It's Finally Here -- What Dreams are Made Of

Too bad you will not be able to fly it in the United States...

Maybe someday.

It's pretty awesome, assuming it flies decently and is reliable. $300k is a lot but then so is the $100k price of many normal gyros that apparently a bunch of people here can afford. Also, for perspective, a Cessna 172 is $270k, and that's an ancient design that sells in very high quantities for an aircraft.

The view doew seem overly restricted to me though, and it looks narrow.

No way to register

No way to register

Why can't it be flown in the US?

CURRENTLY the only way to get an airworthiness certificate that is usable for a gyro in the US from the FAA is Experimental Amature Built (EAB). To qualify for EAB the aircraft must be 51% or more built by the owner.

This aircraft is built by and in a factory. It can't qualify for EAB.

The only possible exception could be Experimental Exhibition. This comes with a whole host of problems with operations and limitations.

Without airworthiness, all you would be buying is a $300000 yard decoration or vehicle you can drive on the road, but never fly.

Maybe someday the FAA will get off of it's arse and allow light sport gyro planes, but as of late, not anytime soon. I am cautiously optomistic that with the new european models getting a lot of exposure both privately and through law enforcement (thank you Irish Pilot and the NIJ) that maybe it will change. However that is likely YEARS away.

If I am wrong on any of these points, I am always up for learning and correction.

two place tandem

two place tandem

The view doew seem overly restricted to me though, and it looks narrow.

It is narrow because it is tandem or front back configuration. Similar to the calidus.

The cost is very high but you are getting a fly drive vehicle that can go very fast on the ground and then take off flying after a very short conversion.

The problem still remains in the US, no matter what it costs, you still are going to struggle to get airworthiness.

Time will tell.

What happened to the regularly mentioned US Freedom ?

How many people would feel comfortable leaving their $300K vehicle parked at a hotel, a mall, a restaurant, or anyplace else where it's not visible to its owner or in a protected indoor parking facility?

I'd be pretty concerned about doing that... which would make the driving capability of the PAL-V of fairly limited practical use for me.

The catalogue sales literature mentions ..... "ideal for day trips from The Hamptons to Martha’s Vineyard".

:) (Tongue in cheek) :) .....

Wouldn't it be better to have ...
--A Corvette at The Hampton's
--A Porsche at Martha's Vinyard
--A Helicycle to fly back and forth
--Plus $100,000 left over for gas

I think I would go for an MTO or M16, a $40,000 car, and pocket the rest for expenses when I am traveling around enjoying the other two.

CURRENTLY the only way to get an airworthiness certificate that is usable for a gyro in the US from the FAA is Experimental Amature Built (EAB). To qualify for EAB the aircraft must be 51% or more built by the owner.

This aircraft is built by and in a factory. It can't qualify for EAB.

The only possible exception could be Experimental Exhibition. This comes with a whole host of problems with operations and limitations.

Without airworthiness, all you would be buying is a $300000 yard decoration or vehicle you can drive on the road, but never fly.

Maybe someday the FAA will get off of it's arse and allow light sport gyro planes, but as of late, not anytime soon. I am cautiously optomistic that with the new european models getting a lot of exposure both privately and through law enforcement (thank you Irish Pilot and the NIJ) that maybe it will change. However that is likely YEARS away.

If I am wrong on any of these points, I am always up for learning and correction.

Actually experimental exhibition is not that hard or tedious but it is different. Once you have it the FAA really doesn't care that much what you do just where you will be based for the coming year. They make it sound like you have to notify them every time you take the aircraft out of the local area and technically you should but it's not like you have to await their approval.

I know two pilots with former foreign jet military trainers and they pretty much go anywhere they want. The biggest limitation on their fun is the cost of fuel.

I'd still like to see what they plan to do with the rotors while your driving it down the road. All the video I have seen did not have the Rotor included (at least that I could discern) Their trick with the folding prop is way cool, but I haven't seen or heard anything about what they do with the rotors when they want to go drive.

The video says "within minutes, the rotor is unfolded" so I suspect both rotors rotate 90 degrees to the same side, facing forward. So in other words I'm quite certain the driving segments do have the rotors attached; it doesn't look like any part is ever detached.

What happened to the regularly mentioned US Freedom ?

The same thing that happened to many a freedom in your country... it has to be actively protected... or politicians tend to take it away in small sections.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom" true words from one of the founders of the USA.... and true words proven throughout history.

Designed to cruise at low altitudes (below 4,000'),
Why the contradiction??