PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito incidents/accidents ???

Fly Army
05-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I just did a quick scan of the NTSB database for any Mosquito accidents and could not find any. However there is XEL memorial video tribute on youtube claiming that this particular person was the Mosquito's first fatality. Do any of you know more concerning this designs accident/incident record ?

Thanks,
Randy

twistair
05-02-2009, 09:40 AM
NTSB database Does this database cover unregistered FAR103 ultralights as well?

PW_Plack
05-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Does this database cover unregistered FAR103 ultralights as well?

Nope. Unless it's particularly significant to accident investigators, or happens in an aircraft type which should legally have been registered but was not, if it doesn't have an N-number, it's not reported in official data.

Fly Army
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=twistair;290902]Does this database cover unregistered FAR103 ultralights as well?[/QUOTE

I thought about this but the NTSB DOES have an ultralight selection on their pull-down menu under the Category sub heading. Although I do realize that most if not all of the fields that these type aircraft operate out of do not exactly lend themselves to instant gummint contact. But if there had be a fatal that certainly would have to come up on the radar somewhere.

Arnie Madsen
05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I just did a quick scan of the NTSB database for any Mosquito accidents and could not find any. However there is XEL memorial video tribute on youtube claiming that this particular person was the Mosquito's first fatality. Do any of you know more concerning this designs accident/incident record ?

Thanks,
Randy
Randy I have followed the Mosquito closely from the beginning (I might build one) As far as I know the only incident was a float equipped XEL that the pilot flipped on a small pond .

(From memory ... so be aware !!!) I think it was NE USA maybe New England etc. Older pilot . It was pilot error and I think drowning was cause of death.

For sure it was nothing to do with the machine itself. I have the article somewhere and If I find it I will post it so you have the accurate information.

Arnie

brett s
05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Was in New Hampshire, and yes that's the guy.

Arnie Madsen
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Here is some info I had saved. Sad situation, apparantly Jim was a swell guy who was always willing to help others in the homebuilt category.

================================================== ==============
July 21, 2007 9:03 AM

NEW IPSWICH (AP) — The pilot of a home-assembled helicopter that crashed into water Thursday was in critical condition Friday at a Massachusetts hospital, police said.
No one saw the crash, but police said pilot James Starbuck, 60, a New Ipswich resident, apparently was underwater for about five minutes. They said he was pulled out the Souhegan River by his girlfriend, Barbara Graham, and a passerby who had boated out after seeing the craft in the water.
Starbuck was taken to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough, then transferred to the UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where he was in critical condition Friday.
Federal investigators helped identify the helicopter as a Mosquito XEL made from a kit. Based on that, the crash did not require further federal investigation.
The single-seat chopper crashed in about six feet of water. Witnesses said Starbuck had been practicing takeoffs and landings when the chopper flipped over and sank in what initially was described as a pond.
“I heard, like, the splash of something ... and I knew right away that the guy, he was either in the water or something happened,” witness Nathan Sikkila told WMUR-TV. “So we turned around and went down to look, and we found the helicopter upside down.”
Sikkila helped rescue Starbuck.
A friend, Roland Coats, said Starbuck had been working on the chopper for some time.
“He’s been just hovering a little bit with it,” Coats said. “But it looks like he tried to take it out a little bit further than he has in the past.”
================================================== ===============

If this link still works there may be a submerged picture & one after it was pulled up.
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/NEWS01/207200361

================================================== ============

Like I mentioned earlier , I know of no mechanical issues to cause concern on the Mosquito helicopter. It was unfortunate for this to happen to Jim Starbuck , if his family or freinds read this , we continue to extend our condolences.

Arnie

PW_Plack
05-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't believe there's any legal requirement to notify the NTSB in the case of an ultralight vehicle accident, even if it's fatal. They're not defined as aircraft in the US, rather as "aerial vehicles."

Arnie Madsen
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Was in New Hampshire, and yes that's the guy.
Thank you Brett. Your post helped me to locate my files. Your memory is better than mine. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Helicopters go down once in a while. I have never enjoyed the news. But for some reason Jim Starbuck , according to those who knew him best , spoke of him in a way that makes me wish I was priveleged to know him personally.

.................................................. ......................

To the family and friends of Jim Starbuck , the gentleman who tipped his Mosquito Helicopter in his favorite practice pond , Many of us had attached ourselves to his helicopter build project through the years . Yet what stands out most is the character of the man.

It seems to fly higher than most of us have ever reached. The great character such as he showed seems to lasts a lot longer than any flying machine. These things we remember. We Always will. Blessings to you all.

From all the members and guests of Rotary Wing Forum

Fly Army
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Okay Guys
Thanks for the info.
Randy

RangeFlyer72
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
As you folks know, I own/fly a Mosquito XE3. Like any other experimental helo, there have been a few SB's issued by the factory. The good thing is they have each been relatively inexpensive, (I think the factory charges no more than their cost) and easy for the builder to complete. The helicopter flies really well, and maintenance straight forward, without surprises. I highly recommend the Mosquito to anyone wanting an inexpensive helicopter that flies on demand. I find it much easier to handle than the R22, a real joy to fly.
Dave