Pismo Beach to get rid of the 1,200 feet of altitude I have over Arroyo Grande.

I chase the fire breaks along the ridgelines as though I was on a motorcycle.

I love to “jump off” the last peak before Lake Lopez, pull the power back and listen to the swish of the rotors as I shed 1,500 feet of altitude over the lake.

I love to fly through the Avilla Pass at 700 feet above the ground knowing that the turbulence will rock me.

I love to use the full range of the air speed indicator (120kts) and the vertical speed indicator (+or- 2,000 feet per minute).

Part of why I have flown in six air shows is because it gives me an excuse to sport around and a legal way to do it at low altitude. A FSDO representative approved all of the attitudes in the pictures. I have yet to break my hard deck or get blown over the line.

Often when the winds come up I will practice takeoffs and landings sometimes even on the most cross wind runway. It has become a joke at SMX; “You can tell when the winds are bad because Vance is up practicing landings in that thing.”

I fly often on windy days in the local hills and frequently get caught in severe turbulence. I have seen both up and down drafts on the far side of 2,000 feet per minute. I do stay 25 miles from any thunderhead and always check the weather before I fly.

About the only limit I don’t press is night flying. I am just not comfortable if I can’t see the ground and the ocean and open fields combined with the fog cause me challenges. I have less than 20 hours of night flying.

I am also cautious about wake turbulence and have refused more than one clearance behind a regional Jet and am rigid about the rules for wake turbulence for the 757 that has started flying into Santa Maria.

Now that I am thinking about careful I also try to land with an hour of fuel on board because I have had to divert for weather many times and a half hour is just not enough.

In my defense I have built up to the limits I am pressing slowly and progressively.

I have a low fear threshold and I don’t like the taste of fear.

I have pulled off some landings in gusting winds that I could not have managed with 2,000 landings of experience. I learn something every time I fly.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
HaHa! Vance, you are unbelievable.

Let me get this straight...
...I PRAISE YOU for your knowledge level, confidence level, and seemingly prudent flying...

...And just because of your contempt for me, you say "OH NO I DO NOT FLY SAFELY, just look at these pictures documenting my unsafe cowboy-ing and low-level aerobatics I have done!" LOL

It is not about you Brian.

It is not about you Brian.

HaHa! Vance, you are unbelievable.

Let me get this straight...
...I PRAISE YOU for your knowledge level, confidence level, and seemingly prudent flying...

...And just because of your contempt for me, you say "OH NO I DO NOT FLY SAFELY, just look at these pictures documenting my unsafe cowboy-ing and low-level aerobatics I have done!" LOL

I will try to explain it again Brian.

I tried to correct you misimpression of how I fly. Specifically “You takeoff, climb, fly to your destination, and land. You don't seem interested in "cowboying" or pushing the limits.”

Perhaps I don’t understand what you meant when you write about “cowboying”. I was a cowboy as a youth for a while and it seemed like hard work. Because I have a poor work ethic I am not longer a cowboy. I liked most of the people I worked with.

You are not the first poster on the forum that imagines because I have a destination I must fly directly to it or because I use check lists and talk to the tower that I do not appreciate exploring the possibilities.

I revel in the freedom afforded by gyroplane flight.

It is in my nature to explore the limits. I have lived my life managing risk and I feel that flying a gyroplane is dangerous so I work to mitigate the risk.

The representatives of the FAA and several aerobatic pilots agree that what I do at air shows in not particularly dangerous and appreciate the unique qualities of a well designed gyroplane. They usually give me higher limits the second day of a two day air show.

It is fun to connect with the spectators at the show and share some of the joy I find in the freedom of the air.

Some people come to the airshow with misconception about what a gyroplane can do safely and are amazed that I flew any distance to the air show. I often hear the question; “How does that thing fly?” I often answer it with; “well enough to get me here.”

It would be a misrepresentation if I gave the impression that I felt the way to enjoy a gyroplane is to fly it cross country like I would a fixed wing. Climbing to at least 7,500 feet MSL picking a heading and sticking to it and began descending from ten miles out is not the way I fly a gyroplane.

A gyroplane won’t stall or spin like a fixed wing and I can land with very little roll so I can fly lower and slower with less risk. I can turn her around in 75 feet so in my opinion flying in the hills is less dangerous in a gyroplane than in a fixed wing. I don’t fly a gyroplane like a fixed wing.

Because The Predator is low, slow and an open tandem I can smell the smells and feel the changes in the air. I can enjoy the ever changing beauty that surrounds me.

Please don’t feel compelled to respond Brian.

Thank you, Vance

A Special Kinda Breed

A Special Kinda Breed

On Saturday I was not able to go flying as usually do. I had a funeral to attend. My brothers oldest son passed away at the very young age of only 37. My nephew admired the fact that Vance flew an Autogiro and all the freedom that came with it. He lived in Reseda, California which is quite a distance from us and had mentioned that maybe the next time he was up our way he would love to go flying.

My nephew was in an accident at 17 years old and from that time he was a paraplegic. But that's not who he was. He was an inspirational young man. He didn't let some silly thing like being in a wheelchair stop him. He water skied, snow boarded and played and coached Basketball. Mike was an incredible business man he was a Financial adviser and played the stock market successfully. He also designed special wheel chairs, bicycles and other gadgets to help others understand there was still life out there. He was a physical therapist and a motivational speaker...yes I'm a very proud Auntie! If anyone could understand the idea of freedom of all that is out there to explore in our world not to mention the consequences that come with all of it Mike did!

I cannot even say in all of my life that I have done even half of what my nephew did, he was amazing!

I got a message as I usually do saying "the Predator has taken off" just one of the many thoughtful things my husband does to make me feel better about him while he is out flying without me to let me know he is safe.

The one thing that has attracted me to Vance is that he is interesting. He has extensive knowledge in many things through his experiences in life and all the adventures he has been on. Those all come with risks...hell I take risks just crossing the street Vance however is on a much higher level of his fascination for exploring outside the box.

That is not to say he doesn't take all the precautions that one should while the are on that once in a lifetime adventure. His studying the NTSB reports I think is a good thing. He organized knee boards also insure our safety so there are no misunderstandings with the tower or other pilots. He feels he learns from others so their sacrifice wasn't for nothing.

Some may feel he over does his radio calls. I feel comfort in it and I think our towers in our area appreciate it as well. The one thing I can say about Vance is that he is consistent. I guess you'd say anyone who really knows who he is gets that about Vance. That is also not to say we don't have fun or just fly to our destination. Our destination isn't the point it's the adventure getting there.

Well Saturday though I was not flying with him was one of those days he had to make a difficult choice. The weather as I was waiting along with the rest of the crowd was changing rapidly I noticed. Not long after I got his spot check in that he had taken off the clouds moving and forming fast had me very concerned.

We waited and waited...nothing. Finally I got a spot saying "the Predator has Landed" shortly there after I got the call from Vance about how he had the weather changing too dramatically and he felt it wise to turn back.

Yes there was disappointment yet...my Husband was safe. Making those choices are difficult especially not wanting to let me down and the circumstances of what we were trying to do. When you are up in the air in an Autogiro decision making is rather important. Visuals are everything.

I'm always proud of Vance safety has always been number one with him that's why I feel comfortable flying with him I don't just TRUST ANYONE. There is risk in everything we do everyday.

I especially love the days when we are just out in the breeze cruising along zigzagging sweeping the hills where I've grown up and still it's new fresh and freakin' awesome. I only wish my nephew had got the chance to experience flying with Vance as there is nothing like it in the world.

Good Aviation decision making I suppose means many things to many different people. I guess it's something one must decide for oneself. I just hope that people understand their limitations and adjust their flying accordingly. Not everyone is cut out to fly an Autogiro...it takes a Special kind of Breed!

I am not one of those that is cut out to fly but I damn well love being in the backseat experiencing my husbands ability to manage all that he does and does well...he's the Man and I am proud that he is all mine!

I'm so ready for our next flight together as I will be having my nephew in my thoughts while I am up there...living one dream he hadn't yet done! I'm sure he will be present with me!!

Thanks for letting me share it's been a rough few weeks and I just love my extended family here on the forum your support is SO appreciated....THANK YOU!

Love & Hugs to All!
Cheers! Ed

He reminds me how I need to remember to Live, Laugh & love Life while I'm here on this Plane...this is Mike his Motto "Fearless"

Attachments

• Fearless.jpg
    Fearless.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Edna so sorry for the loss of your nephew who seems to have been one of life's positive people, facing life's adversities with courage humor and enterprise, as indeed does does Vance.

These are the sort of people who inspire those around them, and we are the richer for their presence amongst us.

Thank you for the kind words Ed.

Thank you for the kind words Ed.

You understood but I suspect some did not.

Mike is an inspiration to me because not only did he learn how to use the tools to manage his handicap he helped others to achieve more freedom with his inventions. He is gone but his inspiration lives on. His participation in sports was amazing to me.

I remember people like him for inspiration when I get frustrated with my own handicaps or I start to use the word can’t.

I try to help my brain injured brethren but I have not achieved Mike’s level of service.

I was going to leave the purpose of the flight out Ed but you are correct to point out the mission can lead to poor aviation decision making.

It was important to me to fly over and it was too late to make it by car.

The more pressing a mission is the more careful I am about not pushing things because I find it is easy to pretend that conditions are better than they are when I want to be somewhere at a certain time.

Most of my poor aviations are driven by a desire to get somewhere at a particular time.

Thank you, Vance

My condolences to you and his family, Ed. Even over the distance I can feel the positive inspirational energy Mike exuded.

-- Chris.

Tanner Style!

Tanner Style!

Thanks Guys...
You know inspiration comes from the most unusual places or people. Mike was wonderful. I hope that my post wasn't a downer because Mike wouldn't have wanted that. Matter of fact he wanted everyone to PARTY at his service stand around joke and be happy, swapping "Mike Stories" that's what we did.

I don't usually rate Funerals as a good time but for Mike He went out as he would like to Call it "Tanner Style!"

Tanner Style is his way of being Fearless and having the Zest for life that most of us don't really appreciate. Mike Tanner Created within that himself!

His presence was felt and it made made me feel good to know I was there to give him the send off he wanted!

Even now I think to myself what a Slacker I am in my own life. Mike certainly is someone to take an a page from his book and study and move forward!

I'd like to think he is free from the bonds that trapped such a vibrant person an now he really can do ANYTHING!

Love and Hugs to Ya All!
Cheers! Ed

Last edited:
Ed- Sorry for your loss of your nephew. He looks like he turned adversity in his life, and gave back more than he received. Some people just do more with less
.....just as ol Vance demonstrates daily.

Stan

Stan,
I do believe contribution is everything and everyone has their own value! It that...you are awesome and offer so much to so many.

I am grateful for all that you do! For all the hard work you do and service you give to us here. Your extensive knowledge not to mention the fact your not afraid to ask questions. You do things with kind, tactfulness when things seem to be out of others reach you help others to understand better.

When I take stock at the things I am grateful for daily in life I think of you every time. You are kind, and unselfish in your observations and your guidance! Thanks for being in my world and sharing that special part of yourself! I love you man!
Cheers! Ed