flight training lesson plan

captgyro

Aircraft
MTO sport
For those interested in obtaining a sport-pilot gyro license, either from scratch or as an add-on I am posting our lesson plan below. We offer training in a MTO sport, also offer sales and service. Located in Louisiana, just north of Baton Rouge. We are fully insured. Our ground school is conducted in our new, airconditioned, classroom. For more information see our website at autogyrooflouisiana.com or write me at [email protected] or call 225-503-5168

LESSON PLAN
This is based on a student with no previous flight experience.
The lesson plan will be modified to fit an individual’s prior experience and needs.
NOTE: The student normally must show proficiency on each lesson before advancing to the next lesson.

Lesson 1 – will consist of about two hours of ground school and a 30 minute flight where the instructor will explain and demonstrate the overall operation of a Gyro. This will include an explanation of all instruments and controls. Then the student will watch while the instructor conducts the pre-flight inspection. For the first flight the student will sit in the rear seat. After reaching an altitude of 500’ they will be directed to lightly hold the control stick while the instructor demonstrates how to initiate and recover from level turns, as well as ascending and descending turns while maintaining a predetermined air speed. Then the student will take control of the stick and conduct level turns and ascents and descents while maintaining airspeed. Note: The instructor will retain control of the rudders and throttle for this lesson.
From this point forward expect to spend about 30 minutes before and after each flight with the instructor to discuss what will be taught during the flight and to be debriefed after the flight.
Lesson 2- The student will conduct the pre-flight inspection under the direction of the Instructor. The instructor will go over the checklist with the student to prepare him for flying from the front seat. Emphasis will be on the pre-rotation sequence. For this flight the student will be responsible for taxiing and pre-rotation, the instructor will perform the take-off and landing. The instructor will demonstrate ground reference maneuvers while maintain altitude and airspeed, then the student will practice these maneuvers utilizing the stick and throttle
Lesson 3-The student will conduct the pre-flight inspection under the supervision of the flight instructor. It is expected that the student can accomplish this task with minimum input from the instructor. The student will taxi into position and pre-rotate with the instructor performing the take- off and landing. The instructor will demonstrate the use of the rudders and then have the student conduct different maneuvers utilizing all three of the aircraft controls.
Lesson 4 – From this point forward it is expected that the pre-flight is done by the student without assistance. Student will taxi to position and conduct the pre-rotation, Instructor will perform the take-off and landing. Instructor will demonstrate slow flight and then the student will perform it. The instructor will demonstrate zero airspeed descents and recovery. The student will then perform the same.
Lesson 5 - Student will taxi to position and conduct the pre-rotation, Instructor will perform the take-off and landing. The instructor will demonstrate flying the pattern and making approaches. The student will then perform the same maneuvers. Special emphasis will be on maintaining a predetermined airspeed and yaw control.
Lesson 6 - Student will perform the take-off, fly in the pattern and shoot approaches.
Lesson 7- Student will perform the take-off and landing. Note: At this point all landing will be powered landings
Lesson 8- Instructor will demonstrate and student will perform power off landings.
Lesson 9-This lesson will be ground school only, Will discuss: Radio communications; Wake turbulence avoidance, Wind shear Avoidance and FAR/AIMS.
Lesson 10- Instructor will demonstrate 0 airspeed maneuvers, student will perform same. Instructor will demonstrate and student will perform power off emergency landings from a variety of approaches both in and outside the pattern.
Lesson 11- Student will now be responsible for all radio communication. The student is responsible for taking off, going to the training area and conducting various ground reference maneuvers. Student will be responsible for returning to the airport, entering the pattern and landing while giving proper radio communications.
Lesson 12- Ground school, this will be the student’s final review and upon successful completion of a written and oral exam will be ready for his first solo. This solo will consist of takeoffs and landings while staying in the pattern. Note: prior to this solo the student must have passed the FAA written exam and have his student license in hand.
Lesson 13- Student will fly solo to the training area, conduct ground reference maneuvers and return to the airport.
Lesson 14- This lesson will be ground school only, expect to spend at least 3-4 hours. Student will be shown how to do Cross-country planning including; reading a chart, using an airport directory, getting a FSS brief to include weather, TFR’s and Notams as well as requesting flight following. Student will also be taught how to use a GPS system and transponder.
Lesson 15- Student will perform all preflight preparations for a cross country. We will then proceed to a class E airport (about 15 miles away) enter the pattern and land. We will then prepare for a 30 mile flight to a private grass runway where we will land before returning to our airport. Student will be responsible for all flight planning, navigation, transponder and radio communications.
NOTE: LESSONS 16 AND 17 ARE OPTIONAL. SPORT PILOTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO OPERATE AT AN AIRPORT WITH A CONTROL TOWER UNLESS TRAINED AND ENDORSED FOR SAME.
Lesson 16- Ground School, Student will be taught how to enter and land at a class D airport and will be responsible for all flight planning and radio communications. We will then fly to this airport, land, taxi to a predetermined location and then return.
Lesson 17- Student will prepare and fly to a Class C airport (about 13 miles) Student will be responsible for all flight planning, all communications, and use of the transponder. After landing and taxiing to a pre-designated area, student will be responsible for contacting ground, tower and approach for the return to the home airport.
Lesson 18- Student will again do a cross-country with the Instructor riding along. Student must be able to do all necessary flight planning and successfully land at two different airports and return without any assistance from the instructor.
Lesson 19- Student will conduct their first solo cross country after having their flight plan approved by the instructor.
Lesson 21- Preparation for the Practical Test Standards exam needed for your license. This will include both flight and a practice oral exam.
NOTE: A MINIMUM OF 15 HOURS OF DUAL INSTRUCTION AND 5 HOURS OF SOLO TIME REQUIRED BEFORE TAKING THE PRACTICAL EXAM.

Nice plan Steve!

It is nice to have an outline to stay on track.

You are an inspiration to me.

Good one Stephen!!!

Thank you for sharing it! Lesson plans are hard to find online.

I just reread your lesson plan Stephen. I think is is a good one.

I know I may piss off the other CFI by offering one addition to #7. However we ran a flight school for over 10 years and other rotorcraft CFI's like Micheal have this procedure before the 1st landing and It really helps evaluate if the student is ready to make his first landing especially with a cross wind.

That is to have them not land on the 1st attempt but do a low level pass just a few feet above the runway and see if they hold center line in the current wind conditions.
If they cannot hold center line then more instruction is needed doing low level passes with cyclic and or rudder control until they can.

Last edited:
John that is an excellent suggestion, however, if you look at lesson 6 it is covered. That is the purpose of doing approaches. Until they can keep it on the centerline, and have the yaw under control, they will not land. I shoot approaches about 5' off the runway. Thanks for the input, I always welcome it from anyone.

John that is an excellent suggestion, however, if you look at lesson 6 it is covered. That is the purpose of doing approaches. Until they can keep it on the centerline, and have the yaw under control, they will not land. I shoot approaches about 5' off the runway. Thanks for the input, I always welcome it from anyone.

Oh I see said the blind man!!! Good one!!!

Hi Steve,
I think this is an excellent outline. Just speaking from my own experience, I think an early lesson on practical rotor management is very important and valuable. In my case with Des Butts, we flew to an airport with a very long runway, and another lesson we practiced largely on unused runways at my present home airport in Deland. The lessons demonstrated and then allowed me to practice on ground stick and throttle changes to understand the interrelationship of rotor speed and aircraft speed as the stick is brought forward and back etc, and then transitioning to balancing on the mains for the length of the runway etc.
This exercise was extremely valuable to me, and facilitated better management of both takeoffs and landings. And is I believe a good exercise to continue to practice during initial training and early solo flying.
I also do not see any lessons relating to emergency landings on takeoff and in flight, and short / soft field take-offs etc.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks

For the input, I do teach emergency landings on takeoff but do not have it on the outline. Also, neglected to put the soft - short field takeoffs on it. Need to add it. However, I do not do wheel balancing when using a two place machine. My students get that practice during take offs. However, If I were to teach someone who owned a single place machine, and I was talking them through it with a radio, then I would have them do wheel balancing. Always appreciate the input. Thanks again, Stephen