Choices in Radio/transponder screens

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Looking @ the Funkworks choices of OLED ( yellow/black) vs the LCD (white/grey) screens .. ...
Anyone have good - or bad experiences with one vs the other ... any comments -preferences & why????

(we have one -ve so far for the OLED ... but that is what we like the best!!!)

Matt's ELA is equipped with the LCD version of the f.u.n.k.e. radio and transponder, I installed and wired these myself. I asked Matt about visibility and here is his comment:

"They are highly visible. The only issue is they can't or don't Dim at night. It's either backlight on or off. Way too bright at night."

The LCD version has a contrast adjustment and backlight on or off but no backlight dimmer. In reviewing the install manual for the LED version it does have a dimmer adjustment.

Both units have given great service, Matt is always getting comments from other aircraft or airports about how loud and clear his transmissions are, even at 30 miles distance and using the supplied antenna. Although the radio shop that did the final cert had never seen one before it was impressed with the transponders measured output too.

Attachments

• IMG_5414a.JPG
    IMG_5414a.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0172a.JPG
    IMG_0172a.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 2
I have had better luck seeing the LCD display in direct sunlight.

In my experience readability very much depends on the installation.

Chris,
I have the 800/833 combination (yellow) and they are very reliable, easy to read even for my old eyes. The brightness is adjustable from 1-10 so night flying is not an issue for them. Very powerful transmission on the radio and the transponder has a built in encoder for mode c. Doesn't require a separate 'blind encoder' like others... Altitude adjustment is manually adjustable too (100' ± correction). My only complaint is that the radio only has a 2 channel flip/flip so you must manually change frequencies if you desire a 3rd channel while flying. No 'one button' scrolling advance through saved channels. (They must be selected through a turn knob). Modes a/c & s are available.

Last edited: