PDA

View Full Version : Instrument pods - small ones?

KDOG
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I really like the Starbee instrument pod, but I'm hoping I can find a smaller one. Theres' someone on the forums here that has a nice looking white gyrobee with a smaller pod that looks perfect. I think his name is Dale Young. Where did you get that pod Dale?

Jazzenjohn
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Ralph mentioned this one to me
http://www.sportpilotairsports.com/vendors/skydat/skydat-sx.htm#sx1

RotoTony
06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
John
Thats a cool little pod.
Tony

Heron
06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Here is one home made.

cgmg
06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Try www.airstuff.com. They have a couple of different pod configurations. Not sure how small you're looking for. And they're great people to do business with, good prices, stand behind their products, and are super-friendly.

pwongkit
06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Here is another one home made. :)
pwongkit

CLS447
06-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Air Command has a very nice small pod. I tried to post pic but file was too large. From the pics I have , it appears to be VERY nice.

I believe the cost is $275. I could email you the pics if you are interested. Or just call Doug at AC. Tell him Chris sent you!

GyroRon
06-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Not that most people would like this, but there is no reason you have to have a pod at all, if you really think about it. Why couldn't you mount the instruments on a flat sheet of clear lexan, or 1/8th inch thick aluminum and allow the back side of the instruments to be exposed? If your only talking about two or three instruments, as long as you do a nice job with the wires, I think it would look okay.

Just Plain Bob - Robert Rominger - had one of the first Dominator Ultrawhites. He decided he needed alots of instruments, so he made a panel about 1 foot square, cut his holes and mounted it all up. He just mounted this panel to the front of the keel, just as you would normally mount a pod on a gyro and it looked fine, although a little weird.

Your not going to find a cheaper panel than a piece of aluminum or perhaps tinted lexan..... Well I take that back, if you follow David Holmes posts, you will see he likes to make his instrument panels out of plastic Mailboxes easily found at any home improvement store. And if you think about it, it sounds like a perfect pod. Light, very cheap, can use it for in flight storage since it has a door on the side, aerodynamic... :)

KDOG
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, Ron you may be on to something there! Actually 1/16 is stiff enough for instruments, if you beef up the edges with some 1 1/2" angle. You got me thinking now. I just need to decide what instruments I would have on my bird and design accordingly.

Maybe I'll mount the panels on either side of the seat like I've seen on someones bird here in the forums. Engine instruments on one side, flying instruments on the other...hmmm....

Don't know about the mailboxes though....

Heron
06-15-2005, 11:48 AM
That pic I posted is an electric plastic box, I think is easy to find in any HOme Depot or similar store.
Heron

REDHORSE556CES
06-15-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm hoping to use the Stratomaster TC-1 (four channel temperature for 2xEGT and 2XCHT) and the Stratomaster Flight-2 (ASI, ALT, TACH, VSI, Voltmeter and Fuel Level Indicator). They're 3.5" instruments. And at that size you could just about stuff both of those in one of those 2.5 pound coffee cans. Izzat small enuff?

RICK MARTIN
06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Just an idea.

martylunsford@h
06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I have this old ship's compass that I want to mount in my gyrobee when I'm finished with it. Does anyone make an instument pod that will hold a ship's compass? It needs to be pretty sturdy. The compass weighs about 80 pounds.

gyroparts
06-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Marty, trying to mount that on a Gyrobee seems like a rediculous idea. I am just winding the keel of my gyro with 10,000 turns of copper wire. Since the gyro is hanging by the rotor bearing, when I apply current to the coils, the entire gyro will swing around and point north. This is much easier and weighs 7 pounds less than your ships compass. :D

scottessex
06-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Try this, Looky here.
http://www.air-techinc.com/classlist.asp?classID=instrumentpods&typ=avionics

KDOG
06-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Those pods look pretty decent, scott.

Dana from Starbee wrote me and let me know that Dales pod IS the Starbee pod just turned on its side. LOL! I'm a goof....

Timchick
06-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Here's another pod source.

https://www.ismi.com/airstuff/category.cfm?categoryid=479

Dale Young
06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
KDOG, I got the pod from Skysports(airstuff.com) , and then I just fabed out a pedistal for it. I think that the pod went for around $85.00.

Timchick
06-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Skysports is the link I provided above.

KDOG
06-17-2005, 05:18 AM
They're $125.00 now. Hmmm. I may get that one and make my own mount as well. I just have to look around. I like it on its side better than vertical too....