Something that works for me.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
When I am training out of Brigham City at ROTOR I may fly into Salt Lake City (SLC); a class Bravo airport.

As I was making my radio call sheet I looked SLC up in the Chart Supplement for the South West US and there were some things I didn’t understand so I called them and after some shuffling around I was connected to Kevin in the control tower.

I told him that I wanted to fly a gyroplane VFR into SLC and Kevin was generous with his time and gave me a lot of tips about flying into SLC.

I found out that the reason they have two ATIS frequencies is because of coverage and they both have the same robot giving the same information. It is listed as D ATIS because it is a robot (digital).

Their busy times are 8:30 to 11:00 AM and 5:30 to 9:30 PM and local flights are discouraged then. He felt even during the busy times the expected delay would not be more than five minutes. These are not the same times listed in the chart supplement.

I have always found it helpful to call airports that I have not flown into before to find out all I can about the flight.

I will call approach on my cell phone before leaving Brigham City to give them a heads up about gyroplanes.

I must receive a clearance from ATC before I can enter the class Bravo airspace.

I will have an airport diagram on my lap when taxiing around SLC. The Garmin 696 will also give me my position on the airport but I am not comfortable writing the taxi instructions on the screen so I like my laminated diagram.

The two nearest class B airports (LAX & SFO) discourage general aviation flights so I have not yet landed at a Class Bravo airport as pilot in command.

I also called Ogden-Hinckley (OGD); a class Delta airport.

Last edited: