PDA

View Full Version : Trike Comparison

RonBonnell
10-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Somebody was asking about gyros in the Trike forum and I just happened to be looking into this recently, so I responded with what I have come to understand from reading. What say you gyronaughts?<br><br>I will copy a bit of the post here just to see if anyone else has a different perspective. Feel free to correct me where I am way off base. I make no claims to great insight! Thanks.<br><br>From: &nbsp; Dave Sharafinski &lt;finski4@e...&gt; <br>Date: &nbsp;Thu Oct 30, 2003 &nbsp;8:27 am<br>Subject: &nbsp;Gyrocopters<br> <br>Gyro's have always intrigued me. I followed them for a brief time through<br>Rotorcraft magazine. That was years ago. Can anyone compare them to triking,<br>for example? Or is that like comparing a blender to a toaster oven? Does<br>anyone know if they have a Yahoo Group like ours? Finski <br><br> From: &nbsp; &quot;ronbonnell&quot; &lt;RonBonnell@a...&gt; <br>Date: &nbsp;Fri Oct 31, 2003 &nbsp;4:35 pm<br>Subject: &nbsp;Re: Gyrocopters<br><br> <br>I have been looking into them a bit, but have never flown or even seen one in person. I am just learning Trike but Gyros are appealing to me for the following reasons. These aren't gospel truth and everyone can argue about the exceptions to the rule, but this is<br>what I have found from my research.<br><br>Pros:<br><br>1. Are nowhere near bumped around by the wind. Thermals aren't much of a concern. So you can be out in in much worse conditions and even in somewhat windy conditions you will be more comfortable on a gryo.<br><br>2. Take up much less space because there is no big wing you need to cover. I hear of people being able to hangar them for free in the corner of someone's hangar. I am not sure about set up time in comparison if you trailer them.<br><br>3. Can get them enclosed so I could use better in the winter up here.<br><br>4. Do not stall.<br><br>5. In general are faster.<br><br>6. Around here many airports won't let you hangar a Trike, but they say they will let in an N numbered experimental. Now putting a number on a Trike still wouldn't get you through the door, I think, but I believe an experimental gyro would be accepted. Though there<br>are issues with that as well, as some AP require insurance.<br><br>Cons:<br><br>1. Use more fuel, are less efficient.<br><br>2. Many fatalities, due to Push Over problem which are supposedly corrected on new Center Line Thrust with Horiz Stabilizers on pushers and tractors.<br><br>3. More difficult to find instruction due to number 2 above.<br><br>4. Can't fly them from the water, unless you want even more of number 2 above.<br><br>5. Can't use a BRS.<br><br>I am interested in both, along with PPG. I picked up the Trike (FIB) for water capability, but otherwise if the Push Over problem is truly solved it appears the gyros can be safer than Trikes and I very much like the idea of better handling of wind and the lack of a wing to store or set up each time. The variance of speed to almost a near hover has got to add some variety as well. I think we need both!<br><br><br>To which someone else responded: <br><br>From: &nbsp; &quot;ron_reagan25&quot; &lt;ron_reagan25@h...&gt; <br>Date: &nbsp;Fri Oct 31, 2003 &nbsp;5:20 pm<br>Subject: &nbsp;Re: Gyrocopters<br><br>Gyros have 5 times as many moving parts to break.<br>Even the best have a severe shake that is an aquired taste.<br>They require LOT's of power and will wear out engines due to the<br>need for upper limits of rpm range.<br>Etc..etc...<br>The list could go on for quite a long time and I like gyros.<br>---------------------<br><br>Any other thoughts? Not looking for flame wars here about whos flying machine is better, but just trying help some of out in thinking through what we would like to do. Thanks.<br>

11-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Ron,<br><br> &nbsp;I think your friend is was a little harsh in his assessment of gyros.<br><br> &nbsp;Stick shake can be reduced to very tolerable limits, nothing approaching &quot;severe&quot;. &nbsp;The &quot;wearing out&quot; engines statement is a bit stretched too. &nbsp;I have a lot of respect for the trikes but can't see myself &quot;swinging&quot; like they do in very moderate turbulence. 5 times more moving parts....OK, as long as they all move, what's the problem?<br><br> <br>

Aussie_Paul
11-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Here in Oz we have a number of trikes converted to gyroplanes. I think we call them gykes. I do not have any pics so I will see if I can chase a couple up.<br><br>We had a rule that did not allow back to front controls. <br><br>No good &quot;forcing an old dog to learn new tricks,&quot; so that rule had to be amended to allow the gyke guys to fly legally.<br><br>If you live in an area that does not have a lot of wind a trike is ok, nice and cheap on gas. If you want to fly at any time in any conditions a gyro is the only recreational aircraft to have. I have flown 100 miles to a flyin with trikes and ultralight fixed wingers, only to have the weather cut up rough for the trip home. They all arrive home sweating and exhausted and I just get out all relaxed. Don't they just love that!!!! ??? <br><br>Aussie Paul.

pbradley
11-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Ron, I fly gyros and have passengered in a trike several times. &nbsp;Apart from the obvious reverse controls, the bit I don't particularly like about trikes is their high work-load landings. &nbsp;The pilot is really working hard on final, especially with any crosswind, to keep it in control. &nbsp;By comparison, the experienced gyro pilot is in a very relaxed mode when about to and during flare with no ground roll to be concerned about. <br>Pete

Echo
11-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Paul &amp; Pete are spot on with their comparison. I flew my first gyro in '87, I had 1hr instruction in a glider then went out ( pig head ) &amp; flew without any further instruction. Looking back with what I know now that was extremely stupid &amp; dangerous &amp; don't advocate for one minute ANYBODY doing the same. Having said that I have done 10 hrs training in a trike &amp; gave up - I could'nt get the hang of landing it . The work load was too much &amp; I wasnt enjoying it. We did go for a fly early one morning in calm conditions &amp; that was really good until the wind picked up. I think I will stick with rotors.<br> &nbsp; Cheers Eric :P

DougKspokane
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Several years ago, when I first got interested in &quot;Bensen Gyroplanes&quot;, I stopped in to the local FAA office. &nbsp;I got talking with a fellow who worked there and asked questions about ultralights and gyrocopters in particular. &nbsp;He said (but I doubt you would get any of them to go out on THIS limb, now) that &quot;If you gotta fly ultralights, the gyrocopter is the most stable in rough air.&quot; &nbsp;High praise from a government operative! &nbsp;I have just got to build me one of these... and get the training I need.