Im safe

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
IMSAFE is the Aeronautical Information Manual's recommended mnemonic for aircraft pilots to use to assess their fitness to fly.

• Illness - Is the pilot suffering from any illness or symptom of an illness which might affect them in flight?

• Medication - Is the pilot currently taking any drugs (prescription or over-the-counter)?

• Stress - Is the pilot overly worried about other factors in his life? The psychological pressures of everyday living can be a powerful distraction and consequently affect a pilot's performance.

• Alcohol - Although legal limits vary by jurisdiction (0.04 BAC, any consumption in the past 8 hours or current impairment in the USA[2]), the pilot should consider their alcohol consumption within the last 8 to 24 hours.

• Fatigue - Has the pilot had sufficient sleep and adequate nutrition?

• Emotion - Has the pilot fully recovered from any extremely upsetting events such as the loss of a family member?

I am not a mnemonic enthusiast because I can never remember what the letters stand for. I have it written on a laminated card as part of my pre-flight.

I feel self-assessment is an important part of aviation safety.

I feel many underrate the importance of emotional stability.

It is mentioned because emotional challenges are so often a part of the accident chain.

I have found it is easy to get distracted when performing complex tasks when carrying an emotional burden and it affects my judgement.

Excellent post Vance !
Thank you.

That is a good heads up Vance!!!

the human mind can handle 4 tasks before it shifts to automatic

1 girls
2 food
3 pee
4 where am I going?

over loaded again!

the human mind can handle 4 tasks before it shifts to automatic

1 girls
2 food