PDA

View Full Version : Furia pdf homebuilt helicopter construction plans

scandtours
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I’ve never heard/seen one of this before and wondering if somebody has built/flown one

FURIA PDF HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER CONSTRUCTION PLANS

http://www.sfu.ca/~jst4/plans/docs/misc/Ultralight%20Furia%20Helicopter%20Plans.pdf
http://www.plansdelivery.com/

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Those are the plans of the Cicare CH-4.

Barney Bahle
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Those are the plans of the Cicare CH-4.

Are you sure? I didn't look at them too close but I thought it was the Skylark from the Vortech site. I'm not familiar with the CH-4. Could they all be the same?

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Are you sure? I didn't look at them too close but I thought it was the Skylark from the Vortech site. I'm not familiar with the CH-4. Could they all be the same?

The Cicaré CH-4 made the first flight on Dec, 1983. The drafstman and seller of the plans, Osvaldo Durana was argentine also, tragically dead on an accident at his home.
His father was a friend and business partner with Cicaré years before the CH-4.
The Vortech Skylark was built from these plans, yes, I'm sure.

HobbyCAD
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, The CH-4 plans were initially distributed, but not sold for too long. I also purchased a set. From these set of CH-4 plans, Joel at Vortech built a 100% copy helicopter, and marketed it as the Skylark kit. Seems like Osvaldo has redrawn the CH-4 plans in CAD, and now markets it as the Furia, but in .pdf format.

As they are basically "freeware", I can e-mail a scanned low-res copy of my set, if anyone is interested to learn more about the machine.

Regards,

Francois

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes, The CH-4 plans were initially distributed, but not sold for too long. I also purchased a set. From these set of CH-4 plans, Joel at Vortech built a 100% copy helicopter, and marketed it as the Skylark kit. Seems like Osvaldo has redrawn the CH-4 plans in CAD, and now markets it as the Furia, but in .pdf format.

As they are basically "freeware", I can e-mail a scanned low-res copy of my set, if anyone is interested to learn more about the machine.

Regards,

Francois

Who draft your set of plans, Francois? was not Osvaldo Durana?

Barney Bahle
08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Very interesting. I bought my Dad a CD off eBay for like six bucks. It had your general incomplete plans for half a dozen homebuilts, a bunch of other random helicopter info, and the seemingly detailed and maybe even complete plans for the Furia. Mom said she couldn't get him off the computer for days. All in all it was well worth the six bucks.

HobbyCAD
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Who draft your set of plans, Francois? was not Osvaldo Durana?

Juan, I'll have to check on them when I get home from work today. My set seems original Cicaré, it has a print batch serial number on them as well.

Regards,

Francois

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Juan, I'll have to check on them when I get home from work today. My set seems original Cicaré, it has a print batch serial number on them as well.

Regards,

Francois

As far as i know, Cicaré itself never sold plans of the CH-4, the only ones are these drafted by Osvaldo Durana, and were made years after the flight of the prototype. Cicaré built the CH-4 without plans, just sketches.

I am almost sure that the Skylark was built using the Furia plans.

Best regards, Juan Carlos

HobbyCAD
08-20-2012, 05:09 PM
JC, I got my set from them in 1990, while I lived in Chile. Later on in 1991, I moved to the US, where I stayed in Bethesda. I travelled up to Fallston near Baltimore to meet with Joel Levin of Vortech, where I swapped him the CH-4 plans in a trade for a bunch of other plans he had. Not that there is any credit due, but I was rather surprised that it happened this way, Joel must have used that exact set I swapped him to build the Skylark. The Furia set of plans only became available much later, and my set are most definitely not the Furia published set. The title blocks on the drawings are in the name of the Cicaré company, why would Osvaldo include that on Furia distributed plans?

Anyway, they are all copied drawings of one and the same thing, Mr Cicaré's original and extremely novel CH-4 helicopter. A lot of what we see today, can be directly attributed to this masterful little helicopter.

As I have often said, my dream is to have a copy of that original little CH-6, have a look at the little ripper.

Cicare CH-6 in Argentina - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opbqq7y_VxA)

HeliCycle's, Mosquito's, Rotorway's, Safari's, any other machine you can think of, eat your hearts out !!! Gabor, tell me you are not as horny as hell when you see those torque turn chandelles !! As my kids would say, "it's gangsta Dad"! ...and I would have to reply, "it's just the way I roll..."

My Skeeter Jr. project is as close as possible a copy of this CH-6 that I can figure out, using the Mini-500 dynamic components.

I'll post a page of my drawings in this thread tonight.

Regards,

Francois

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Let me ask Fernando tomorrow, I'll send a e-mail to him about this history.

Cicaré built the CH-4 in the early years of the ultralights, thinking that he could fly it without pilot license, but finally, a License for UL was established by the civil aviation, so the reason for the CH-4 faded away. By that time he was working with the CH-5 agricultural helicopter, and the CH-6 was built only to check the dinamics of the CH-5, because the wait for the Lycoming engine for the CH-5 prototype became very long.

The CH-6 of the video was built specially for Gustavo"gato" Brea, the test pilot of the CH-5, and it is a little reinforced, and heavier than the original CH-6, but still fly very well with the Rotax 582.
And the credit is also for my friend Mr. Brea, one of the best pilots here, Air Force officer and veteran of the Malvinas/Falklands war. He can do almost anything with a helicopter, includes loops and rolls with the H-500.

HobbyCAD
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
JC, my pages all have the serial number 891203 stamped on them. Maybe it's the publication date of 3rd of December 1989? Attached some low res scans. As you have claimed, they were drawn by Osvaldo R. Durana.

HobbyCAD
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
When I saw the early Mini-500 promo video's, I fell in love with the original prototype machine advertised, instead of the production Mini-500 as we all know it today. Check the video here, especially the scenes starting from from 2:18. Check out Dennis hurling it around the sky.

History of Mini 500 Helicopter - Part2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkFcdGF2Sk)

I have attached some more pictures, seems like it was repainted a couple of times. Check how slick Dennis looks in his younger days, with his white slacks and shoes.

There is even a turbine version in there, the one flown by Mr Cicaré himself.

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
JC, my pages all have the serial number 891203 stamped on them. Maybe it's the publication date of 3rd of December 1989? Attached some low res scans. As you have claimed, they were drawn by Osvaldo R. Durana.

Thanks Francois, for take the time and clarify the history. I think that the 891203 is the date and S/N of your set, but I'm not sure.

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
I have pictures on paper of me seated on the CH-4 with 23 years old, (I'm 53 now) ...imagine the shock it was when he presented the little chopper to the public at the local EAA fly in convention in the '83, nobody known about that, I remember passing the weekend near the helicopter.

The turbine engine tested on the CH-6 was built by Gustavo Labala, another mechanical genius here, was even certified and test flown in a C-182. But Cicaré designed and made the PSRU for that engine.

http://gustavolabala.com.ar/gfl-2000/

J.C.Casabuono
08-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Videos with the turbine engine:

GFL 2000 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/19530091)

Primeros Saltos on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/20204006)

GFL 32 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/19733472)

Captainzim
08-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi
Is the company still making the trubine engine and can it be purchased in the US? Went to site but having trouble translating everything. Looks like the last time web site was updated was 2011.
Thanks

J.C.Casabuono
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi
Is the company still making the trubine engine and can it be purchased in the US? Went to site but having trouble translating everything. Looks like the last time web site was updated was 2011.
Thanks

The web page says that he sold the rights of the GLF2000 engine to Florestan Technologies, with headquarters in Sydney, Australia, and subsidiaries in Argentina and USA.
Unfortunately, no serial production for aviation, just generators.

http://www.florestan.com.ar/compact-turbine.html

hillberg
08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
20 years behind the RotorMouse, Wellcome to the club.

J.C.Casabuono
08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
20 years behind the RotorMouse, Wellcome to the club.

I didn't understand, sorry...

hillberg
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
The RotorMouse was built in 1992 ,A turbine powered "kit" Helicopter after the mouse The jet Exec was built (Kiss Aviation) , An Angle CH-7 was converted to a T-62 A2-1 in 1995 (Rick from ERA in Alaska) and then the Helicycle goes turbine. Wellcome to the club. It's a special group of people who like the smell of burning jet fuel & the whine of smooth power.

J.C.Casabuono
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
The RotorMouse was built in 1992 ,A turbine powered "kit" Helicopter after the mouse The jet Exec was built (Kiss Aviation) , An Angle CH-7 was converted to a T-62 A2-1 in 1995 (Rick from ERA in Alaska) and then the Helicycle goes turbine. Wellcome to the club. It's a special group of people who like the smell of burning jet fuel & the whine of smooth power.

Ahhh Tks, the GLF 2000 was also built by an experimenter, thats good ...

Movieman
11-21-2012, 10:15 PM

Regards,

Francois
could you email me a copy of these plans, if you can the email is movieman@hughes.net, Thank you

James

Blue Chips
11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Here is a very nice chronological history of this remarkable little craft.

http://www.helis.com/timeline/cicare.php

Are plans for the CH-6 still available, does anyone know?

Also any details on the control system that was the inspiration for the name Revolution Helicopters.

Thanks
Ken

jehicks87
05-09-2013, 05:04 AM
bump. i'm curious about the ch-6 as well...

J.C.Casabuono
05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
No plans of the CH-6, as far as I know...

jehicks87
05-09-2013, 09:02 PM
what is the difference between the ch-4 and ch-6?

Jincamty
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Post 24 from Ken will answer that.

Brilliant man, Mr Cicare.

J.C.Casabuono
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
what is the difference between the ch-4 and ch-6?

CH-4 have an engine built by Cicaré with vertical crankshaft, main transmission with paralel shaft gears and near the rotor head. Rotor blades made of sheet metal with multiple tubular spars, as you can see in the plans posted.

CH-6 was more conventional, with Rotax engine, set horizontal with V belts primary transmission and 90 deg main gearbox, rotor head with spindles, and the unique in those years control system without conventional swash plate.

CH-6 primary built to test CH-5 dynamic system, so a little larger than the CH-4.

jehicks87
05-10-2013, 12:42 AM
I wonder how the ch-4 compares to the mosquito in flight characteristics? Hmmm...

Edited to add:

I've just stumbled on a site (redbackaviation) that details in-depth the development and evolution of Cicare Helicopters. Jincamty, the link in post #24 didn't say much about the differences between the two other than to say the control system utilized in the CH-6 was patented. But now I think I more in-depth understanding. For instance, I didn't know the Mini-500 was basically a copy of the CH-6. Really cool!

The new CH-7's look veeeery sexy, I might add.