PDA

View Full Version : Rotordyne Rotor Blades

jimh1
06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Hello,
Was looking around for a set of rotor blades (since I trashed mine!) and came across a set of new Rotordynes. Would like to know if anyone has had any experience with these? Good, Bad, or what ever.... would like to hear from you!
Thanks,
Jim

Dale Young
06-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Jim, I have a set of Rotordynes on my Gyrobee(25 ft). I like them very much. They are very smooth as well. I have'nt a bad thing to say about them. I don't have any experience with Dragon Wings, but people who have them,like them also. Rotordyne owners seem to be a minority around here.

Doug Riley
06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Rotordyne has a long history. Bud and Steve Phaneuf founded the company back in the late 60's. Their blades were well-regarded. When they sold the company to its next owner (Laszlo ??), the bonding quality went downhill. Blades began delaminating, although I don't of any catastrophic failures. A used set from that era (roughly late 70's, 80's through late 90's) probably deserves not to fly.

Next, Tracy Hanson bought the design. Everyone hated the cardboard boxes he used to ship the blades, but he got one of the Phaneuf brothers to recreate the original bonding process. I have a set of Hanson-era Rotordynes and like them just fine. I know of no bond failures on R-D blades from that time period. Joe Souza bought out Tracy a few years ago and I believe continues the brand to this day.

Rotordynes use a flat-bottomed airfoil with more reflex than Dragon Wings. This makes R-D's much easier to hand start without destructive flapping. It also makes them less efficient than D-W's, however.

gyropilot
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Rotordynes use a flat-bottomed airfoil with more reflex than Dragon Wings. This makes R-D's much easier to hand start without destructive flapping. It also makes them less efficient than D-W's, however.I concur with Doug.

I loved the 24' Rotordyne blades I started gyro flying with... very easy to hand start... very forgiving (to not flap)... and smooth.

The 23' Dragon Wing blades I now fly with are much better performers and are lighter. However, Dragon Wings are *much* more prone to start flapping and are a real PITA to hand start. You can get pretty lazy with those trusty old Rotordynes.

John L.

gyroplanes
06-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I too flew and loved my Rotordynes (from the Phaneuf era) My friend has a set of the Hansen era blades for sale real cheap, but they're long (see classifieds on web site www.gyroclub.com

My Dragon Wings were impossible for me or anyone in my club to handstart, but offer improved performance and great price.

I met the new owners of Rotordyne at Bensen Days. I don't believe Joe Souza is involved anymore.

Friendly
06-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Nice web page, what were the 28 footer used on?

gyroplanes
06-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Two place SnoBird Adventurer with the Honda CAM 100 engine. Chuck opted for the big chord, elastomeric Sport Copter rotors.

I really like our web site. I hope to have some access to it soon so I can fill in the history portion. As you might imagine a club as old as our's has quite a history.

gyroplanes
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I just went to the site and noticed the blades ad has two different prices. $1,000 & $1,200. I'll bet the lesser is the current price. Chuck is in Buckeye, AZ. (GBA Sparrowhawk) right now but is reachabe by his e-mail address: gyrochuck@yahoo.com

gyromike
06-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I have a 24 ft. set of Rotordynes (actually 23'8") that I was using on my Bensen.
I now fly with 23' Dragon Wings, and echo all the comments above.

When the Dominator is done, I'll use the Dragon Wings on it, and put the Rotordynes back on the Bensen.

Ernie would probably shoot me if he caught me with Rotordynes on a Dominator!

Rick Whittridge
06-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I fly the Rotordynes!

GeorgeBass
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I know that most of the current opinions support the SportCopter, or the
DragonWings blades, but, I've had a set of 23' Rotordyne blades that got
damaged (when used by another pilot on his machine) & I'd be very, very
happy, to purchase another set of these (in 24' configuration).

If I have my way, I would be buying a set of 10' blades with a 4' hub bar,
but, would be very glad to buy a set of 11' blades with a shorter hub bar.

Altho I did contact, directly, at least 2 sellers in possession of RotorDyne
blades, but, neither person has agreed to sell the blades, for their own
reasons. I have no idea why they had advertised them for sale, but, then
refused to sell them.

If there's anyone on this forum that actually does have a set of functional,
flyable, undamaged, complete, Rotordyne blades (actually for sale & not just
"testing the waters"), please e-mail me at: george_bass_0@hotmail.com, or
call me ASAP at: 928-567-0553. Please leave a number if I'm not available,
& I WILL get back to you as soon as humanly possible.

I'm very serious about this purchase, & would like to be in the air again,
soon. The only real requirements I have are already stated in the above
paragraph, & that the blades MUST BE TWENTY-FOUR FEET OVERALL.

Any assistance in this matter would be gratefully appreciated.

George

giro5
09-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I probably saw more gyros with Rotodynes at the KBFF last weekend than any thing else. But I thought the fellow who just passed away now had the rights to make them. (Barnett) But I could have this all mixed up.

GeorgeBass
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Actually, you are correct about Jerry Barnett (recently deceased) having
purchased the rights to produce RotorDyne blades. As I understand it,
there's a remote chance that another member of his family could take up the
challenge to accomplish what Mr. Barnett had intended....... that of making
his own designed blades AND the RotorDyne blades.

Perhaps I'm just doing some wishful thinking, or unrealistically expecting some
"new blood" to take the helm of that ship and provide new life for the blades
that I was happy with, for many reasons. Either way, I do hope Rotordynes
are not lost, along with one of the legends of this part of aviation.

My thanks to all the people on this list that have offered their suggestions to
help me locate blades, but, I'm still on the hunt, so far. I had intended to
make the KBFF myself this year, but, since I had no gyro to fly, and business
was not up to par for us, I was not able. Next year for sure, gyro or not.!!

Lspav8r
10-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I have a set of Jerrie Barnetts original design rotorblades brand new in the box with blade straps. The problem, which im not sure how big it is yet, is that Jerrie was going to make me one of those new Hub bars in 40 inch length, which with my Barnett blades would come to 23.4" but since im new to this stuff and wont need blades for about two years for the B8M I am selling them. They are going for 1000.00 or best offer. Never been on a machine and for that matter have never been out of the box except to inspect them. They are white and they are pristeen barnett blades. 7" chord.

Friendly
10-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Rotordynes use a flat-bottomed airfoil with more reflex than Dragon Wings. This makes R-D's much easier to hand start without destructive flapping. It also makes them less efficient than D-W's, however.
Doug,
I thought DW were more efficient due to twist, thickness, and weight.
Would you discuss the reflex more? Bensen had a large reflex also didn't it?