Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

Hi all,

I thought I'd drop everyone I could think of a line to inform you that the 1st annual Scott Essex (SX Days) Fly-In will be Saturday and Sunday July 10th and 11th at his private airstrip in Central Georgia.

First: Here is the link to Airnav with all of the appropriate airfield info for those who will fly-in: http://www.airnav.com/airport/GA68

Second: Driving Directions From I 75 for those of you driving.
From I-75, your about 30-35 miles away.

1. Travel I 75 North or South (depending on where you are comming from :D ) to Exit #205 / highway 16 to Griffin. This exit is north of Macon and Forsyth, but south of Atlanta and the Tanger Outlet Mall.

2. Take Highway 16 to Griffin. Once in Griffin ignor the first highway 19 south because this is business 19 south. Go all the way through town passing a Home Depot on the right and exit on to highway 19 / 41 South.

3. Within 2 exits, exit right on to highway 362. Remain on 362 to Hollonville. You will pass Aircraft Spruce on your left, and a Huey UH-1 on your right.

4. When you pass the Huey, you are getting close. You will also pass Barnstormers on the right. As you get in to Hollonville, there is kinda sharp curve to the right. Start slowing down.

5. Turn left on to Concord Rd. This road is directly in front of an old convenience store.

6. Once on Concord rd, about 3 miles look for a pond on the right and Scotts place is the first driveway to the right after the pond. He has a mailbox with yellow with purple flames on it. You can't miss it.

7. Follow the drive across the runway to Scotts Hanger. Please note: His hanger is on the far side of the runway, so please cross as the end of the runway and watch for gyro traffic.

Scott tells me there also may be some people there with RV-6s as well as local residences. It would be nice to get some people with two place gyros there, for rides and such. I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday and will probably Camp out. Scott has installed a new toilet in the hanger as well as water fountain.

Scott has a very nice 22x30 aircondition work area, and a big damn hanger. Don't worry about any afternoon showers, if any, plenty of cover. I don't know about yall, but I'm bringing my daughter and plenty of smores.

Scott and I have talked about maybe doing a bon fire. If we could get Jamie and Maxie to bring a guitar and do a couple of singalongs, we'll be set! :D

As far food and drink, we are on our own, so bring plenty. Bring your gyros, family, and lots of smiles, cause we gonna have some fun.

John Stevens
PRA Chapter 13
N34KB

Screw-Out

Last edited:
I will always be happy to take donations to the SX fix up the hangar fund. :)

I guess we just have to play it by ear and see how many people want to camp etc. I need to get a head count so I can plan on getting some idea , for food, ice, drinks, paper plates, chairs, that sort of thing. Keep in mind it will be loosely organised, just come hang out. have fun. :D

Screw-In

Been thinking about organizing some events for SX Days. Thinking about flying events like maybe a spot landing, or bomb drop. Maybe even a touch & go competition. Prizes for the winners.

Don't want any dangerous events but something that would be fun and entertaining.

What do yall think? What other events could be held other than a pie eating competition? Other non-competive events?

Input please.

Screw-Out

Cow Tipping? or Cow chip throwing, helping Scott move heavy objects up the stairs, painting, Just kidding!

We need to make a buy Scott a Rotax fund. And I here Chuck Irby is going to donate his time for the rest of the summer to come up and mow the runway incase we make this a every week event

Events

Events

Screw-In

As far as events for the fly-in go, this will be a loosely organized Fly-In.

I'm gonna donate some money for hambergers, hotdogs and such. Serve that up late saturday for supper. We'll probably do a bon fire Saturday night and listen to outragous flying stories and drink heavily. :D

Do it all again Sunday. So far, I count about 9-10 people with gyros planning to be there with guests, so, if your in, send me an email or a PM and let me know so we can plan accordingly.

I need to know: Who you are, Where your comming from, What, if anything you'll be flying, and how many (if any) people you'll be bringing.

As far as flying goes, it'll be a free style. We may do a spot landing thing, but nothing serious or dangerous. Maybe a prise or two. Got to have the toilet paper award for anyone who earns it.

As far as money goes, donations for reimbersment for food and such is appreciated, but there will be no money requirements to attend.

We are just getting together to have some flying and some fun. I'm gonna meet Chuck Irby! I'm gonna meet Chuck Irby!

We would like to see some newbees show up just have fun. You don't have to bring a gyro to come.

I did talk to Scott today and he says some folks with RV-6s will be there and some other fix wingers.

Chuck told me his son may come with his trike.

So far this is sounding like it's gonna be a fun weekend. I look forward to your emails.

Screw-Out

Yeah, I might just want to stay there, especially if it's not raining. It's gotten to where it rains all the time here.

I sent Maxie an email about Scott's Fly-in and told him that I would meet him in Forsyth and lead him to Scotts.
He emailed me back today and said he said he was trying to come and also that Dan Leslie wanted to come. If they both come we will have at least 2 gyro's with dual seats.

Scott, are you going to put up a sign in Concord on the road to you place? You should put one up at each end of your road.

Looks like I will be off that Thursday and Friday so I can help if you like.

Later, Phil

I am going to leave here on that Friday to come down, probably won't get there till late though...

that airconditioned shop, Can we sleep in there Scott?

Phil, I'm glad to hear that you'll be off that Thursday. I'll plan to be at Scott's no later than noon, and maybe even by 0900. I may want to make that trip to AC Spruce with you, too.

Ron, Phil, Screw, I think we should all chip in a few bucks each to cover Scott's extra expenses. What say you guys? :)

Scott. In my last flying I convince my Kid to cook hamburgers and hot dogs. I paid the food and we sold it cost plus a bit of margin. He made 70 bucks and I got back me expense. this is jsut to insure there was food. water we had 2 5 gallon containers and for late night I hire a DJ and pass the hat for the beers collection.

hope all goes well
ChuckP

I gotta be carefull. I talked to the guy who holds the rights to the runway, and told him, He said to be carefull because of insurance liabilities. So as long as it is a "get tegether" and not a "Fly-in Event" (i.e. no advertising and inviting general public) we should be fine. We just have to keep it low key we should be fine,

Screw-In

O.K. The SX Get Together is on. I'm planning on making some donations so that Scott will not have to come out of pocket to much.

Screw-Out

I did the same thing when Port authority question I said, HEY I ahve alot of friends. 20 aircraft and 400 peoples. Becasue i am friendly. If not the cost for a Flying is 5k rent and 1million in liability insurance

ChuckP

I have Buddy coming down with me for the fly in. He isn't a gyro pilot but he is good company.

I just hope it quits freakin raining every evening! I have either tried to cut grass, or go flying the last 2 evenings and it has started raining, just too dang wet.

Scott, if it's too wet to use the runway, surely, even Ron can see the logic in postponing it till it's dry. If we try to bush hog the runway when it's too wet, then you'll have ruts in the runway. There will be other weekends. If it was a paved runway, it would be different.

Chuck you can come up some other weekend. Others have made arrangements to go and have to stick to the plan. I am going to have to double up on my work to be done by Friday at lunch so I can load up and hit the highway by Friday late afternoon. I hve a friend who is making all kinda of arrangements to be able to go cause he likes gyros and wants to go hang out with us.

You have to think back to a time long ago when you were a working man. A married man. A man who has to plan things out a few weeks in advance. We are all not able to just jump in the truck on a whim and head down there any old time. Arrangements have to be made in advance....

Think of John Stevens, He is buying a ton of food to have us something to eat. Should he wait till the very last minute to go shopping cause of the weather? No. And what if the weather does turn for the worse? should he be forced to throw out all his food cause some of us are to picky to trailer there dirty gyros in the rain? Cause the chance of a afternoon shower or a little rain at night is going to scare off a few people? I say no. Not to mention John works a 6 day a week job and has to shut down his business on the busiest day - saturday - to be able to attend. He has made his arrangements and has to stick with them. Think of the working man Chuck!

I am going to Mentone this year. I that is only 2 weeks away from Scotts get together. If Scott decides to postpone it, I am not going to be abe to go unless he changes the date for sometime in August. We still have 9 more days to go.... There has been a stalled front over the south for the last week and a half or better. I think there is a good chance that over the next 9 days it may move on and bring us better weather. If not we can still get together, still be able to fly, and still have a good time. We have gotten hammered here too with rain, but there hasn't been one day yet that I couldn't have flown for at least a hour or two in the afternoon. It is summer time in the south, Afternoon thunderstorms being possible are a part of life and we have to deal with it.

So have i given you enough Crap yet? Do I need to keep going? lol Scott stay with the plan, I have put together a few fly ins and can tell you changing the dates in case it may rain will kill this fly in.

Ron, you've got to be one of the most adamant people I've ever known. What if it's not dry enough to mow? Do you want to ruin the runway? There is a 30 to 60 percent chance of rain for the next ten days at Scott's place.

Whether you like it or not, rain does change peoples plans.

As far as John and the food, we have such a thing as freezers down here. I'll bet John has one too.

Wake up, Ron. Get real. I hope it works out that it will be dry. . . . but what if it doesen't?